2004 - 2008 F-150

Stock tires suck in snow!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
I didn't think they were that bad in the snow when they were new. but now I'm at only 16k miles and they are worn down bad, and last week we had some snow and I spinned some in 2wd. I'm going to the dealer in a few weeks to see if I can get new tires for free under the extended tire warranty.
Be sure to take the letter your received from Ford. by dealer gave me a hard time. I pulled out the letter, and they made a copy. I called in a few days later (my vehicle is getting a few thing repaired under warranty), and I was told that they ordered 4 new tires. I don't know what the replacement tires are yet (didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth), but I would be shocked if they put Generals back on. My tires exhibited all the elements listed as the purpose of the tire warranty extension - uneven wear, excessive wear, and harshness.

I currently live in Miami, but make frequent trips to North Carolina. Those Generals on ice are scary. But those Generals in Miami can be quite a scare, too, as they lack sufficient traction to stop the truck (trust me, I know). Take your truck in.

Old 11-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, it's about snow time here Omaha. Got Generals. We'll see how they do. BF Gs or the new Wranglers would be nice new shoes for the FX4 (since I'm not replacing the rims... )

Old 11-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by minus_13
Be sure to take the letter your received from Ford. by dealer gave me a hard time. I pulled out the letter, and they made a copy.
here's the deal though, I can't find my letter, I think I threw it away along with that piece you're supposed to stick in your owner's manual. Maybe I can call up Ford customer service and have them send me out a new letter?

Old 11-30-2005, 04:28 PM
had about 2 inches of snow Thanksgiving, that was my first time in snow with my truck. I thought the truck handled very well, dont get me wrong, I didnt get the feeling that I was ridding on rails, but all in all I was impressed. I have the BFG long trails, and I could actualy feel them "dig" a little bit. They will do fine this year, but Ill replace them for next.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by jrbhc8
I can't believe all you guys with the stock bfg's are complaing. I'm going to guess their alot better than my stock hankooks.

jrbhc8
I've got the Hankooks on my XLT and have had ZERO problems in the snow period. In 4HI I've gone through snow higher then the front bumper. I even stopped and got moving again with no issues. It comes down to the driver, a quick shift into 2 or even 1 will get you moving much faster then keeping it in D. If you have a floor shift it's even easier to do.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:25 PM
The stock hangooks suck, anyone who has actually seen the and felt the sidewalls knows exactly what I am talking about. The sidewalls are paper thin, and unfit for any fullsize truck. Our heavy trucks well overpower these puny tires, and this small of a tire is a first on any full size pick up. 235Width?! Maybe some guys are ok riding on that small of a tire, but I for one would rather have safety and common sense over saving a buck. But hey, thats just me.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
here's the deal though, I can't find my letter, I think I threw it away along with that piece you're supposed to stick in your owner's manual. Maybe I can call up Ford customer service and have them send me out a new letter?
I lost mine too...let me know what you find out. I still have my stock tires in the garage, and they were wearing a little unevenly when I took them off.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
I lost mine too...let me know what you find out. I still have my stock tires in the garage, and they were wearing a little unevenly when I took them off.
I called customer service and they said I didn't need the letter, and that all dealers should know about the extended tire warranty. Or they can easily look it up in the database.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by silverbullet5.4
The stock hangooks suck, anyone who has actually seen the and felt the sidewalls knows exactly what I am talking about. The sidewalls are paper thin, and unfit for any fullsize truck. Our heavy trucks well overpower these puny tires, and this small of a tire is a first on any full size pick up. 235Width?! Maybe some guys are ok riding on that small of a tire, but I for one would rather have safety and common sense over saving a buck. But hey, thats just me.
That's your opinion, I guess I judge a tire's performance differently. If you want to see a thin wall tire check out the 20 inchers Dodge uses on the Ram. You'll appreciate the fact Ford chose Hankook and BFG.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:44 AM
When the BFG rugged trails that came on my 2005 FX4 were new, they seemed like good tires,looked nice and carried a reputable name; but after a couple of thousand miles they were not that great and with snowfall in Baltimore I did not feel comfortable with their performance after a couple of slides here and there at below average speeds. with 11000 miles they seemed halfway worn out. Reading review on tirerack.com it seems it averaged 2.5 out of a possible 5 with others feeling the same way. Ford definitely made a deal on these tires to put them on their trucks, and from what I have read they are a new size with limited availability by manufacturers.I changed them for a mud terrain type tire and had them siped. I definitely paid more for the new tires but feel more confident in their ability in ALL types of terrain and not just on a hot dry day with no dirt on the pavement driving 45. Some will swear by them and others hate them. I say doesn't matter what you have; If you don't feel confident in the tires ability to take you and your family safely to where you need to go, they need replacing.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:17 AM
I see no one talking about goodyear ats

Old 12-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by asinatra
I see no one talking about goodyear ats
They suck too! I just passed 10,000 miles on my way to work, they will be worn out soon enough. Then I can get some BFG AT's.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:16 AM
i hate the stock bfg's as well they sucked hard last year in deep snow and ice the don't clean themselves at all. so i ordered a set of 285 65 18 BFG AT KO this year. they were back ordered so i won't see then untill mid dec.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by gillster
Thanks guys.
Yep got the LS. Actually I may have a problem with my 4X4 system disengaging sometimes. I'll turn a corner in 4X4 and all of a sudden the rear end comes way out. Then a clunk, and then the front end pushes, shutters like hell and then finally hooks up. I don't get it. Maybee back to the dealer soon!
In any event new tires are on the list!!!
Are you on pavement? Can't have 4X4 engaged on pavement. It will bind when cornering and could cause damage. Slick conditions warrant four wheelin.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
That's your opinion, I guess I judge a tire's performance differently. If you want to see a thin wall tire check out the 20 inchers Dodge uses on the Ram. You'll appreciate the fact Ford chose Hankook and BFG.
Ive seen the Wrangler HP on the Rams 20in wheels up close, inside and out, and can testify that they are superior to the hangooks in every way. Hell, atleast Dodge installed a fitting tire size, 275 width, which is more suited for a truck with the weight. Ford installs no name brands, I guess you'll defend Continental and General as well, just becuase Ford uses them. Even the Ford dealerships said that the 'gooks were a very small tire and was not sure why Ford used them over a better brand tire. Either way, they are no more on my truck, I just dont feel safe with an passenger car tire on my full size truck. But hey, Im sure Ford knows best right.

Quick Reply: Stock tires suck in snow!