2004 - 2008 F-150

I have a little problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkCowboy
Sorry Guys. I have a 20" monitor on my apple computer and on my screen there is no scrolling required to view the posting. I didn't realize this was not the case on other screens. I didn't mean to annoy anyone.
It's all good, no harm done.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem. The dealership replaced 4 leaking injectors. Pretty high failure rate in my opinion.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:22 PM
I've experienced this same problem with my 05 FX4 since day one, and I agree that it is annoying, but I never really thought that it was something I should have looked at.

Quintin: will this cause any damage to any components that would warrant a trip to the dealer? The prob is that my dealer's service department is a real pain to deal with and the problem is intermittent, so they will probably just give me the old "cannot duplicate problem" line... This is the same dealership that cannot fix a problem that developed with my truck immediately after the reflash: now my truck will bump the rev limiter at the top of 1st gear in drive (when floored) before it hits second (very annoying, causing large "thud" noise and jerky shifts). They just brushed me off and said "We'll have to talk directly to the factory engineers on a solution for that problem" which was a month ago...

...Sorry for getting off of the subject, the main thing is whether or not this problem is worth going into the dealership for or is it just an anoyance (that I can deal with)?

Old 11-23-2005, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this problem! It can be quite scary, I just started having this problem for the past 3 days. I was in the middle of nowhere on a hidden beach (pics coming in my gallery soon) and it did that, I thought the battery was going to die on me out there. Anyways, it starts up on the second time fine, I agree it is embarrassing. My truck has about 52k miles on it.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Here is a link to another thread on the subect. Scroll down to post #40 for more info.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...=212246&page=3

Old 11-23-2005, 06:30 PM

sweet!

Old 11-26-2005, 03:08 PM

Well the truck went to the dealer yesterday and I just got a call and it's ready to pick up. They could not duplicate the problem (what a surprise), but they did reflash the PCM!!!! They said that should help the problem and help with my horrible gas mileage. So hopefully my truck will have a little more pep in it's step. I'm picking it up in a lil bit and I'll report back.

Old 11-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Tardman, Keep me posted. Mine has done it about 4 or 5 times each to my wife and I. Did it today after stopping for lunch.

Old 11-26-2005, 05:40 PM

Well I got it back and everything seems to be fine for now. I didn't notice a huge power gain from a PCM reprogramming like others have, but seeing as I have a 06/05 build date I probably had a good program to start with. I did, however, notice smoother shifts and an engine more willing to downshift for extra passing power. I'm happy with it.

As for the ignition problem all has been well the 4 times I started the truck since picking it up. I'll let you guys know if it happens again. My dealer said that they hooked it up and tested everything under the sun from the battery to the ignition to the coil packs and everything checked out OK, so we'll see... I'll also make an effort to make sure I turn the key enough each time I start it.

Old 11-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll make an appointment for mine tomorrow. By the way, what do you call horrible gas mileage?

Old 11-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Maybe. At least that's where I'd start...these new drive-by-wire engines are very calibration dependent.

ETA - BlkCowboy...the 22s look sick, but it's kinda annoying have to scroll alllllll the way over to the right to view the whole thread 'cause of the monster pictures you got going on (and I'm at 1024x768) in a thread that doesn't really pertain to 'em...not being rude or smartassed or anything, just saying man.
Maybe BlkCowboy should have started with an XL instead of the kingly KR, and then maybe his pictures would be smaller..

Just funnin, BlkCowboy is sure proud of that truck. and rightfully so, these trucks brings the kid out of us all..

With that said, I don't mind scrollin through proud users pictures. We only pass this mother one time.

BTW, my 06 XLT with 2700 miles has never had that problem. I think it might be like BlkCowboy said, turn the key all the way, and wait until she fires to let her go.

Anyway, this is fun place to be, and super fun for a newbie. Me and BlkCowboy are newbies.

Old 11-26-2005, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by expy03
By the way, what do you call horrible gas mileage?
About 13.7 MPG, mixed driving, mostly highway.

Old 11-26-2005, 08:49 PM
I kept track of mine via the Scanguage and would check my wife's driving from the previous day. Usually no more than 11.9 -12.5. I can usually get from 12.5-14.0 around town. The wife makes alot of really short trips. (It's only two miles to Walmart). On the highway, the best I have gotten is 17.7. Today on a 100 mile round trip against a 20-30 knot headwind I got 15.0 going and 18.5 on the way back. (with a tail wind). I think todays avg was 16.4.

Old 12-14-2005, 01:55 AM
Tardman91, has the problem come back?..I have posted several topics on a similar problem and have yet to have it fixed. First time the dealer said my gas was the "wrong kind"...B.S Then they said I needed my engine "decarboned" now they are just trying to figuire it out since nothing has changed. The only common thing I can say is that it never starts hard or stalls when the engine is cold, like when it sits overnight.

Last edited by Deeve; 12-14-2005 at 07:52 AM.

Quick Reply: I have a little problem...