2004 - 2008 F-150

Well add me to the list for reviews on tuners...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MoJoe
With either tune. The only issue I was having was gear hunting around 45-50 in and out of OD with the Xcal. Mainly all tranny related quarks.
Would this be a direct effect of the tuners? Anything to worry about?
Thanks

Old 03-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
That sounds perfect, my biggest complaint is that my truck has not off the line power. One question, the other thing that really annoys me is I have zero passing gear. How does the Edge do in that field? Just as long as the Edge makes a noticable difference I will be happy. Im not really concern with power above 3k. I have my kids in the car most of the time so going fast isnt in my top 10 list.
You would be happy. I'm starting to get used to the responsiveness of engine.

Jack

Old 03-01-2006, 10:19 AM
05supercrew

You will enjoy the edge tuner....It was like night and day difference on level 2 (87 octane) for throttle response and passing. No dead spots on the gas pedal, has made my truck much more enjoyable to drive. I do not regret ordering it as I was on the fence for over a month on which tuner. I think the edge would be easier to sell down the road if I had too...........

http://www.discountpowerparts.com/ was the cheapest place I found for the edge.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Tuff4rd
Would this be a direct effect of the tuners? Anything to worry about?
Thanks

I am sure it was directly related to the tune. My factory tune and the Edge tune did not display this problem. It was something I am sure that could have been fixed by adjustment on the Troyer tune by calling Mike up, but since I was pleased with the Edge unit, I saw no need to I should of tried the Tow tune on the XCal2 to see if it displayed the same symptoms, but I did not, and that is my fault. But then again, it is hard to go wrong choosing a tuner for our platform, all of them are great

Last edited by MoJoe; 03-01-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks Jackdob and Silverfish, I really appriciate the input. One more question with the Edge tuner do you have to supply the computer code or is it plug and play? If its just plug and play this will me my next mod. Thanks again.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
Thanks Jackdob and Silverfish, I really appriciate the input. One more question with the Edge tuner do you have to supply the computer code or is it plug and play? If its just plug and play this will me my next mod. Thanks again.

Plug-N-Play bud

Old 03-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by MoJoe
Plug-N-Play bud
Thanks

Old 03-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Hi There , kinda new

I see alot of reference to datalogging , and that the Troyer model would possibly run better if this had been done.

Just curious if this is just something that makes this unit less user friendly , or if the performance gains would be negligible because of it?

Old 03-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Silverfish
I think the edge would be easier to sell down the road if I had too...........
I think I was in the same boat last week. I just ordered an Edge this past Monday and the resell is one of the main reasons I went with the Edge. I'm not going to be at the drag strip, so my needs are just more responsiveness and better driveability.

Now if I can only wait until next Tues. 3/7/06 is the ETA.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:50 PM
vjhpac

You will not be disappointed...agree on the resell of edge. I do not want the hassle of "dataloging" by going to a dyno and dropping more money.

I did a 0-60 time with the number 2 tune with 87 octane and did 7.10 sec
(bumped up 1-2 shift to -2 and 3-4 shift +10)

I did a 0-60 time with the number 3 tune with 93 octane and did 7.58 sec
(bumped up timing +1)

The number 3 tune shifts harder but the number 2 tune has more low end torque. The engine runs smoother and sounds deeper.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silverfish
You will not be disappointed...agree on the resell of edge. I do not want the hassle of "dataloging" by going to a dyno and dropping more money.

I did a 0-60 time with the number 2 tune with 87 octane and did 7.10 sec
(bumped up 1-2 shift to -2 and 3-4 shift +10)

I did a 0-60 time with the number 3 tune with 93 octane and did 7.58 sec
(bumped up timing +1)

The number 3 tune shifts harder but the number 2 tune has more low end torque. The engine runs smoother and sounds deeper.
Your 0-60's are better than mine, and look at all the mods I have, including the Troyer tuned XCal2.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Your 0-60's are better than mine, and look at all the mods I have, including the Troyer tuned XCal2.
There are WAY to many variables to consider if you are trying to compare your 0-60 times to his, if you were testing at the same time in the same conditions at the same place and with the exact same timing method, then you can compare. Don't sweat it.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Datalogging is something that must be done to complete "custom" tuning. The gains are there without datalogging. It's just not optimized for your truck until you datalog. You'd probably won't notice the difference at all datalogged vs. non-datalogged.

Last edited by hwm3; 03-01-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nvrenuff
There are WAY to many variables to consider if you are trying to compare your 0-60 times to his, if you were testing at the same time in the same conditions at the same place and with the exact same timing method, then you can compare. Don't sweat it.
Yeah and my 4wd Supercrew has a lot to do with it. Regardless, these are the best ways to compare our times as of now and that's pretty pathetic he is doing so well. I would hope I'd smoke someone like him (and yes I've taken into account configurations, options, etc). You can make several excuses but I don't think road conditions have a lot to do with it as I don't have wheelspin, temps really don't make much of a difference because I am pretty consistent with my 0-60's. I'm not trying to pick on you, just letting you know where my frustrations come from.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
Yeah and my 4wd Supercrew has a lot to do with it. Regardless, these are the best ways to compare our times as of now and that's pretty pathetic he is doing so well. I would hope I'd smoke someone like him (and yes I've taken into account configurations, options, etc). You can make several excuses but I don't think road conditions have a lot to do with it as I don't have wheelspin, temps really don't make much of a difference because I am pretty consistent with my 0-60's. I'm not trying to pick on you, just letting you know where my frustrations come from.

Josiah, what are your 0-60's? I still do not count on these units to be dead on with times, but it gives you a good idea. I got down to a 7.35, 7.63, 7.44 and a 7.24 on level 3 with mild adjustments on my SCREW recently. I just loaded the latest updates for my unit tonight so I need to test thoughs out now. I also wanted to get some runs in between level 2 and 3. I am still not certain my numbers are even close until I get to the track this Spring for my own amusement. But as it stands right now, each day that goes by I am becoming more attached to my Edge

Like hwm3 posted, I would still get some datalogging first and go from there to see how much improvement is there. Not sure if you have done that yet, sorry if you have. I also know you are waiting on Anthony's Edge to do some testing. Good luck

Quick Reply: Well add me to the list for reviews on tuners...