2004 - 2008 F-150

Satellite Radio Brain Box Mounting Location

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005 | 11:51 PM
|
Moderator &
Satellite Radio Brain Box Mounting Location

Hey guys...

For those of you who have added head units and sat radio, where did you mount your brain box? Where can one pull power for the unit?

Also, wire routing for the antenna... is this a feasible location to get the antenna source to in an easy fashion?

I'd like to go under the passenger seat with it but, I'm wondering if that's the best option.

Any and all insight is GREATLY appreciated.

-RP-

Old 12-05-2005 | 11:55 PM
Mount it like the stock system, just below the head unit itself.

Old 12-06-2005 | 12:09 AM
|
Moderator &
So... you'd suggest behind the dash below the HU? (like behind the EATC?)

I know there's a cavern back there but, is that area adequate?

Also, what should I tap for power for the brain box back there?

-RP-

Old 12-06-2005 | 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
So... you'd suggest behind the dash below the HU? (like behind the EATC?)

I know there's a cavern back there but, is that area adequate?

Also, what should I tap for power for the brain box back there?

-RP-

RP I mounted my Pioneer reciever on the back wall of the cab along with my amps, but if your not going to be removing the back of your back seat then under the HU right behind the EATC should be fine. Thats where I have the brain box for my HU mounted....well thats where its at I didnt mount it, its just setting in there.

I mounted my antenna on the roof and ran the wire in through the 3rd brake light. I know there are other locations others have chosen but IMO it is the best looking place for it, and it has to be without question the best place for reception since its the highest point on the truck and always has a clear line of sight to the sky (why do you think factory Sat antennas are mounted on the roof?)

As for tapping a power source...the best thing to do (especialy if you mount it under the HU) is to wire it into the wireing harness adapter your going to use with your new HU...that way its just a plug in install.

Email me if you have any questions about it....

Last edited by RamSS/T; 12-06-2005 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-06-2005 | 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by asinatra
Mount it like the stock system, just below the head unit itself.
That's what I did, worked for me..

Old 12-06-2005 | 07:51 AM
|
Moderator &
Thanks guys. I sincerely appreciate it!

I don't know the size of this brain box as of yet (it'll be in Thursday or Friday) but, I suspect that I won't have any problem mounting it back there. I like the idea on pulling power off of the wiring harness adapter... that way I don't have to splice into any other cables.

Now, routing the antenna(s).... what is the best path back to the 3rd brake light?

Also, one other question... where's the parking brake ground?

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you!

-RP-

Old 12-06-2005 | 08:43 AM
Run the antenna wire through the brake light, works perfect and hole's are already there. I'm assuming that you got a head unit with video? If so you don't need to ground to brake, you can use the same ground that is used for the head unit.

Old 12-06-2005 | 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Tuff4rd
Run the antenna wire through the brake light, works perfect and hole's are already there. I'm assuming that you got a head unit with video? If so you don't need to ground to brake, you can use the same ground that is used for the head unit.

Yeah...just run the antenna wire around the rear windo molding down the passengers side (pull up the plastic entry pad gaurds and run it under the carpet) to the dash, then cross back behind the glove box the the receiver.

Also like Tuff4rd said...just ground it to the same ground as the HU. If you use the parking brake ground you can only watch DVDs with the parking brake on.

Old 12-06-2005 | 10:24 AM
RP...I too, put my brain box in that cavern behind the head unit. Then I ran my ant. wire to the top of the dash and out in front of the rubber tray in the center of the dash and put my ant. right there all the way up against the windshield. It works fine, and doesnt look bad at all. I just dint want to go out the brake light and risk having a leak. I have enough problems with this truck. As far as power, I ran it to my power block under my rear seat. Thats where I get all my power for the head unit and amp. Good luck man.

BREW

Old 12-06-2005 | 10:35 AM
|
Moderator &
Thanks guys.

The problem I may encounter is that I'll have two antennas. One for the NAV and the other for the SIRIUS.

My current setup features the XM antenna located up on the dash. In my area, I run into an occasional area where I can't pick up a signal (mainly in wooded areas -- which are plentiful out around my house in the county). That's always frustrated me... You'll be tooling down the road and static... typically right when your favorite tune is playing.

That being said, I think I'll go 'high' with both antennas and pray for no leak. I will silicone the opening... I just hope that doesn't bite me in the rump.

So, if I ground the HU (it's the Eclipse 5435) to any ground, it'll work? So I could tag off of the power point adapter on the dash if I wanted to? And have DVD video while in motion?

Thanks guys. I sincerely appreciate your help.

-RP-

Old 12-06-2005 | 12:35 PM
And have DVD video while in motion?
-RP-
Obviously you have to be careful about using the DVD while driving. I've heard it can be a pretty expensive ticket in some states if you're caught with the DVD viewable by the driver. On the other hand, it's not like your truck is so low that anyone can see what you're view - but I just wanted to toss out the caution to you all the same.

Good luck with the install.

Dave

Old 12-06-2005 | 01:07 PM

So, if I ground the HU (it's the Eclipse 5435) to any ground, it'll work? So I could tag off of the power point adapter on the dash if I wanted to? And have DVD video while in motion?
Yes, thats right, but if I were you I would just ground it along with the ground for the HU and wire them both into the stock harness.

