2004 - 2008 F-150

Well add me to the list for reviews on tuners...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
One wish for this thread -- KEEP IT CIVIL and INFORMATIVE. If the 'my daddy is better than your daddy' poop starts, it'll be useless to anyone that could harvest GOOD information out of such a thread.
Thanks RP, I hope so also.

TO all members,

I will get dyno runs in very soon. I travel overseas frequently for the Govt. so my time is a little tied up, but I will put a lot of effort into this review, along with numbers I hope this March.

hwm3

Your thread was the reason I wanted to add to your review, the more honest and factual info is better. I was gald to see someone take the first step to do so along with the others.

Old 01-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tuff4rd
Ok..OK..but which one looks cooler?

The Edge of course...thats why I have it on my dash!

BTW where do you guys keep your Xcal2...in the console or in the glove box? Sorry I couldn't resist a little poke!

Old 01-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by RamSS/T

BTW where do you guys keep your Xcal2...in the console or in the glove box? Sorry I couldn't resist a little poke!
Ohhhh boy and this is how it all starts. Just a "little poke" then like the Kiss song "All Hell's Breakin' Loose."

Im just farting around becuase when I get back form overseas I will be wanting to purchase on of the above listed and the comparo may assist with the decision making process.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by RamSS/T

I did not buy the XCALII for the coolness factor, but for (in my opinion) the ability to tune my truck for maximum performance.

But then again, I also prefer "stealth" over bling.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Well one thing I think a lot of people get confused on is the Edge can be taken off after the tune is loaded for that "stealth" look. I like tuning for drivability improvements, so that is where my mind set will be during about 90% of the review, and then a little on performance (I mean it is only a tuner, not a forced induction kit or NOS ). I am also going to try after everything is said and done, using the Troyer tune and the Edge for gauges. A pretty cheap way to get 4 gauges all at once on a digital display.

RamSS/T

I keep mine under my back seat in the box. Fits like a glove behind the jack. Just incase I need an emergency service to remove the tune.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by cvc14
I am looking foward to this review. I just recently started looking at tunners so this should help me out a lot.
Same here. That's why I am subscribing to this thread.

Tuff4rd

That's a great pic!

Old 01-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by harborbreeze
But then again, I also prefer "stealth" over bling.

Yeah, me too!

Old 01-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by bbjones56
Just so you guys know, we (Edge) will be putting on an internet broadcast show on Thursday nights from 6pm to 9pm (Mountain standard time). You can call in with questions or concerns with your Edge Evolution and we'll answer them over the air. How you listen is open your Windows Media Player, click on File, then Open URL, and then type in the following URL: http://stream2.edgeradio1.com:8000. We don't have the offical number to call in yet, so listen Thursday and we'll say the phone number to use. Hope that this will help! We'll aso be playing music, which you can go to www.edgeradio1.com and request songs to be played.
- Jay

Sounds like a good time Jay. I am anxious to get my Edge unit in to see how well it works. Thanks for posting the info.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Quote:
"Right now after seeing reviews from others who have both the Troyer XCal2 and the Edge, I am going to have a hard time seeing the Edge out perform the Troyer tune, but I am also going to adjust my Edge to try and "tweak" it before starting my test and give the XCal2 a run for its money. I also want to get 3-4 weeks worth of daily driving with the Edge to have a good comparison since I have had my Troyer for almost two months now".

Bigblackfx4 has the edge and i have the TP.xcal2 and we loaded his tweeked tune into my truck and did a 0-60. Then we loaded my troyer tune and did a 0-60 and the Edge had a better time. Now keep in mind here that we adjusted levels with the edge, and we were not sure if it was safe or not. I haven't data logged mine yet. One thing for sure is that if you own a f-150 you need a Tuner Period. The choice i made was to buy a tuner from someone that new what they are doing. I chose Troyer Performance to make those adjustments for me, because i'm a retard and i don't want to screw up my truck.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:00 PM
OK fellas, the Edge came in today and all seems well so far, updated on my PC first, and installed in about 30 minutes total time. The pod fit ok, and I used a temp mount (velcro) till the review is done. I will be driving it in a few so I will start documenting my feelings over the next few weeks after tweaking.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:16 AM
Well I think it has been enough time for a review on both tuners. I have ran over 2500 miles on the Xcal2 and over 1000 miles on the Edge. Since this seems to be a highly sensitive subject to some please PM or email me if you would like to read an un-biased review on the Edge vs. Troyer from a daily driver perspective. Understand my review was using a Troyer Xcal2 that I did not perform any datalogging on but still a custom tune. So it seems fair since the Edge is labeled a "canned tune" that it be compared to a non-datalogged Xcal2

Old 02-24-2006, 09:42 AM
kmk
People should be comparing the Edge to the 1745 Superchip not a custom tune.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by kmk
People should be comparing the Edge to the 1745 Superchip not a custom tune.
Other people can do what they please. This is what I chose to compare But you do have a valid point. These were just the two units I decided on since I purchased the Xcal2 first and then the Edge caught my eye. I think some get confused by tuners. It is not like mass produced units like the Edge, Hypertech, Superchips, etc are random computer generated tunes and customs tunes are created my humans with more advanced knowledge. Almost every tune for any company are designed by very skilled engineers/techs. It boils down to the human tuner regardless, and what makes the customer satisfied in the end. That is why there are multiple companies tuning, to give choice. I do not look at tunes as custom or canned, they all spawn from a human behind a keyboard and test equipment for the most part. This is my point of view which many will not agree with. Please do not think I am saying you do not already know this, I am just trying to clarify for others that this is how I view the topic.

Last edited by MoJoe; 02-24-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MoJoe... feel free to post your findings here. To date, you seem EXTREMELY objective and will give a very fair opinion. The outfall, if any, following your post will be closely monitored since there are so many 'My daddy is better than your daddy' commentation which detracts from our site.

As everyone knows, we're taking a much stronger stance on the whole programmers issue but still encourage reviews on all products. The thing we want to avoid is 'bashing'... that being a direct slam on an individual. If you don't like a product, that's fine... it's the personal attacks and the little snippets that fuel the ongoing fire that we're going to deal with.

Thanks for understanding and, again, thanks for being very fair with your posts, perspectives, and information.

-RP-

Old 02-24-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
MoJoe... feel free to post your findings here......

Thanks for understanding and, again, thanks for being very fair with your posts, perspectives, and information.

-RP-
Thank you for the support RP, and after I leave work today I will take the better half of my night compiling the information in my note book on each unit.

For those how have already emailed me about the review, it will now be a public post, and feel free to contact me if you have any detailed questions afterwards

I also would like everyone to know, that I am not a skilled tuner, or pretend to know everything about tunes or this vehicle that I have no knowledge of. I just wanted to give members my opinion and input from my personal experiences as a daily driver and what my thoughts are. If my wife allowed, I'd do reviews on a lot of popular mods, but we all know how that goes

Quick Reply: Well add me to the list for reviews on tuners...