snow+truck=loose

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grubrunner
400LB?!?!

Are you serious?!?!

Talk about the epitome of everkill!

I use to use three 40LB bags of gravel on my 2000 Lariat Scab 2WD [across the dead-center over the whell arches, NOT across the back of the bed which makes NO sense whatsoever] when it snowed and never had a problem with sliping or sliding. Before I had them, I was "drifting" like a ricer on a back road.

IMHO, 400LB is overkill .. .. .. not to mention your MPG will increase noticably. Silly actually as our trucks weigh a sheet load as it is .. .. ..

Your call, but safe driving.
400 lbs is not overkill. It's better to be able to have traction than put it in the ditch. As for the inertia, that's not really a problem with a 5700 lb truck (difference of about 6% total weight). 3X40lb = a really small wife as a passenger. The track width of your tire is the problem here, period. Anything that is a foot wide has much less weight per sq. inch, so it's like have snowshoes on your truck. They are great for off-roading, but as others have said, packed snow is much different. Lower pressures will also help, but you are always going to have this problem with the large width.

Old 12-01-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
Unfortunately, the wider the tire tread in snow, and mud, the worse the traction. The skinnier the tire, the better the traction because you don't get the floating effect you do with a wider tread..Skinnies don't look very good but they sure bite.. I had an old "high boy" F-100 4x4, at least thats what they were refered to in the early 70's when I lived in Oregon and I learned very quickly about the skinny tires in mud and snow. After a few times getting hung up on some isolated logging road, I went out and bought a set of them and never got in trouble again while out playing...
Beat me to it.

Old 12-01-2005, 06:39 PM
I edited my post... I meant to say closer to the cab, not closer to the tailgate...

But, thinking about it now.. close to the tailgate would put more angular weight on the rear axel though...

Whatever.. Just be safe.

Old 12-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
Unfortunately, the wider the tire tread in snow, and mud, the worse the traction. The skinnier the tire, the better the traction because you don't get the floating effect you do with a wider tread..Skinnies don't look very good but they sure bite.. I had an old "high boy" F-100 4x4, at least thats what they were refered to in the early 70's when I lived in Oregon and I learned very quickly about the skinny tires in mud and snow. After a few times getting hung up on some isolated logging road, I went out and bought a set of them and never got in trouble again while out playing...
ok, so for conversation's sake, why are 'mt' tires so wide, if physically a skinnier tire is better ? is it just marketing looks?

so- kspencer, what would you say a good width & safe load rating is- my stock rugged trail's were just over 10" track width, but i have a feeling those treads would clog instantly, and become slicks... i can go drop my psi down in a bit- running at 50lbs now...will set it down to 40

Old 12-01-2005, 06:44 PM
I saw a new product to add weight to your truck. You fill it up w/water and let it freeze. It adds up to 400 pounds I thinkit was? I usually use salt bags. That way if they break up, its easy to clean up.

Old 12-01-2005, 06:45 PM
yea thats the thing kd4crs mentioned... shurtrax

Old 12-01-2005, 06:45 PM

I wouldnt say 400 is too much.. Its what this company says is "Safe" to use.

This is the ShurTrax system.

Old 12-01-2005, 06:52 PM
lol if it wouldnt be safe to hold 400 lbs in our beds, we'd all be driving cars.

yea, thanks for posting that khendrix...pretty sophisticated tie downs there...im not sure id be willing to use bungees just latched to the exposed paint eeek!

Old 12-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I dont think I'd use bungee straps either. lol Bad pic.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:12 PM
The more weight the merrier for me . You can never have too much weight

I like the idea of that bag, pretty good invention.

BalogUK,
I would say the wider the mud tire the better, it keeps you more on top of the terrain. With the snow the narrower the tread the better, it makes its way through the snow and ice better.

Later
M V

Old 12-01-2005, 07:32 PM
I would buy a studded snow tire like the wintercat sst or Cooper discoverer M+ S, LT 275/70R17 is as big as they make it..I have found with LS you have to be carefull with the throttle on turns and such if you get that second tire start spinning is when you can get in trouble..

Old 12-01-2005, 07:37 PM
yea griz- this was the topic of an earlier thread- finding snow tires for the 18" rims- not an easy task... my mom just had some mastercraft a/ts put on her 05 250sd with 18's mastercraft is a sister of cooper- anyone know about their reliability? ugh, i dont want to dish out another wad for tires. rubber's expensive!

Old 12-01-2005, 08:16 PM
I live in MN and we've had quite a bit of snow lately. In 4WD it's under complete control on the roads. When I get on the highway if it's not a blizzard or the roads are semi-clear then I put it in 2WD. With 2WD I'm more carefull on turning and hitting the gas. I spin the tires from a stop in 2WD sometimes. I'm just very careful and ease into the gas. So far no problems really.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BalogUK
lol if it wouldnt be safe to hold 400 lbs in our beds, we'd all be driving cars.

yea, thanks for posting that khendrix...pretty sophisticated tie downs there...im not sure id be willing to use bungees just latched to the exposed paint eeek!

Hell I weigh in around 260....just toss me in the bed for traction.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by 04 RED LARIAT
Hell I weigh in around 260....just toss me in the bed for traction.
Haha, or he could get a fat girlfriend to tighten up that loose truck!

Quick Reply: snow+truck=loose