2004 - 2008 F-150

Fun with Edge

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006 | 09:05 PM
|
Talking Fun with Edge

Haven't run any 0-60 or 1/4 times yet but I did go almost WOT a few times just for fun. (I say almost because I thought I was WOT and hauling a$$ until I found out there was more pedal to go) I don't need to say how fantastically amazing this thing is as everyone has already mentioned it but I will share with you this:

Not 100% what it all means just yet. I'm still having fun just messing with the tuner and software. This was only the tow tune with Edge's settings. The only thing I changed was the tire size (gears were correct).

I remember reading somewhere that the A/F was suppsed to be 12:1. Was that at WOT or normal crusing? This thing shows almost right on 12:1 at normal but jumps up to 28 or so at (almost) WOT. Again, unless I'm reading it wrong. :o

P.S.

Old 01-17-2006 | 09:41 PM
..about time you recieved it!!

Never did thank ya for the work you did, so here it is

Oh, and as for your question, no idea :o

Old 01-17-2006 | 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Tical84
Not 100% what it all means just yet.
You know 0% of what the software is doing, where the hell do you see A/F ratios and also considering most wideband sensors can only read 10:1 to 18:1.

Old 01-17-2006 | 10:06 PM
|
Ease up man,
I didn't say I know 0% I said I don't know 100% yet.
After I posted I found out I was reading the MAF, not neccessarily the A/F ratio. I'm still learning, calm down.

Thanks nvrenuff, glad I could help out.

Old 01-17-2006 | 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by asinatra
You know 0% of what the software is doing, where the hell do you see A/F ratios and also considering most wideband sensors can only read 10:1 to 18:1.
Ease up man,
I didn't say I know 0% I said I don't know 100% yet.
After I posted I found out I was reading the MAF, not neccessarily the A/F ratio. I'm still learning, calm down.

Thanks nvrenuff, glad I could help out.
Don't mind him Tical84. He's having customer service issues with Edge, and he can't comprehend how anyone else could have a product that works.

-Travis

Old 01-18-2006 | 01:58 AM
Hey, I bought my truck too late to get in on the GP, but I still want to thank you anyhow. I feel kinda bad that I got it before you did too. The EDGE rocks, and I might not have found it if the GP wasn't going down. Salud!

Old 01-18-2006 | 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=Tical84][I remember reading somewhere that the A/F was suppsed to be 12:1. Was that at WOT or normal crusing? This thing shows almost right on 12:1 at normal but jumps up to 28 or so at (almost) WOT. Again, unless I'm reading it wrong. :o

QUOTE]

A/F mixture is 'nominally' 12 at idle. When you go to WOT it is whatever the engineer thinks best.
WOT is exempt from the emissions laws, so playing with the WOT sensors dates back to the first electronic carburetors.

We were setting them to 'spoof' the ECM into thinking you were at WOT at a quarter throttle as far back as 1981...
Chris

Old 01-18-2006 | 11:21 AM

A/F mixture is 'nominally' 12 at idle. When you go to WOT it is whatever the engineer thinks best.
I may be wrong but idle a/f should be 14:1 or higher. If it wasnt, you would gag on the fumes (even with cats) It's when you are under load that it needs to be fattened up. Please correct me if i am mistaken..

Chris , What was the pupose of tricking the electronics into WOT mode, to bypass the o2 sensors? Some of the Honda cars have a wideband o2 sensor from the factory. ALL cars ought to come like that with no open loop, unless there is a good reason to go open loop. (i cant think of one).

Old 01-18-2006 | 01:27 PM
|
So when looking at the readouts that the Edge gives does MAF = the A/F ratio or do you use the numbers that it gives you for MAF to determine the ratio with an equation of some kind?

Old 01-18-2006 | 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by BigTRQ
Don't mind him Tical84. He's having customer service issues with Edge, and he can't comprehend how anyone else could have a product that works.

-Travis

as for asinatra............carma...........carma

Just kidding.......I hope your closer to a resolution with Edge.

TCAL......its about damn time you got it!!!!!! have fun

Old 01-18-2006 | 01:35 PM
That is the voltage to the meter. I'm not sure how the new ones work but on the older FI mustangs, the voltage was varied to keep the temp constant in the sensor. The more air going through the meter would cool off the sensor. The pcm would send more voltage to heat it up again. There is a mathematical formula for voltage vs actual air flow (in mass), i think that is what they refer to as the Mass Air transfer function (is not linear). I think that is the high level of how it works, im sure someone can add more or correct me if i misspoke.

