2004 - 2008 F-150

I have a little problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I have a little problem...

Lately when I go to start my truck, when I turn the key it'll go to turn over, but then it dies, like what happens when you don't quite turn the key all the way, but I KNOW I'm turning the key all the way. Then the instrument panel says "CHECK GUAGES." Then it usually starts right up on the second try.
Does anybody else have this problem or have any idea what could be causing it?
Before it only happened occasionally, but it happened twice tonight! I went out to dinner and it happened when I left my apartment and again when I left the resturaunt.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bad gas? Fuel filter?

BTW, the 'check guages' light will illuminate with the truck in the 'on' position and the engine off.

RP

Old 11-22-2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by RockPick
Bad gas? Fuel filter?

BTW, the 'check guages' light will illuminate with the truck in the 'on' position and the engine off.

RP
The gas is the same I usually put in it. It came from the Gate Gas Station. And with only 4500 I doubt it would be the fuel filter. It's going in for an oil change Friday... looks like now they have something else to look at.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:57 PM
My truck does the same thing sometimes... been doing it since day one..

Happens about once or twice a month..

Its not bad gas or a fuel filter.. I have changed my fuel filter 3 times since Ive had my truck. Im at 29k miles now.

I dunno what it is. HOpefully sombody knows.... It's kinda embarassing when it happens

Old 11-22-2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by khendrix2374
It's kinda embarassing when it happens
I know... tell me about it. Have you had your dealer look at it at all?

Old 11-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Moderator &

I'm not sure I'd have his dealer look at much of anything... well, that is unless he bought it outside of his listed home town. *Cough*Parkway/Hudson*Cough*

Old 11-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Exactly! Screw Parkway/Hudson ford.... even though that IS where I got the truck.

No, I havent had the dealer look at it... I figure they'll give some run-around that they cannot duplicate the problem therefore it cant be fixed. Or they'll try to reflash my PCM and then I'll have to have my XCAL re-tuned for my truck..

With my mods and the jerks at my dealer, its just not worth the hassle.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:20 PM
I had it happen the first week I had my truck.

I just bought a pre-owned 2005 F-150 King Ranch with 5300 miles on it about two weeks ago. It had been sitting on the lot for about 3 weeks before I bought it. I had the same problem that you described for about the first 3 or 4 days that I had my truck. I would go to start it and it would almost start and die. I thought that this was happening either because the vehicle had not been started for a while or because I wasn't turning the ignition far enough. Since about the 4th time this happened, I started making a conscious effort to make sure I turn the ignition all the way forward and hold it there until the vehicle starts. Since implementing this method of starting, I have not seen the problem re-occur.

<edited for formatting -- again>

Last edited by BlkCowboy; 11-22-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think there's a calibration update for a concern like this. Or you may have liquid fuel migration through the vapor management valve. It sorta temporarily floods the engine and causes stalling and/or hard starts. Probably worth a trip to your friendly neighborhood dealer.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Quintin
I think there's a calibration update for a concern like this. Or you may have liquid fuel migration through the vapor management valve. It sorta temporarily floods the engine and causes stalling and/or hard starts. Probably worth a trip to your friendly neighborhood dealer.
So they may update the PCM to try to correct this? Or is there another kind of calibration update?

Last edited by tardman91; 11-22-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tardman91
So they may update the PCM to try to correct this? Or is there another kind of calibration update?
Maybe. At least that's where I'd start...these new drive-by-wire engines are very calibration dependent.

ETA - BlkCowboy...the 22s look sick, but it's kinda annoying have to scroll alllllll the way over to the right to view the whole thread 'cause of the monster pictures you got going on (and I'm at 1024x768) in a thread that doesn't really pertain to 'em...not being rude or smartassed or anything, just saying man.

Last edited by Quintin; 11-22-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:54 PM

ETA - BlkCowboy...the 22s look sick, but it's kinda annoying have to scroll alllllll the way over to the right to view the whole thread 'cause of the monster pictures you got going on (and I'm at 1024x768) in a thread that doesn't really pertain to 'em...not being rude or smartassed or anything, just saying man.
I concur.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by tardman91
I concur.

I just emailed him on the formatting issue... thanks guys.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too have that problem I have no idea what the hell it is! It is driving me crazy, def. not something you expect from a brand new truck. I think I am gonna stop by the dealer

Old 11-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Re: It's Annoying to have to scroll all the way to the right.

Maybe. At least that's where I'd start...these new drive-by-wire engines are very calibration dependent.

Sorry Guys. I have a 20" monitor on my apple computer and on my screen there is no scrolling required to view the posting. I didn't realize this was not the case on other screens. I didn't mean to annoy anyone.

Quick Reply: I have a little problem...