2004 - 2008 F-150

Q45 HID Retrofit in 2005 lariat

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HIDPLANET
Duke,

No problem, always glad to help.
Also FYI, I had to edit your thread on the "other" forum.
They havent seen any pics of the truck and its going to make its debut in a video.

Yeah I completely forgot about that. I'm sorry for posting those. Thanks for catching them for me!!!

Hey, one more question. How much room is their between the frame or whatever is behind the headlight and the actual headlight? I'm trying to figure out dimensions of the LS430 and how much room there will be for us to "recess" the projector in the headlight.

Then, did you run your wires along the back on the engine bay for your wiring harness? I was thinking just along the front, but then you get to deal with the fan and all that mess.

Thanks again,

Duke

Old 11-23-2005, 01:49 AM
The position of the bulb on my particular retrofit required me to cut away some of the metal behind the headlight. Took some time but with a cutoff wheel and sawzall it wasnt too bad. I would figure you might have to do the same, but it all depends on placement of the projector. As you may know, there is barely room for the halogen plug back there so its a tight fit reguardless.
I mounted the ballasts directly under each headlight to the frame where the ballasts and covers screwed in securely. Wires were all routed along the same paths as the OEM wiring.

Old 11-23-2005, 02:04 AM
What you cut through was magnesium

Old 11-23-2005, 02:55 AM
The position of the bulb on my particular retrofit required me to cut away some of the metal behind the headlight. Took some time but with a cutoff wheel and sawzall it wasnt too bad. I would figure you might have to do the same, but it all depends on placement of the projector. As you may know, there is barely room for the halogen plug back there so its a tight fit reguardless.
I mounted the ballasts directly under each headlight to the frame where the ballasts and covers screwed in securely. Wires were all routed along the same paths as the OEM wiring.
Yikes, I don't have those tools, so hopefull I can come up with something that won't stick out more than 2 inches. I could always connect the bulb with it pulled out and then put the headlight in with it attached.

Now I need to think of covers for the denso ballasts. Are OEM HID ballasts normally covered? I'm guessing just putting them to the frame isn't good enought?

Old 11-23-2005, 03:21 AM
Its not really the the bulb sticking out, because mine didnt stick out any further than the halogen bulb, but its the fact that the P32-D connector from the ballasts is bulky and wouldnt fit without cutting.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Its not really the the bulb sticking out, because mine didnt stick out any further than the halogen bulb, but its the fact that the P32-D connector from the ballasts is bulky and wouldnt fit without cutting.
Oh, the connector from the ballast, yeah that makes sense. Geese I really hope I don't have that problem. I wonder what could come from cutting away at that metal? Voiding warranties on rust or the frame maybe?

Do you think I'll be ok by just putting the ballast below the headlight? Or maybe because of my severe winter weather, should I have it covered? It's an OEM lexus ballast that came on the LS430, which I believe is a denso ballast.

Thanks,

Duke

Old 11-23-2005, 01:44 PM
if its prone to harsh weather, I would really seal it up good in some custom housing. You dont have alot of play with that ballast so youre very limited to mounting solutions. There isnt too many places to mount it, and with your limited wire length, you may have to attach it to the headlight itself, or somewhere very close to it.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:31 PM
if its prone to harsh weather, I would really seal it up good in some custom housing. You dont have alot of play with that ballast so youre very limited to mounting solutions. There isnt too many places to mount it, and with your limited wire length, you may have to attach it to the headlight itself, or somewhere very close to it.
Yeah I guess I'll try and attach it to the bottom of the headlight. Does the other website sell ballasts covers that will fit the denso ballast?

Old 11-23-2005, 07:39 PM
No they are only made to fit Hella. But you can custominze trhem I suppose.

Quick Reply: Q45 HID Retrofit in 2005 lariat