2004 - 2008 F-150

Well add me to the list for reviews on tuners...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well here is a short review...

Ok,
This is the short version of my review. Let me start with a quick overview on why I decided to even compare these products. I joined F150online a few months back after purchasing my second FoMoCo vehicle ever. I have always owned GM or Toyota aside from my previous Super Duty. Now, I would like to think I perform extensive research on a product before I consider purchasing it, so please do not think I like rushing into products for the bright shiny wrapper on the outside. After reading many many many threads on Mike Troyer’s Xcal2 and his tuning abilities, the choice was clear to me at the time which tuner I had to purchase. Keep in mind that I have owned/built two forced induction vehicles (both 5.3 Silverado pickups) one turbo and one a Whipple and have owned many other stock tuned vehicles. I have used many tuners from off the shelf names such as (Hypertech, Diablo, Superchips, and Jet chips), to great custom tuners like Lyndon Wester and Allen Nelson for my forced induction applications. My only intention with my new F-150 still to this day was to gain the ability to change my tire size, have a more positive feel while towing and the ability to change the gear ratio when I swap in a new ring and pinion. The performance and driving improvements by both tuners I ran, turned into a bonus!.!.

First my opinion and experience with the Troyer tuned Xcal2 93 octane tune:

I ordered the 87 tow, the 87 performance, and the 93 performance setup. My first impression on Troyer’s staff was a great one. Prompt responses, very organized and polite, and knowledgeable on my questions and concerns. Now, the tuner came in about 20 or so days after the paperwork had been submitted which is around what I expected for a custom tuned program to fit my vehicle to arrive. The SCT unit was easy to install and Troyer provides very detailed instructions and technical sheets on how to properly apply the tune along with information on data logging etc. I quickly loaded the 93 performance tune because lets face it, it is what it is!!! My initial drive after the tune was installed was a pleasant one. I was not going to romp on the throttle for a few drives until the PCM had a chance to learn the tune, but I already noticed an immediate change in throttle response and my newly found smooth running engine. The only problem was the Troyer tuned Xcal2 was purchased at a bad time due to my traveling for work, and not having the ability to datalog. I am sure the tune could have been made to perform even more so to my liking. All and all with the Troyer Performance team I was very satisfied.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Page two

Second my opinion and experience with the Edge Evolution 93 octane tune.

I purchased like everyone else did and our only option was an off the shelf Edge unit which was completely new to the market. Even though I was happy with the Xcal2, I was drawn to the on screen display, and the fit/finish of the unit. With me towing I like having at minimum a transmission fluid temperature gauge and this had that and many more parameters that could be monitored to boot. I figured the worst case scenario was the tune would be mediocre and that I could always use it for monitoring purposes while keeping the Xcal2 unit. The box arrived from a vendor mentioned here many times that had the unit for $345 I believe shipped to my door. I received the unit within 7 business days and right off the bat loaded the latest firmware and updates for the Edge unit from their website. After 5 minutes time I was setting up the pod and installing the Edge in my truck. I removed the Troyer tune a few days before I received the Edge to be ready (man I was missing my tune). After a 10 minute install from start to finish including running the cable and setting the pod up I was now Edge tuned. Again I started off with normal driving for my initial test and a few more after that to follow. Right away I felt the difference from stock to tuned once again, pretty much the same impression was given as the Xcal2 had for the out of the box feel. After a few drives I notice a difference in the transmission, an improved difference. It felt stronger than before at a comparable RPM and MPH range than it had with the Xcal2 in all 4 gears. This was after making a few changes to correct tire size (per GPS) and adjusting the timing, shifting times and shifting pressure slightly. I did not notice the difference until I began to go up inclines and around town driving (please do not forget I did not datalog or have any changes made to my Xcal2 after my purchase, which could have fixed any issues that I was now made aware of). As more time with the Edge went by, and the gauges grew on me quickly, I began to lean towards the Edge for my personal choice as a tuner. I was and still am pleased with my choice as it fits my wants and needs slightly better than the Troyer Xcal2 did. Performance feels the same and I personally could not be happier. Edge service like Troyer’s is great and very responsive. Never have I personally dealt with a “CANNED” tuner that actually works problems out with their customers and seems to care about issue. You normally only find that with custom tuners.

My personal outlook and firm believe on this entire tuning subject goes as follows. If I were tuning a forced induction, or a semi-radical to fully built vehicle that would require a custom tune and one on one dyno testing, etc., I would go with a custom tuner. Since mine is a daily driver and far from modified in my book, the “CANNED” (I do NOT like the term canned ) Edge unit in this case fits my needs by offering everything I was looking for, including vital monitoring capabilities. It just ended up being a thought free decision on my part. Many of you will view this differently, but I am 100% correct in saying these are my true un-biased reviews and experiences in a short review, and I am happy with my choice, which in the end is all that matters to me.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up

Im on the fence like many others. Its all the negative bashing people do that scares me off one way or the other. I am in the same situation as you, i dont need the highest custom tuned tuner for my truck, just something to give it some get up and go and have some nice features such as the Display gauges. Thanks for the write up once again, it was very helpful...i think im set with my decision now...