The only way to get a true A/F ratio is to use a wideband o2 sensor. Im not sure you can accurately calculate it. the mass of air is calculated by the meter and dependent upon temp, humidity, pressure, etc. The fuel value is also dependent on Fuel pressure, Injector efficiency, etc. It can be close but not enough for practical purposes.

Last edited by gobra; 01-18-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2006 | 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by gobra
I may be wrong but idle a/f should be 14:1 or higher. If it wasnt, you would gag on the fumes (even with cats) It's when you are under load that it needs to be fattened up. Please correct me if i am mistaken..

Chris , What was the pupose of tricking the electronics into WOT mode, to bypass the o2 sensors? Some of the Honda cars have a wideband o2 sensor from the factory. ALL cars ought to come like that with no open loop, unless there is a good reason to go open loop. (i cant think of one).
14 to one is to make the emissions people very happy. If you were setting up a truck in Mexico, Spain, etc. You would set it to about 12.7 to 13.2 or at least that's what the text books say.
We used to be pretty happy anywhere above 11, and even at 11 in SU side drafts.

Do to the idiocy of most emissions legislation, idle was the main place emissions were controlled.
Idle conditions can be easily reproduced and tested with common technology in the 60-70's when the concept began.

Very few places had the ability to dyno or road test until quite recently. So emissions and emission laws were concentrated on certain easy to test aspects, such as idle.

By making the cars less efficient, i.e. stopping vacuum advance, restricting intake temperatures to easy to control amounts, etc. the system would test well.
But to enable the cars to actually run well enough to use, they had to make exceptions.

At WOT the advance curve, fuel mixture, etc. were not 'emission controlled'.

By fooling the system in to thinking you were at WOT the feedback control systems would allow you to run rich and advanced at more useful ranges. You were bypassing the mandated emissions controls.

Nowadays the systems are three-four generations more advanced. They can deal with cold air (earlier systems required three-four different ways to preheat the air, to make control of emissions more consistent and easier)

When designing an engine the number one requirement is emissions. Number two is CAFE.
You can not sell the truck if it doesn't meet Number one.
You will sell few of them if it does not meet Number two.
Performance thus is always 'job number three' on any engine sold in the USA.

Smooth is number four
and longevity is, at best, number five.
So the aftermarket guys, and home mechanics can always beat the system by ignoring number one, possibly number two and number four and concentrating on number three.

Set the engine to think it is at WOT when at one third throttle and you get a richer mix, plus much more advance in the timing. Advance in the timing is 90% of power increase.

The tuners often richen the mix, and advance the timing by reprogramming the PCM. The tuner makers are not affected by number one, number four, at all. Number two and number five only slightly.

All the newer systems use leaner settings, due to much harder (heat resistant) valves, much better exhaust, etc.
But during the first thirty years of smog devices they were nothing better than terrible. Even today setting one of these trucks as 100% off road you can easily get another 100-200 ponies out of them.
You just can’t legally do it and still run it on the street.
Chris

Last edited by ChrisAdams; 01-18-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-18-2006 | 02:38 PM
|
Originally Posted by gobra
That is the voltage to the meter...
There's an option for MAF V and just MAF. I assumed MAF V was Voltage and ignored that one since I don't know what to do with it and monitored the MAF (even though I still don't know what to do with it.)

Really I'm just curious if mine was one that came off the line lean. I haven't monitored anything stock yet so I guess it doesn't really matter. The Edge wasn't to turn my truck into a street racer, just a little added performance. I'm curious of all these things I can monitor and trying to learn.

Old 01-18-2006 | 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by asinatra

Old 01-19-2006 | 05:51 PM
There's an option for MAF V and just MAF. I assumed MAF V was Voltage and ignored that one since I don't know what to do with it and monitored the MAF (even though I still don't know what to do with it.)

Really I'm just curious if mine was one that came off the line lean. I haven't monitored anything stock yet so I guess it doesn't really matter. The Edge wasn't to turn my truck into a street racer, just a little added performance. I'm curious of all these things I can monitor and trying to learn.
Sorry for the delay, On the last page of the Edge owners manual it lists all of the abbreviations. MAF is Mass Air Flow (lbs/hr or lbs/min???) Could be useful to plot the mass airflow vs voltage to plot out the mass airflow transfer function....

Quick Reply: Fun with Edge