2004 - 2008 F-150

Well add me to the list for reviews on tuners...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BillyRayJoe's SuperDuperTrooperTooner
anyone got a review on this one?

Old 02-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by fourpointsix
Hey Josiah and anyone else with an XCal2 or Edge - I've noticed that my gas pedal does act a lot different now that I'm tuned compared to before. There is definitely a 'dead area' right in the middle of the throttle. I've gotten used to it but it's definitely weird. Does the Edge have the same symptom or does this only occur with the XCal2? Thanks for your input guys.

Nope none with mine

Old 02-27-2006, 11:26 PM
MoJoe, no throttle issues with the XCal2 or the Edge? Or both? Thanks.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:27 PM
WOW,

Thank goodness that someone did such a fine write-up, and a truly un-biased one at that. Really helped me to make up my mind when the time comes( but somthing else will have come up by then) Mad props MoJoe, and a Big thanks.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:30 PM
MoJoe, no throttle issues with the XCal2 or the Edge? Or both? Thanks.

With either tune. The only issue I was having was gear hunting around 45-50 in and out of OD with the Xcal. Mainly all tranny related quarks.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:32 PM
Alright, thanks MoJoe. I think it just varies from truck to truck.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Josiah
I've been known to take a handful, don't mind me.
No no... don't take it that way. It really wasn't meant in that light.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Nice,
I think that this is the first "tuner" thread that I have actually finished reading. I too am looking for the best way to make my everyday driver fun to drive. Very nice objective write-up, Mojoe . I guess that I need to scrape up some$$$.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Whatever tuner you get, if you can get yourself on a dyno and with a qualified tech.. go that route.

It's amazing how just slightly tweeking the stock tuner files (ex-richer/leaner-air/fuel mix) can make solid differences in Torque and HP numbers as well as the seat of the pants drive. Im a firm believer that not all trucks are equal and many have their gremlins or quirks that need to be worked out.

A generic tuner file is just that.. generic and a great starting point for that final tweeking. I couldnt be happier with a 311 real wheel torque rating!

BTW- No dead area in my gas pedal. May be year specific?

Last edited by spotbearsd; 02-28-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Josiah and anyone else with an XCal2 or Edge - I've noticed that my gas pedal does act a lot different now that I'm tuned compared to before. There is definitely a 'dead area' right in the middle of the throttle. I've gotten used to it but it's definitely weird. Does the Edge have the same symptom or does this only occur with the XCal2? Thanks for your input guys.
Everyone thought I was f'in crazy, serves'em right ;P

Old 02-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks MoJoe,
I have both tuners as well. A little different results but I agree on most of your points.

My experience with MT Xcal2 is it just has more power ( a little but more). There is one stop sign I floor it every morning to get into traffic. My 5K RPM shift into 2nd happens quicker with Xcal2. It seems to pull harder at higher rpms. This is non-datalogged.

The edge gave me better drivability and a good increase in power. I agree for an everyday driver the edge is better and the gauges are a plus. The Xcal2 can programmed for comparable drivability but would need to be sent back. Since this not a race truck and fact that I have both. I usually use the edge but when I want to "play" , I will load the Xcal2 tune.

They are both great products but the edge does have more features.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Well done MoJoe any chance of getting some dyno numbers from both units?

Old 02-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by 05SilverFX4
Well done MoJoe any chance of getting some dyno numbers from both units?
Thanks. I can't do the dyno on both now. The Xcal2 is already sold and shipped to a member here I was all about getting some dyno numbers, but after thinking it through, I did not think it to be fair since I never datalogged Troyer's tune and I am sure the numbers would be off. I could still get some with my Edge which I plan to do this Spring in between traveling

Last edited by MoJoe; 02-28-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Well, all the bickering is why I kind of shied away from posting my thoughts on both tuners (Xcal2 and Edge). I feel they are both well worth the money and will make quite a difference in driveability "out of the box". Like I said in a previous post here...I would compare these two tuners just as MoJoe did, but I will add my two cents as well.

NOTE: The following is strictly the opinion of shookman34....results were aquired using the Shookman Butt-O-Meter 2600....Your results may vary.

My Troyer tuned Xcal2 "out of the box" made a huge difference over stock throttle response, shifting and acceleration. The most noticible gains were in the higher RPMs (around 3000+). Keep in mind that I never did any dataloging or had any adjustments made to the tune...I'm sure there is more to be gained. I purchased the Edge tuner based on the display alone and figured on trying the tunes at a later time. I've only used the Level 3 tune and have been running it for about a month now with 93 Octane gas. There is alot better throttle response and acceleration immediately upon pushing the accelerator and at lower speeds than with the Xcal2, but seems to drop off at the 3500-4000 RPM range...about the area that the Xcal2 seemed to provide the most power (3000+). I haven't changed any parameters in the Edge other than the tire size and gear ratio because they were set incorrectly "out of the box".

Last edited by shookman34; 02-28-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by shookman34
Well, all the bickering is why I kind of shied away from posting my thoughts on both tuners (Xcal2 and Edge). I feel they are both well worth the money and will make quite a difference in driveability "out of the box". Like I said in a previous post here...I would compare these two tuners just as MoJoe did, but I will add my two cents as well.

NOTE: The following is strictly the opinion of shookman34....results were aquired using the Shookman Butt-O-Meter 2600....Your results may vary.

My Troyer tuned Xcal2 "out of the box" made a huge difference over stock throttle response, shifting and acceleration. The most noticible gains were in the higher RPMs (around 3000+). Keep in mind that I never did any dataloging or had any adjustments made to the tune...I'm sure there is more to be gained. I purchased the Edge tuner based on the display alone and figured on trying the tunes at a later time. I've only used the Level 3 tune and have been running it for about a month now with 93 Octane gas. There is alot better throttle response and acceleration immediately upon pushing the accelerator and at lower speeds than with the Xcal2, but seems to drop off at the 3500-4000 RPM range...about the area that the Xcal2 seemed to provide the most power (3000+). I haven't changed any parameters in the Edge other than the tire size and gear ratio because they were set incorrectly "out of the box".
That sounds perfect, my biggest complaint is that my truck has not off the line power. One question, the other thing that really annoys me is I have zero passing gear. How does the Edge do in that field? Just as long as the Edge makes a noticable difference I will be happy. Im not really concern with power above 3k. I have my kids in the car most of the time so going fast isnt in my top 10 list.

Quick Reply: Well add me to the list for reviews on tuners...