Edit....you deserve some good Reputation points

Last edited by trytokeepup; 02-24-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:41 PM
thanks for the information mojoe, I ordered the edge right after I read your final findings. I too am a regular everyday driver and the edge seems to fit the bill. so I'm going to give it a try hopefully it will fix the rough idle that ford can't seem to figure out also.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Good job MoJoe. I'm also pretty much a daily driver with far too many hills that the stock tune just didn't do well on. That's pretty much the reason I got a tuner and I was satisfied with it, but always wondered if I was missing something better. Your review, the first good comparison I've seen, helps me not second guess my decision about getting the right tuner for my needs.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks guys, so far so good after my post, I am glad no flaming is going on. I never wanted to start a bashing thread. But please keep in mind that my wants and needs may not fit everyone out there. A well built custom tune is hard to beat, but I just did not need that

Old 02-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Thank you for the in depth review and the time you spent on it. It will definitely help many on the site (me included) to make decisions toward their tuning. I am in a similar boat as you in that I really want the Edge for the gauges as I will be towing my 5k lb. camper with my truck. The additional drivability will be an added bonus.

Thanks again! You definitely deserve a few and

Old 02-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Nicely done....well written and fair approach.

I just ordered the Xcal through the group buy. I'm 20 or so days out. My truck is stock and I ordered it to "awaken" the truck nothing more. I'm sure I'll be happy with it. I've noticed the rabid support from both sides and I'm glad to see you wrote an objective review.

again....Well done...

Old 02-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by MoJoe
My personal outlook and firm believe on this entire tuning subject goes as follows. If I were tuning a forced induction, or a semi-radical to fully built vehicle that would require a custom tune and one on one dyno testing, etc., I would go with a custom tuner. Since mine is a daily driver and far from modified in my book, the “CANNED” (I do NOT like the term canned ) Edge unit in this case fits my needs by offering everything I was looking for, including vital monitoring capabilities. It just ended up being a thought free decision on my part. Many of you will view this differently, but I am 100% correct in saying these are my true un-biased reviews and experiences in a short review, and I am happy with my choice, which in the end is all that matters to me.
I waited for yor evaluation and even subscribed to this tread so I would get to it before it was trashed. I hope this doesn't happen as this is well written and fair. I use my F-150 as a daily driver also and the Edge seemed to fit that type of driver profile well. I have had mine now for over a month and I am also happy. I believe that there are better tunes and the Edge probably won't compare to a professional data logged or dyno checked tune.

Edge has some growing pains there yet but to their credit they are working to correct issues. It is software and if all software was good at initial release there would be lots of people out of work .... including me.

Thanks for your opinion.. I could not make the comparisons you made between the products as I do not have any experience with any sort of tunning. Edge's business plan made the difference for me. The product was easy to install, update and provided function even if I decided to go back to stock PCM load. That is why I bought it.

Thanks again for your time.

PS... I added to your points...

Jack

Old 02-25-2006, 03:40 PM
That is the most down to earth review I have seen yet. Bravo bro...bravo.

Do the world a favor and post it in the chips section as well. Many of us, and I'm sure many new people went there first looking to answer this question. It's such a madhouse in there it is hard to get an answer, or at least it was before Rockpic brought out the bat (bravo RP).

Bill

Old 02-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Well all I have to say is thank you for spending your time and effort on giving a wonderful objective review.

Now it just makes it harder for me to decide if I want to go with the Edge for the gauges and the tune right now or wait and get a custom tune because of the performance mods that I will be doing later this year. hmmm decisions decisions

Old 02-25-2006, 06:28 PM
first off mojoe My question is, does the edge give you the instrumentation to know if your running to lean, and if not can you correct the a/f if you dynoed it. And has anyone with an xcal2 datalogged and dynoed, then seen a better response like the small adjs that you have made to the edge?

Old 02-25-2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by nothinbutaford
first off mojoe My question is, does the edge give you the instrumentation to know if your running to lean, and if not can you correct the a/f if you dynoed it. And has anyone with an xcal2 datalogged and dynoed, then seen a better response like the small adjs that you have made to the edge?
I was put on a dyno to do some dyno tuning, and the XCal2 started thowing errors. The reason being, there are parameters you have to datalog that show up twice on the menu and you can't assume both parameters are the options that work. I didn't test it out before I took it to the dyno because it didn't say I needed to. Well I went there and came back with no info. Waisted money on that dyno but the operator who is also a tuner, noted the information looks good (A/F ratio, etc) and my tuner (troyer) couldn't really do much anyway a/f ratio-wise. He might have been able to adjust other parameters (shiftpoints, etc) but someone else will have to answer that. Hopefully asinatra sends his edge my way so I can see what I'm missing.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:26 PM
MoJoe, curious to know if you were able to load the Xcal and use the Edge instruments. Not sure if you tried yet or if I missed it somewhere.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio333
MoJoe, curious to know if you were able to load the Xcal and use the Edge instruments. Not sure if you tried yet or if I missed it somewhere.
Yes you can...This was how I originally had mine setup when I first recieved it....had my Xcal2 tune in and had the edge plugged in and only using the guages. MoJoe's review of both units was dead on in my opinion. I'm thinking of switching back to the Xcal2 tune for awhile to see if I can tell the difference and maybe do the datalogging and see if there is any more that can be squeezed out of it.

Quick Reply: Well add me to the list for reviews on tuners...