2004 - 2008 F-150

Satellite Radio Brain Box Mounting Location

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005 | 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Hmm...

I guess what I'm asking is if there's another wire that is separate coming out of the Eclipse unit that would have to be grounded? Or, is it simply a grounding wire that comes out of the harness (male) that doesn't have a 'match' on the female end? Thus, it's not grounded. So, basically, a little 'jumper' over to the ground on the stock radio harness or a jumper over to the power point on the dash ground?
OK your talking about for the DVD player function to work...the wire that would have been grounded to the parking brake. Yes that will be a 3rd wire that needs to be grounded...just wire it into your ground along with the HU and Sirius unit and your good to go!

Any problems with the Sirius going on and off with the truck? I don't think it'd need a always hot source would it? Seems like that'd drain the battery... quickly.
Yes, you will have to have an always hot source to keep the memory for the unit in place (again assuming its like the Pioneer unit)...all the presets and such are stored in the brain box not the HU. But this isnt a problem because the unit will not be "on" unless the HU is on. Think of it as an amp...you have a always hot power wire and a remote turn on wire coming from the HU...same thing with this except the remote turn on wire is part of the IP Bus cable (or what ever connects the brain box to the HU).

Old 12-06-2005 | 11:18 PM

My current setup features the XM antenna located up on the dash. In my area, I run into an occasional area where I can't pick up a signal (mainly in wooded areas -- which are plentiful out around my house in the county). That's always frustrated me... You'll be tooling down the road and static... typically right when your favorite tune is playing.
Thanks guys. I sincerely appreciate your help.

-RP-

I put my xm antenna under the wiper cowl.

Old 12-06-2005 | 11:23 PM
|
Moderator &
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
OK your talking about for the DVD player function to work...the wire that would have been grounded to the parking brake. Yes that will be a 3rd wire that needs to be grounded...just wire it into your ground along with the HU and Sirius unit and your good to go!
So, grounded is grounded. Period. No matter where?

Originally Posted by RamSS/T
Yes, you will have to have an always hot source to keep the memory for the unit in place (again assuming its like the Pioneer unit)...all the presets and such are stored in the brain box not the HU. But this isnt a problem because the unit will not be "on" unless the HU is on. Think of it as an amp...you have a always hot power wire and a remote turn on wire coming from the HU...same thing with this except the remote turn on wire is part of the IP Bus cable (or what ever connects the brain box to the HU).
Okay... hot all the time. With that being said, where do I snare power for the Sirius box? Off of the harness going into the HU? That isn't always hot is it?

Old 12-06-2005 | 11:25 PM
|
Moderator &
Originally Posted by countyboy04
I put my xm antenna under the wiper cowl.
Any problems with that mounting location? Any at all...

Old 12-06-2005 | 11:40 PM
So, grounded is grounded. Period. No matter where?

Grounded is grounded..as long as its a good ground (and the harness is) it doesnt matter where.

Okay... hot all the time. With that being said, where do I snare power for the Sirius box? Off of the harness going into the HU? That isn't always hot is it?
You have two power wires on the harness...one that is always hot and one that turns on and off with the ignition. The color code should in your diagram that comes with the harness. The always hot wire is required for the HU memory aswell. Your factory HU is the same way...thats why you can eject CDs with the ignition off. Just hook the power for the Sirius unit in with the 12V always hot wire for your HU.

Old 12-06-2005 | 11:50 PM
|
Moderator &
Thanks a bajillion Ram. That makes sense now...

See? I told you I was 'electrically challenged'. HA!

Toss some swirled up paint at me and I'm fine... anything to do with a current or draw; I'm a first grader.

RP

Old 12-06-2005 | 11:53 PM
Any problems with that mounting location? Any at all...

Only problems that I have experienced is with parking garages (naturally) and some drive thrus will mess with the reception. Other than that I am very well pleased with this location. It is very easy to install the antenna under the cowl.

Old 12-07-2005 | 01:00 AM
RP -

You're getting Sirius and XM? Why the Sirius add?

Best of luck with everything.

Old 12-07-2005 | 07:55 AM
|
Moderator &
Originally Posted by DAThomas9
RP -

You're getting Sirius and XM? Why the Sirius add?

Best of luck with everything.

Dropping XM.

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio Brain Box Mounting Location