2004 - 2008 F-150

snow+truck=loose

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dragonsm
Another Minnesota boy chiming in with his two cents on snow travel. I have 4 tubes of 60 lb sand in my truck. I have them stacked right next to both the wheel wells right on top of the axle. When I bought my last set of tires for my truck, Goodyear tossed in a tire sipe for each one at no additional cost. First set of tires I have ever had that were siped and I definitely notice that it helps with the traction on snow and ice. I have literally driven my truck on glare ice (we have been lacking some snow the past few winters...so the lakes get like glass in the winter......) and I have had no problems grabbing the "polished surface" when I head out across the lake to find that magical spot where I will drill my holes and catch my fish.

Biggest thing is to train yourself not to "stomp on it".....finess it a bit more in the winter.

BTW...Duke, I'd love to live in Northern MN also....but trying to make a living up there is definitely tough if you belong to corporate america.
Hey dragonsm,

Yeah I live in Minneapolis and try to sneak up north every now and then at my girlfriends families cabin. I agree with you that it's impossible to make a living up there in any form of a corporate type job. You'd have to run your own business and be able to get by without making much, unless you had a really good business going on. I doubt I could talk Deloitte into letting me work remotely from up there.

We've been lacking snow the past two years, but I think we're starting to make up for it. I don't remember this much snow this early in November and December last year. You've got some guts with that ice fishing, I never could talk myself into that.

Duke

Old 12-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by 300wby
LOL, I'm glad someone here knows what a 300wby is! Yeah so far so good and I still have a cow Elk tag good through 1/31/06. So I'm confident of a freezer full of meet for '06.
Well, best of luck to ya. I have already filled my deer tag this year. Hunted for 2 hours just north of Craig and harvested a deer that just about licked my face. Talk about overpopulation.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:17 AM
well, its done, 4 bags of 80# sand mix (as the tube sand was sold out) and thats what i needed to cross the axle- night and day difference. until i have problems getting stuck, and falling off the road-and feel uncomfortable driving the truck-- the toyos are remaining- they really arent that bad at all now that the weight is on they dig in great, no effort to pull through the 8" deep 15 degree peanutbutter snow/slush--even in 2whl. yes they still suck on ice, but i can deal with it, im not that much of a maniac!
thanks for all the helpful advice guys, appreciate it.
Justin

Last edited by BalogUK; 12-02-2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Glad to here it.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:41 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by BalogUK
well, its done, 4 bags of 80# sand mix (as the tube sand was sold out) and thats what i needed to cross the axle- night and day difference. until i have problems getting stuck, and falling off the road-and feel uncomfortable driving the truck-- the toyos are remaining- they really arent that bad at all now that the weight is on they dig in great, no effort to pull through the 8" deep 15 degree peanutbutter snow/slush--even in 2whl. yes they still suck on ice, but i can deal with it, im not that much of a maniac!
thanks for all the helpful advice guys, appreciate it.
Justin

Don't forget you can lock the trans into 2nd gear for takeoffs by just moving your selector. Makes it real hard to spin the wheels and break loose.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Balog

Dont you love all this snow, I have the stock tires on my truck, and if its packed snow on the roads, I slide quite a bit to. Not so much in 4 wheel drive. I should put some sand bags in mine as well. I just wish this snow would quit. Its too early for this...lol.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:56 PM
We just got a ton of snow yesterday, something like 4-6" an hour. I didnt have any wieght in the back so I filled my bed with snow.

M V

Old 12-10-2005, 08:52 PM
ok, so ive been having fun with the snow and all- 2nd gear blows. i could get the truck moving faster if i got out and pushed it with one leg and my crutches. i seriously couldnt get the truck off the line.... oh, got a new battery too, my 650 heavy duty ford motorcraft battery what an effing joke of a battery. couldnt take the chill -even with the block heater plugged in... -28F took about 25 secs to turn over, the next day it was -18F it took nearly a minute to turn over- so ive got a 1000 CCA battery in there now -20F NO block heater, immediate turn over.

Quick Reply: snow+truck=loose