You harness will kind of look like this (I havent ever wired an Eclipse but I am will to bet its this way...if not its real close)....wire the 12V (always hot) from the HU and the XM rec into the adapter harness and wire the ground from the HU and the XM rec into it too. Then just plug it into the factory plug and your good to go. That way your XM rec is powered and you dont have to splice any wires or wire anything into the fuse box. Its a very clean install.

Old 12-06-2005 | 02:07 PM
|
Moderator &
Ram... thanks bud. I appreciate it.

Let me regurgitate my plan in logical order and give me advice (if you don't mind)... Anyone feel free to chime in...

-Remove existing XM setup and associated PIE unit. Remove factory HU.
-Both GPS and Sirius antennas will be on the roof wired via the 3rd brake light. Route wires from back of cab to floor via B-pillars and run along door threshold cover. Back up beneath the passenger side dash and behind to the HU.
-Wire the XM brain box in the cavern. Not sure how I'll secure it but, secure it somehow so that no rattles occur. Power will be pulled off of the factory to Eclipse harness as will ground. Splices will be in the add-on harness, not the factory harness.
-Install HU. Generally will be plug and play I suppose.
-Ground HU ground wire... not real sure what else to say here. Actually, not real sure what to do here... is there another wire that is 'orphaned' off of the HU that I'll splice into the factory to Eclipse HU harness? A little confused here.
-Button up the loose ends... zip tie... tape splice connections...etc... (rattle minimization steps)
-Pray over the HU... Power up.

By doing it this way I assume that the Sirius reciever will only be powered when the truck is ON or in ACC.

What am I missing? Probably something HUGE right?

-RP-

Old 12-06-2005 | 02:30 PM
-Ground HU ground wire... not real sure what else to say here. Actually, not real sure what to do here... is there another wire that is 'orphaned' off of the HU that I'll splice into the factory to Eclipse HU harness? A little confused here.
You have me a little confused here too...what are you asking? The wiring harness adapter will have a place to hook the ground up to...you wont have to ground it to the chasis anywhere. Ground your Sat reciever to this wire aswell then simply plug it up. Is that what your asking about? It seems like on the older Fords you had a dedicated chassis ground wire that wasnt part of the harness, but on these it is.

By doing it this way I assume that the Sirius reciever will only be powered when the truck is ON or in ACC.
I have never installed an Eclipse unit before, but I have installed 5 Pioneers and they only have 2 wires...one thats always hot and a ground. They are then connected to the HU and the HU turns them on and off. That way its not on if your listening to a CD or whatever. Read the directions that come with your unit but I dont think you will have an ACC wire for the Sat reciever. But since its the HU turning it on and off it will of course it will go on and off with the HU.

If you hook up everything this way it will work just like your factory radio...on and off with the ignition with the delay feature to keep it on until you open the door. Just follow the color code for your harness and you will be good to go...its very simple.

What are you going to do with your old setup and PIE unit? My dad just bought a new Screw and might be interested in it. We have both had XM since it went live back 4 years ago (I believe) and he said going back to FM is like going from cable TV to an antenna again...but he doent want to change out his HU. I just bought my wife a Roady XT for Expy through XM (for $29.99 shipped and activated) that should be here today, he wanted to see how that works but I know he would rather go with a PIE unit and have it hard wired in. Email me if you are going to sell your setup...ramsst1997@hotmail.com .

Old 12-06-2005 | 06:54 PM
|
Moderator &
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
You have me a little confused here too...what are you asking? The wiring harness adapter will have a place to hook the ground up to...you wont have to ground it to the chasis anywhere. Ground your Sat reciever to this wire aswell then simply plug it up. Is that what your asking about? It seems like on the older Fords you had a dedicated chassis ground wire that wasnt part of the harness, but on these it is.
Hmm...

I guess what I'm asking is if there's another wire that is separate coming out of the Eclipse unit that would have to be grounded? Or, is it simply a grounding wire that comes out of the harness (male) that doesn't have a 'match' on the female end? Thus, it's not grounded. So, basically, a little 'jumper' over to the ground on the stock radio harness or a jumper over to the power point on the dash ground?

I'll pull power for the Sirius brain box from the harness that connects my stock Ford harness to the Eclipse unit (ie: not going to clip into the factory cables -- only the supplied adapter harness).

Very confused here myself. Maybe I'll be able to make heads and tails out of it once I have it in hand.

I have never installed an Eclipse unit before, but I have installed 5 Pioneers and they only have 2 wires...one thats always hot and a ground. They are then connected to the HU and the HU turns them on and off. That way its not on if your listening to a CD or whatever. Read the directions that come with your unit but I dont think you will have an ACC wire for the Sat reciever. But since its the HU turning it on and off it will of course it will go on and off with the HU.

If you hook up everything this way it will work just like your factory radio...on and off with the ignition with the delay feature to keep it on until you open the door. Just follow the color code for your harness and you will be good to go...its very simple.
I've actually wired a Pioneer XM box before myself. Like you said, two wires -- a power and a ground. And then the IP Bus cable to the HU... No worries here really.

Any problems with the Sirius going on and off with the truck? I don't think it'd need a always hot source would it? Seems like that'd drain the battery... quickly.

What are you going to do with your old setup and PIE unit?
I'll let you know. I think I've already sold the PIE.

RP

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio Brain Box Mounting Location