2004 - 2008 F-150

Well add me to the list for reviews on tuners...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dv8Mutt
Hi There , kinda new

I see alot of reference to datalogging , and that the Troyer model would possibly run better if this had been done.

Just curious if this is just something that makes this unit less user friendly , or if the performance gains would be negligible because of it?
Its the only way to be sure your tune is "dead on, ***** acurate"

Old 03-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Josiah
Yeah and my 4wd Supercrew has a lot to do with it. Regardless, these are the best ways to compare our times as of now and that's pretty pathetic he is doing so well. I would hope I'd smoke someone like him (and yes I've taken into account configurations, options, etc). You can make several excuses but I don't think road conditions have a lot to do with it as I don't have wheelspin, temps really don't make much of a difference because I am pretty consistent with my 0-60's. I'm not trying to pick on you, just letting you know where my frustrations come from.
I guess I just don't get it. Sometimes your complaining that your truck should be faster, yet at other times your "smokin" people. Something just doesn't add up.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Josiah, do your datalogging and put your Magnaflow back on! The Slowmaster is killing your times. I bet you could run close to 7 even with those changes.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hwm3
I guess I just don't get it. Sometimes your complaining that your truck should be faster, yet at other times your "smokin" people. Something just doesn't add up.
Guess I will never be able to explain it to you and thats fine, meanwhile these guys have been understanding. Does it really add up that identical trucks with exhaust, intake and a tuner are beating my times when I have significantly more mods? I am right at sea level, road conditions are ideal, etc. Congrats on your trucks, just wish mine was doing as well as most of yours, something definitely doesn't add up, you're right about that part. Even if we brought the two trucks side by side and he pulled me, someone would generate another excuse (i.e. his truck was recently waxed, the bug on your windshield was causing excessive drag, etc). There are many people requesting the results from these mods and I'll keep providing them with feedback, you don't have to "get it."

I guess it comes down to whether or not you want to hear the truth, keep an open mind hwm3, that is what this thread's about.

Fourpointsix, I need to do my datalogging. Not sure if you read my posts about the XCal2 throwing errors while on the dyno doing the datalogging, but I went home with no information. Anyways, my datalogging time period has probably expired unfortunately. As for the magnaflow, I sold it to 2005fx4. I agree, that probably has quite a bit to do with it.

Last edited by Josiah; 03-02-2006 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Josiah, don't sweat him. His rep is well known. Try the edge, see if it fixes you up. A few in this thread have said exactly what you have been saying all along about their Troyer tune. That in itself should make you feel better. Either way, give us one of your reviews of the edge when you are done. This thread is all about the info. Props to those who have spent the money and compared the two with objectivity...and then educated the rest of us.

Bill

Old 03-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by billindenver
Josiah, don't sweat him. His rep is well known. Try the edge, see if it fixes you up. A few in this thread have said exactly what you have been saying all along about their Troyer tune. That in itself should make you feel better. Either way, give us one of your reviews of the edge when you are done. This thread is all about the info. Props to those who have spent the money and compared the two with objectivity...and then educated the rest of us.

Bill
My rep? Care to explain that one?

Old 03-02-2006, 10:29 AM
You like to put down the edge, and anyone disagreeing with your opinion that Troyer is king..you like to pull them into a trash talking match. Josiah is giving his opinion, has given it before and in this thread there are several who have independantly said exactly what he has been saying all along about Troyers low end and throttle flat spot. There is a reason this thread is in this forum and not troyers tuning forum. I imagine that is to keep the drama out of it. Please don't start in here what would happen if these opinions were stated in troyers forum. This has been the most civil tuning thread so far, and calling Josiah out like you did will not keep it that way.

Bill

Old 03-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by billindenver
You like to put down the edge, and anyone disagreeing with your opinion that Troyer is king..you like to pull them into a trash talking match. Josiah is giving his opinion, has given it before and in this thread there are several who have independantly said exactly what he has been saying all along about Troyers low end and throttle flat spot. There is a reason this thread is in this forum and not troyers tuning forum. I imagine that is to keep the drama out of it. Please don't start in here what would happen if these opinions were stated in troyers forum. This has been the most civil tuning thread so far, and calling Josiah out like you did will not keep it that way.

Bill
I guess I missed the part where I put down the Edge. Oh well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Question

so anyhow... with the edge have you guys noticed any difference in your gas mileage? up, down, same, what?
thanks in advance.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Unhappy

ok ok ok.....I'm just as lost as i was before...lol...sorry. So I'm gonna do some thinking "outloud" by typing this reply....

The Troyer Tuned XCal2 is said to be great. However, it's also said to be lacking, but it still has an amazing reputation. It's $500?

The Edge is said to be just as great if not better. And, there are some lackings here too? It is $335.

Ummm.....if they add fairly the same type of gains and one is $165 cheaper isn't it obvious?

I have no idea. I'm not superbly mechanically inclined, but I have done all mods myself and probably will finish all mods myself except for the gearing and exhaust. My truck has a K&N FIPK and a less restrictive exhaust but could be better. My truck is going to have Gibson Headers, Supremem Highflow Cats, Probably Mag mufflers, E-fans, 4.56's, and 35" tires. I am going to wait to get the tuner until all those mods are completed. I want/need some raw off the line power. My truck already has great kick at the 3500+ range. What should the verdict be on my truck? I am guessing Edge because the XCal was showing more gains in the higher RPMs, but I already feel I have good pull up there, I am lacking in the low ends where the Edge is said to be better. So the Edge it is?

Someone help me stop spinning in circles on the top of the fence....it's starting to hurt.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Both are good for low end, if set for 87 tow.

Both are good for top end, if set at 93 performance.

0 to 60 numbers are better with both, if set to 87 tow.

I'm pretty sure you can get the Xcal2 for a much better price than what you posted.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:59 PM
ok, i can get it cheaper, but is it custom tuned? also, with all the "play" you can do with the edge, is the manual informative enough for someone who has never played with any parameters?

Old 03-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sportmanst
ok, i can get it cheaper, but is it custom tuned? also, with all the "play" you can do with the edge, is the manual informative enough for someone who has never played with any parameters?
You'll have to ask around on the price -- I'd recommend contacting your tuner of choice for this information though. Troyer Performance is a supporting vendor on our site and thus, the prices that he gives to the f150online.com members is, somewhat, private. I'd highly recommend that you contact them and get the scoop. They sell both the Edge and the XCal2 with true custom tunes so, that might help you make a more informed decision.

For the Edge...Most seem to be able to maneuver the parameters fairly well seemingly -- there are several folks who have them and there have been a BOATLOAD of questions on them posted between here and the Chips/Programmers forum...thus, the support group would be fairly ample I believe.

Last edited by Rockpick; 03-26-2006 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:04 PM
This has been batted around adnauseum.

The way I see it (I have an Edge). If you want all out HP, every last one you can get. And plan on datalogging, get the Xcal2.

If you're happy with a tuner that will wake up your truck & has gauges, get the Edge.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:28 PM
The more modded your rig gets the greater the need for custom tuning. Canned tunes are great for stock or nearly stock trucks but thats about it. Also Troyer offers a special price for F150 online members. It is a lot less than 500.00. Just food for thought.

Quick Reply: Well add me to the list for reviews on tuners...