2004 - 2008 F-150

Mysterious Breaking Windows Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006 | 10:23 AM
|
Mysterious Breaking Windows Anyone?

Was driving down the road this last weekend and the back window of my truck blows out. I know nothing hit it and I have a canopy on, this last summer the windshield also cracked while I was deiving down the highway. I think the cab in this truck has sone structural shifting going on. Anyone heard of anything like this? I am going down to talk to ford today, I am NOT going to be replacing the rear window on my own dime, the front I will have to eat. Sorry had to rant......

Old 01-23-2006 | 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Mike99a
Was driving down the road this last weekend and the back window of my truck blows out. I know nothing hit it and I have a canopy on, this last summer the windshield also cracked while I was deiving down the highway. I think the cab in this truck has sone structural shifting going on. Anyone heard of anything like this? I am going down to talk to ford today, I am NOT going to be replacing the rear window on my own dime, the front I will have to eat. Sorry had to rant......
Sounds like there is a good deal of flex in the body and its putting stress on the glass.

I wonder if the bed stiffness would have anything to do with it??

Ford should certainly investigate this for you!!!

Old 01-23-2006 | 10:36 AM
My truck when going down the road kind of cracks when I hit certain bumps. Something is def putting stress on the window. Good luck explaining it to FORD.

jrbhc8

Old 01-23-2006 | 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by jrbhc8
My truck when going down the road kind of cracks when I hit certain bumps. Something is def putting stress on the window. Good luck explaining it to FORD.

jrbhc8
Cracks? Like its making a cracking noise or the window is actualy cracking?

Old 01-23-2006 | 11:58 AM
|
Ya this is not going to be easy trying to A-Prove and B-get resolution to. I just dont want to put a new window in and have it break again, which I am sure it will. I post what they say.

Old 01-23-2006 | 01:33 PM
|
Just came back from talking to the dealership and guess what? there is nothing they can do. I am not impressed.

Old 01-23-2006 | 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Mike99a
Just came back from talking to the dealership and guess what? there is nothing they can do. I am not impressed.
If that happened to me and there was nothing that could be done, I think that I would probably have to fix it, then sell it and buy another brand. I am just not sure if I could stick with something even though it is a freak thing. I just think that if there is some fault with the vehicle then they should fix it.

Of course, how many million F-150s drive down the road every day and have never had that happen? I am sure that it is hard to prove that it is the fault of the vehicle. I would just be unsatisfied knowing that they did not even try to help you out.

How much is a new rear window by the way?

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. Good luck getting some satisfaction somewhere.

Old 01-23-2006 | 03:39 PM
I had a similar thing happen to me in my '02 F250 SuperDuty Crew Cab diesel. I was traveling cross-country, somewhere in the depths of Wyoming when all of a sudden I heard a loud 'bang'. I almost crapped my pants cause I thought someone was shooting at me. I looked back and the passenger side of my sliding rear window was shattered! I chalked it up to a freak rock that must have bounced off the front of the 5th wheel RV I was towing. It never happened again.
When you get the rear glass replaced have the installer take a close look at the mounting surfaces and see if there are any irregularities.

Old 01-23-2006 | 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by lrhogfan
If that happened to me and there was nothing that could be done, I think that I would probably have to fix it, then sell it and buy another brand. I am just not sure if I could stick with something even though it is a freak thing. I just think that if there is some fault with the vehicle then they should fix it.

Of course, how many million F-150s drive down the road every day and have never had that happen? I am sure that it is hard to prove that it is the fault of the vehicle. I would just be unsatisfied knowing that they did not even try to help you out.

How much is a new rear window by the way?

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. Good luck getting some satisfaction somewhere.
Last year I busted my rear driver's side glass .not the power one but the wing dealer told me it comes in one pice windows dealer wanted $1,500.00 got the wing pice from the junk yard for 50.00 buck's install was cake

Old 01-23-2006 | 03:46 PM
I was driving down the road two days ago and another ford passed by with a crack in the window. A real crack. This woman was in the passenger seat mooning me. She had a nice **** though.

Old 01-23-2006 | 03:49 PM
|
Thanks for the words guys. I love fords and always have so I am not sure if I would switch brands, just dealerships. If there is a one in a billion chance of something happening to a vehicle I'm your guy.

Old 01-23-2006 | 05:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I'd suck it up and replace it this time. But if it happens again then I would have Ford look into the problem a little deeper. I would talk to whatever dealership you get your service at and keep all your recipts and stuff. And like was said before, when they replace it have them inspect it carefully.

Old 01-23-2006 | 08:05 PM
Mike, I noticed your in Canada, I was driving my buddies s10 a few years back and it was colder than hell, below 0 for sure. Same thing happened just driving down the road and the rear window just shattered. Had a tough time explaining that it just broke. still to this day I don't know if he believes me.

Old 01-23-2006 | 08:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by nait002
Mike, I noticed your in Canada, I was driving my buddies s10 a few years back and it was colder than hell, below 0 for sure. Same thing happened just driving down the road and the rear window just shattered. Had a tough time explaining that it just broke. still to this day I don't know if he believes me.
That's a good point that no one else mentioned. If it was seriously bitterly cold then the window could have been brittle enough to just break at the slightest bump.

Old 01-23-2006 | 08:11 PM
Suspended
This isn't the same thing but my passenger side window went out on me!

Quick Reply: Mysterious Breaking Windows Anyone?