2004 - 2008 F-150

Tow Hooks or No Tow Hooks???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006 | 08:07 PM
|
Tow Hooks or No Tow Hooks???

What do you think, guys?

I'm trying to decide if I should install a set of factory tow hooks on my truck. The overall theme for the truck is more of a "street" look (22" rims, 2" shackle drop in the rear end, etc...) and I realize that tow hooks don't often go on this style of truck. But I think a nice set of hooks (maybe even chromed?) would look pretty good -- what do you think?

Here is a front-end shot of my truck so you can kind of get a "feel" for what it might look like:

Old 02-06-2006 | 08:22 PM
yea I think they wouldnt look BAD. especially since there is a spot for them on that front valance. Maybe you could get someone to photoshop some chrome ones on there to see how it looks.

Old 02-06-2006 | 08:27 PM
I think for the look you got going on the tow hooks won't match. Your look is clean and streamlined and the tow hooks(at least) Fords are a bit too big and may not look good. You could try some smaller hooks that are hidden to give you the funcitonality and not lose your look

Old 02-06-2006 | 08:28 PM
Suspended
If you don't need them, don't ruin a good thing.

Old 02-06-2006 | 08:30 PM
They will look great. I added a set to mine and they really seem to finish off the bumper (plus they are functional if you ever really needed them). After all you already have the places for them...they are just missing. I would go with factory black ones though because you don't want them to stand out.

A couple words of advice...don't worry about getting a 4wd valance. With a very little effort you can cut your factory one to accept the hooks and never know you cut it (I would take it off the truck to do it though...plus taking the valance off makes the hook install much easier). Second if you get the hooks make sure you get the factory nuts with them. The factory nuts are welded together on a plate so you can hold one with a bolt and start the other and tighten it. If you were using just regular bolts you will have to take the bumper off to start and tighten them.

Old 02-06-2006 | 09:07 PM
Thumbs down

Your truck looks sweet. I vote no on the hooks.

Old 02-06-2006 | 09:32 PM
I really like your wheels and your garage looks nice. the towhooks would look fine but only you can decide whether you would like them or not.

Old 02-06-2006 | 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
They will look great. I added a set to mine and they really seem to finish off the bumper (plus they are functional if you ever really needed them). After all you already have the places for them...they are just missing. I would go with factory black ones though because you don't want them to stand out.

A couple words of advice...don't worry about getting a 4wd valance. With a very little effort you can cut your factory one to accept the hooks and never know you cut it (I would take it off the truck to do it though...plus taking the valance off makes the hook install much easier). Second if you get the hooks make sure you get the factory nuts with them. The factory nuts are welded together on a plate so you can hold one with a bolt and start the other and tighten it. If you were using just regular bolts you will have to take the bumper off to start and tighten them.
I just ordered some factory tow hooks from my dealer. The parts guy said that I'd be better off buying some bolts and nuts from a local supplier. Do you think it would make it that much easier if I went ahead and ordered the Ford nuts and bolts to?

Old 02-06-2006 | 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by LsuSuperCrew
I just ordered some factory tow hooks from my dealer. The parts guy said that I'd be better off buying some bolts and nuts from a local supplier. Do you think it would make it that much easier if I went ahead and ordered the Ford nuts and bolts to?
Without a doubt. Keep in mind the frame is boxed so you have to go in from the end of the frame with the nuts. The rear nut is about up 6in inside and I have no idea how you could hold it and start/tighten it with the bumper on. You have about a 1in gap between the frame and the bumper (with the valance off) where you can slide the nut into the frame (and its not a straight shot so you can use a wrench). Then what I did was slide it back as far as I could and hold the front bolt in place with a screwdriver through the bolt hole and start the rear one. Once its started I then started the front one. Even with the factory nuts it was not all that easy (though not terrible either), but with just a standard set of nuts and bolts you could be in for a nightmare unless you drop the entire front bumper.

How much are the Ford nuts and bolts? If they are less than $25 or $30 I wouldn't even consider not getting them.

Old 02-06-2006 | 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by RamSS/T

How much are the Ford nuts and bolts? If they are less than $25 or $30 I wouldn't even consider not getting them.

Thanks, good advice. I think that's about what I was quoted per side. That's when it was suggested that I just use regular nuts and bolts. I'm gonna go check tommorrow, and probably order them.

Old 02-06-2006 | 10:46 PM
Thinking about doing this mod too. Can someone snap a closeup of the tow hooks and front valance? You said don't bother with the 4x4 valance b/c you can cut the valance to accept the tow hooks? Just want to see what I'd be getting into before cutting it. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2006 | 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by LsuSuperCrew
Thanks, good advice. I think that's about what I was quoted per side. That's when it was suggested that I just use regular nuts and bolts. I'm gonna go check tommorrow, and probably order them.

How much were the hooks? I bought my hooks and nuts/bolts off ebay for around $60. I have no idea how much trouble the bumper is to take off but if the bolts are $30 per side that maybe a better option? If you take the bumper off you could use regular nuts.

I whish I had a pic of the factory nut assembly (its called a "threaded mounting plate" I think) so you would know what I was talking about.

Old 02-06-2006 | 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by freddytran
Thinking about doing this mod too. Can someone snap a closeup of the tow hooks and front valance? You said don't bother with the 4x4 valance b/c you can cut the valance to accept the tow hooks? Just want to see what I'd be getting into before cutting it. Thanks.
I will try to get you one tomorrow.

I just cut my holes out following the outline thats already there from the factory using a dremal with a cutting wheel. Then went back with a sanding bit and smoothed the edge out. You would never know just by looking at it that it wasn't factory.

Old 02-06-2006 | 10:54 PM
i just took mine off saved 11lbs cause im not going to use them to pull anymore chebys out of the ditch

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=9331

Old 02-06-2006 | 11:06 PM
I took mine off They do look good on RamSS/T's tho.

Quick Reply: Tow Hooks or No Tow Hooks???