2004 - 2008 F-150

Installing E-Fan's

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing E-Fan's

Ok, where do you take the fan off at, there are 4 bolts on each side between the fan and whatever the fan is attached to (water pump?), what side do I unbolt? Does anyone have any pics they can share to better understand how to remove the fan, I've removed everything else and it's going pretty smoothly, I might as well install my pulley's at the same time but I'm thinking of reselling them for $150 or so, they are brand spankin new if anyone is interested, your choice of shipping. I will take pics for people who need help once I've installed it successfully, I totally believe in giving back for those who've helped you.

Old 11-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The stock fan clutch is threaded onto the water pump snout. There's a few different ways to remove it. The official way is to use a special spanner wrench that'll hold the water pump pulley by it's bolts, while you use another spanner wrench that fits the nut on the fan clutch to loosen it while holding the water pump pulley with the other wrench. The un-official way that you didn't hear from me is to use a big rolling head prybar as like a big punch. Leave the serpentine belt on, take the prybar and aim for the corners of the fan clutch nut. Whack it a few times with a hammer and it'll break loose, this method takes a little finesse, and if you really screw it up, you may damage the water pump.

Old 11-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin
The stock fan clutch is threaded onto the water pump snout. There's a few different ways to remove it. The official way is to use a special spanner wrench that'll hold the water pump pulley by it's bolts, while you use another spanner wrench that fits the nut on the fan clutch to loosen it while holding the water pump pulley with the other wrench. The un-official way that you didn't hear from me is to use a big rolling head prybar as like a big punch. Leave the serpentine belt on, take the prybar and aim for the corners of the fan clutch nut. Whack it a few times with a hammer and it'll break loose, this method takes a little finesse, and if you really screw it up, you may damage the water pump.
Quintin, my brother (also a ford mechanic) showed me a neat trick. Use an air hammer with a chisel end. Using your location and a quick pull of trigger gets it. It's easier to "aim" than a pry bar and hammer.

Just a FYI

Old 11-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Never thought about using an air hammer. I saw that they make fan clutch wrenches that actually fit on the end of an air hammer. Might have to give that a shot next time around. Thanks.

Old 11-24-2005, 02:56 PM

From what I understand, the fan and water pump are threaded into one another, in other words you have to hold one and spin the other the opposite way and spin'em off eachother, this right? Can I get a visual description of the tool used to take them off, or maybe take a pic of what you mean quintin, I'd appreciate it.

Old 11-24-2005, 03:14 PM
Here is a pic of it removed for an idea of what's going on here. That little stub between the 4 bolts on the water pump pulley is a threaded shaft that the fan comes off of. The tools look like 2 big open-end wrenches basically. One is big enough that it slides down over those bolt heads to counterhold them and the other fits the nut on the fan. What I did was very simple and worked quite well. I didn't have a set of these wrenches at the house so I got a big adjustable wrench that would fit the fan nut, and a thick flat bladed screwdriver. Just stick the screwdriver alongside of the nuts and wedge it in there and hold the pulley with that (and also with the engine belt on for extra hold) and I was able to pop the nut loose with the wrench. Maybe mine wasn't that tight, or maybe that's how easy they come off but it worked very nicely!

Old 11-24-2005, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the pic, I'm still a bit confused, is your entire fan shroud removed? I was thinking of doing that but I removed the radiator hoses and radiator coolant was spilling everywhere, didn't want to deal with that so I put it back on. I have much less room down there, especially because between the fan and the pulley's, there is only about a 5" gap. Also, what is the idea of removing the battery and it's tray, will I need access over there further down with the installation.

Old 11-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
Also, what is the idea of removing the battery and it's tray, will I need access over there further down with the installation.
Hmm, I'm not totally sure but I guess it is for mounting of the fan controller and wires later in installation. And yes, shroud is off in that pic. You don't need to remove the hoses (at least I didn't.) When removing the fan, you can't get the shroud off till the fan is out. You have to work around the shroud and get the fan loose, then when the fan is off, let it sit down in the shroud area, and to get them out, you have to lift the shroud up a little and at the same time lift the fan and get both up high enough that you can pull the fan out from inside the shroud and THEN you can work the shroud out by itself......whew! It is a PITA, that's for sure but you will get it!!

Old 11-24-2005, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Matt 05'FX4
Hmm, I'm not totally sure but I guess it is for mounting of the fan controller and wires later in installation. And yes, shroud is off in that pic. You don't need to remove the hoses (at least I didn't.) When removing the fan, you can't get the shroud off till the fan is out. You have to work around the shroud and get the fan loose, then when the fan is off, let it sit down in the shroud area, and to get them out, you have to lift the shroud up a little and at the same time lift the fan and get both up high enough that you can pull the fan out from inside the shroud and THEN you can work the shroud out by itself......whew! It is a PITA, that's for sure but you will get it!!
Sounds good, I'll try this in the morning tomorrow, can't wait and I'll take a video and/or pics for sure.

Old 11-24-2005, 04:42 PM
I love mine.

Old 11-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Removing the fan is actually easier than it sounds.

If you have an AutoZone or other car parts place, they should loan you a "Fan clutch remover"... you have to give them money, but they give you the money back after the tools are returned.

I'll try to explain it also.

Fan clutch tools look like this:

The long handle wrench fits onto that big nut holding the fan shaft on. The other wide mouth thing slides over the 4 bolts sticking out of the pully.

Pretend the 4 bolts are one big bolt... the wide mouth wrench is used to hold that pully sin place while you loosed the snout nut with the other wrench.

Here is a pic of the wide mouth wrench... wrench looks different, but its used the same way.

Any more questions, feel more than free to email me at
keith.hendrix@murraystate.edu.. I might could explain it better on the phone.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Very good use of a varity of media to explain your point. Thanks for the time and effort. Well worth it.

Old 11-25-2005, 01:33 AM

Great explanation, I appreciate the feedback and explanation. I'll take this into great consideration and it actually got pushed back to Sunday, I'll let you know what happens via pics/videos.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:52 PM
so the increase in power comes from the belt not having to turn the fan blades, but the water pump pulley obviously still spins? ? ? ? ? and once you undo the big bolt, the fan just slides out or is it threaded too?? man you guys are good...

Old 11-30-2005, 10:21 PM
yes the big bolt will remove the fan. I didn't have the special tool. I wrestled with it for a while befor I brock it loose. I can't remember what finnaly worked but a few things I tried was useing a small pry bar between two of the blot heads on the water pump to stop it from turning. or puting a breaker bar with a socket on it on one of the water pump bolts and put it on so when you turn the center bolt it turns the breaker bar against the center bolt. you can keep the pully from turning by braceing it against the center bolt while useing another wrench to turn the center bolt. I do believe the second methose is the one that worked for me. I hope I didn't confuse you with my description. it is hard to describe. and I don't have the fancy graphics skills as khendrix2374 has. it can be done with out the special tool. but it is on real tight and you will have to wrestle with it for a while.

Quick Reply: Installing E-Fan's