2004 - 2008 F-150

Need Advice- Buying New '06 in 2 Days

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice- Buying New '06 in 2 Days

Hey guys-
I am converting over from being a former Dodge *GHASP!* owner to a Ford. I'm looking at the 06 F-150 Lariat 4x4. My neighbor hooked me up with the 'A' plan for the pricing- and it saves me about 2k below all the other 'Keep it Simple' pricing they have going on, plus, the rebates. They are offering 2k rebate, and another $1k for using Ford Credit for the finance. All total, it saves me about 7k below MSRP with all their accessories added on.

Also- a good friend of mine's dad works in the finance dept. He hooked me up with a friend of his in the Fleet dept and said they'll save me some money and take good care of me.

I am trading in my old car- I owe 18k, and trade in value from KBB is about 13k- 16-19k for retail value. OUCH. One sales guy told me they'd give me 12,500 for it- but made it sound to be negotiable. I might put a couple thousand down to help offset that price, but- will roll the rest into the new financing.

That being said, I have a NUMBER of questions here- and hope you guys can help here ASAP. Im planning on going in to buy in 2 days from now.

I am going to get pre-approved before I go in from some other institutions, but I plan to take advantage of their $1k discount for using Ford Credit. Once closed on the deal, I'll pay that off with the other bank loan. I'm not waiting '3 months'. So that'll save me some cash.

With all that being said, I feel like Im already getting a decent price. However, there's still little things that I don't know about. One of the other sales guys was pushing a $700 alarm on me- give me a break. Don't the trucks already come with an installed system that they cannot take out? And, afterall, I can get an alarm for $200 from those stereo shops around town, if I needed one that badly.

There's some extras I want added on- the tailgate extender and the spray in bed liner. Any chance on getting those thrown in for me? Or, should I just come out of pocket later and add them in after I buy? I'd also like the Satellite radio added in. They charge like $190 and that includes 6 months of service. I know I can go get an aftermarket radio with MP3, Satellite, cd changer, etc- but- I fear that I won't be able to use the steering wheel controls (which, I absolutely LOVE). And, I'm ok with the factory changer in there, seeing as tho a new radio will cost more than the $190 satellite add-in.

The truck I want has running boards installed- I dont want them. They're charging like $300 for them- can I have them take those off? They just bolt on, right? If I do, will there be any physical damage that's visible?

Also- in terms of warranty- it comes with 36/36k bumper to bumper. Should I buy the extended warranty? Most likely, I'll be wanting a new truck before 3 years is up, so not sure if this is a good idea. AND- can I add in the extended warranty later (buy it later)?

Any thoughts on all of this? Any advice on anything else that's just bs markup that I can have them take off? For example- when I bought my last car, they had a 'paint protection' crap thing on there. They said I had to pay for it because they already put it on, and couldn't take it off. I found out later this is just another BS thing to rape me with, and I could refuse to pay for that.

I appreciate any/all help you can provide! I look forward to sharing with you guys in the future!

Old 12-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by AZ_Specter
The truck I want has running boards installed- I dont want them. They're charging like $300 for them- can I have them take those off? They just bolt on, right? If I do, will there be any physical damage that's visible?
Yup those babies can come right off. Of all the things you're thinking of negotiating, this one is the easiest. The dealer should have no problem taking 10 minutes to take those off and remove the $300 off the sticker. And running boards use pre-existing holes so you'll never know they were there in the first place.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:11 PM
sweet. Anything else? Or any other advice before I go in? Man, this is going to be one expensive car payment!

Old 12-11-2005, 02:04 PM
You could come buy the car from me and forget about those mark-ups, I need to sell something, LOL. In all seriousness, just be careful...that's all that matters. You know what I would do? If it were me, I'd lease it for 24 mos because after 2 years you're not responsible anymore, you can turn it in and walk away, or get a new vehicle, and the payments are traditionally less on a lease than a comparative buy.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:14 PM
As far as I know....these trucks don't come standard with a factory alarm system....but I definately would not pay $700 dollars for the one they are offering....unless it included a 24hour doberman watchdog and a midget armed with a sawed off shotgun that hid in the bed of the truck while you were away.

Last edited by shookman34; 12-11-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Dont get the Ford spray in bed liner. Its WAY too thin... atleast the ones I seen were.

I'd stay away from that and get a Rhino or Line-X

Old 12-11-2005, 04:53 PM
you stated you will probably want a new truck in less than three years, if this is true i would never buy it,you will lose too much money, lease it. The residuale value on the f150 is high, your lease payment would be much cheaper and you are out of it with out losing any money. If you decide to lease do not get any extras on the truck like extended warranty, paint protection, fabric protector none of them. Also if you lease and you decide on any add ons like alarm or bedliner make sure you pay only a percent of it as you are only paying for part of the truck.

GOOD LUCK

Old 12-11-2005, 05:05 PM
As far as I know, the only people eligible for A or Z plan are relatives of the ford employee. I thought friends could only get X plan?? ?

Old 12-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by wedgewood 4 x 4
you stated you will probably want a new truck in less than three years, if this is true i would never buy it,you will lose too much money, lease it. The residuale value on the f150 is high, your lease payment would be much cheaper and you are out of it with out losing any money. If you decide to lease do not get any extras on the truck like extended warranty, paint protection, fabric protector none of them. Also if you lease and you decide on any add ons like alarm or bedliner make sure you pay only a percent of it as you are only paying for part of the truck.

GOOD LUCK
Yes, I just had a quote on leasing a 4x4 Lariat for $440/month with 0 down. Climate control, sat radio, memory seats, overhead rail system, 6-disc, 5.4, etc.

Lease lease lease lease lease lease

Old 12-11-2005, 06:06 PM
alarm

Originally Posted by shookman34
As far as I know....these trucks don't come standard with a factory alarm system....but I definately would not pay $700 dollars for the one they are offering....unless it included a 24hour doberman watchdog and a midget armed with a sawed off shotgun that hid in the bed of the truck while you were away.
The dealer I got my 06 from puts alarms on everything on their lot new or used. when you buy a vehicle from them its a 240.00 option if you choose to keep it. mine is pretty trick. when the alarm is active the truck won't start.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:44 PM
I'll start off with another vote for leasing. If you want Sirius in your truck, get the Factory installed Sirius equipment for $195. If you wait and have the dealer instal it as an option, you will pay about $375 just for the equipment, not to mention labor. If you go after market, there are ways to keep the steering wheel controls, but it is a lot of work/trouble. The premium stereo on my '06 F150 Lariat sounds great, I wouldn't change a thing. That's my thoughts on the subject. dw

Old 12-11-2005, 08:59 PM
ok- on the leasing. I've heard nightmare stories about it- such as: mileage. If you go over, they RAPE you on price per mile. And I mean RAPE. Also, they kill you on parking lot dings, wear/tear. However, I've heard that if you are rolling over the lease into another vehicle, then, they work with you and go a little easier on you. I could easily put 15-18k miles on it in a year, so it worries me to do the leasing route. BUT- I've heard that if I lease it in my business name, it's a tax write off. Can someone give me the inside scoop? I know I'll be wanting a new truck in 2-3 years, so this might work. It just worries me...
Thanks!

Old 12-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Also- how do I handle the negative equity on my trade in car, if I choose to lease it?

Old 12-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Also- how does it work if I have the 'A' plan? Do I get a good lease rate that way?

Old 12-11-2005, 09:06 PM
LOL- ALSO- when I lease, does it sit on my credit report, or, does it not show at all?
Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Need Advice- Buying New '06 in 2 Days