2004 - 2008 F-150

Steering column noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005 | 03:49 AM
|
Steering column noise

Hey guys,

I have a 05 lariet with 6800 miles. The othre day I noticed a really bad rubbing noise in the steering column. Went to the service center, but it stopped on my way there. Has anyone else had this problem.

Also, how do you get the dealer to reflash the CPU. I Complained about take off, about trans clunck (which mine has), I even asked for it to be done and the best response I gotis " well come back in about 2 weeks and we will have ours trans shop look at it and if they think the reflash would help we will do it.

Thanks for all input

Old 10-22-2005 | 08:10 AM
An upfront tip If you do get your truck re-flashed, make sure your dealerships service department puts an “Authorized Modification” sticker under the hood somewhere or you’ll be screwed later on if you decide to get custom tuning done.

this is what it looks like

Old 10-22-2005 | 10:33 AM
My truck has just over 2000 miles and I notice a squeek / rubbing noise when I turn the wheel in the interior steering column area.

Old 10-22-2005 | 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=jpdadeo]An upfront tip If you do get your truck re-flashed, make sure your dealerships service department puts an “Authorized Modification” sticker under the hood somewhere or you’ll be screwed later on if you decide to get custom tuning done.

this is what it looks like
[QUOTE]

Just a question.. but why would you be screwed? I have the reciept from the reflash but no sticker... ?

Also I got my reflash done by going in and telling them that there was a rough idle (which there was), the acceleration lag. and before I could say anything else the service lady said "no problem, we'll take care of it for you"

Old 10-22-2005 | 11:14 AM
The receipt won’t have the new PCM code on it and you need the new code if you ever get custom tuning. If you never get custom tuning then there’s no problem

Old 10-22-2005 | 03:47 PM
i had mine reflashed about 6 weeks ago, and they never put a sticker on my truck...

I was looking at getting an Xcal2... Am i screwed?

Old 10-22-2005 | 03:51 PM
Suspended
I have a racheting noise in mine all of a sudden.

Old 10-22-2005 | 03:57 PM
steering wheel rubbing

I too noticed a slight rubbing feeling when turning the wheel.

Old 10-22-2005 | 05:51 PM
Same here while turning the steering wheel multiple turns. Also have some sort of ratteling down by my feet over bumps. Any ideas?

Old 10-22-2005 | 05:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I've had good results with mixing a friction modifier slurry to fix squeaking noises in the steering column...what you're hearing is actually in the rack and is transmitting through the steering shafts and column. There is a TSB on this for the Lincoln LS and Aviator, but I've found it works just as well on anything else. Drain all the old power steering fluid, mix about 2 ounces of XL-3 friction modifier with 2 ounces of Mercon transmission fluid, dump that crap in the reservoir and refill it the rest of the way with Mercon. Start the engine, then shut it off after about five seconds or so, top off the fluid once more, repeat until full. Then cycle the steering wheel slowly full lock with the wheels off the ground for a couple minutes with the engine running, then forcefully jam the steering wheel against its stops far left and far right five to six times.

Quick Reply: Steering column noise