2004 - 2008 F-150

I seriously need help! Oil filter welded on by sicko at Ford plant.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006 | 10:15 AM
I tried that one, but given the filter's position and the access from the front of the truck, it didn't budge the filter, but scraped my knuckles bare. I used a wrench that has three arms and attaches to you ratchet. Use a 3 or 6" extension and you're set. The more you turn the ratchet, the more the arms grab the filter, gradually loosening it. The word gradual is very important here... turn it too fast, too hard and you'll crush the Hades out of the filter.

To the dude with the mangled filter, I had the same problem with my old Chevy 4x4. The work around on 'ol Iron Duke 350 had to do with the fact that oil filter mount was attached to the block by one bolt. It was a $53 part, but got me out of that jam. I know this probably isn't much help, but it sounds like you'll need to flat-bed your pick up to dealer and let their wrenches remove the filter.

Originally Posted by jimmy k
I think he is referring to this:

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/oil_wrench.cfm
That's probably what I would try.

Old 02-05-2006 | 11:27 AM
First of all, please be carefull that you don't mess up the mating surface where the filter seals on the engine. You will be talking about some major expense if you do. You might try getting some vice grips and clamping them on the filter as close as possible to the engine, then tapping in a counter-clockwise direction until it starts to loosen up. You could also try spraying it with some lubricant as well. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2006 | 12:08 PM
|
I'm still at it. Thanks to those of you that offered actual solutions. As for the rest of you...........

Old 02-05-2006 | 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by joe215
I'm still at it. Thanks to those of you that offered actual solutions. As for the rest of you...........
Bug off!

You should have asked for advice before you used the screwdriver.

Have fun....

Old 02-05-2006 | 12:16 PM
Welcome to the first timers club! I too had the same problem. What I finally got to work (after the filter was a piece of shredded metal) was loosening the thing by focusing on what was left of the base of the filter. That area actually has some meat on it and a big pair of Channel-Lock oil filter pliers finally got the thing off. Another method (used by a friend of mine) was to use Vise Grips on what was left of the inside of the filter. Pretty? No. Effective, yes. Another method to try (very carefully is a Cold Chisel and a hammer on the base of the filter ring. Avoid (at all costs) messing up the mating surface on the block though. Oh yea, and don't try a torch! We don't want to see your name in this year's Darwin Awards.

Old 02-05-2006 | 12:46 PM
If it come to it.. you can remove the fan schroud and clutch fan.. plenty of access then..

You would then have room to do anything you want to it. Just an Idea.

Old 02-05-2006 | 12:52 PM
LOL, here, here. I second the motion!

Look, most of us have been there at one time or another, if it helps (and from the sound of your post, it probably doesn't).

This forum rules with all sorts of pointers, experiences and pain regarding our trucks. Do some research and then make your decision on the next step to take.

Originally Posted by Kool Aid
Bug off!

You should have asked for advice before you used the screwdriver.

Have fun....

Last edited by bubbadoo98; 02-05-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2006 | 12:57 PM
Old 02-05-2006 | 01:00 PM
Actually the screwdriver is ussually a tried and true method. I've had to do it many of times when normal oil filter removal tools just didnt work...

Old 02-05-2006 | 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
Actually the screwdriver is ussually a tried and true method. I've had to do it many of times when normal oil filter removal tools just didnt work...
Ditto

Old 02-05-2006 | 01:14 PM
There's a couple things NOT to do. (If this isn't too late)

DO NOT pry between the gasket mating surfaces.

DO NOT pipe wrench the threads.

What you need to do is make a make shift "Bung Wrench". If you have the rest of the housing ripped off, you should be able to see the holes on the inner wall of the filter mating area.

You can get some 1/4"-20 x 1" bolts, and a metal disc, and construct a bung style wrench. (Sorta like the little plastic pizza saver in the middle of the box when you order Domino's. My daugter calls it a Barbie table.)

Good luck.

Old 02-05-2006 | 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
I have also done this, and I have done so with a small pry bar a couple times. Punch it thru and rotate. As life has progressed, I now own every concievable size of metel band wrench, and I have a couple that just have a 3/8" ratchet drive off the side. Between them all, Its been years and years since I have been forced to go midevil on a filter :o

Old 02-05-2006 | 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by KiCk *** FX4
I really want one of these. It allows you to run two oil filters instead of one and change the filters from up topside!

Old 02-05-2006 | 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by ford521ci
I have also done this, and I have done so with a small pry bar a couple times. Punch it thru and rotate. As life has progressed, I now own every concievable size of metel band wrench, and I have a couple that just have a 3/8" ratchet drive off the side. Between them all, Its been years and years since I have been forced to go midevil on a filter :o

If a vehicle is new, and/or gets regular maintaince, I havent had a problem also. I get alot of older cars 68 and late 70's big ford/lincoln vehicles and pull the big block/c6/9" out of them. Some of them have been sitting for 20 years plus and they are just as stubborn as can be.

The screwdriver method is a last resort.

Old 02-05-2006 | 02:50 PM
|
It's fixed. see my other post for picture of filter...........

Quick Reply: I seriously need help! Oil filter welded on by sicko at Ford plant.