2004 - 2008 F-150

Hollow sounding Doors.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006 | 03:48 PM
I guess

I guess in the absence of anything substantial to make a stink about a natural complainer has to look for the small stuff. I personally can't believe you called customer service either. If it was me on the other end of the line I'd have gathered a bunch of other operators around and put you on speakerphone so they could get a good laugh.

Old 02-26-2006 | 04:46 PM
|
Hollow sounding doors

Mr Eharri3 in response to you how many trucks have you built ? My point is at sometime the American Auto Companies have got to quit Cheaping up their products if they want to continue to survive. I spent 30 years building F150's
how much time have you spent doing it? If you don't complain they will continue to cut corners. Next time you go to buy a new product Look at the Details not just the design. Auto companies Love people like you who pay no attention to the details because that way they don't have to address any problems. I assume your retirement doesn't rest on Ford making a better product and staying competitive and not losing market share. Small things do make a difference. Sitting around reading and writing in forums does not make you knowledgeable but I guess it sure builds one big Ego !

Old 02-26-2006 | 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Craiger53
Small things do make a difference. Sitting around reading and writing in forums does not make you knowledgeable but I guess it sure builds one big Ego !
And posts on this forum will not change the way Ford builds their vehicles. Neither will a phone call about hollow doors.

Get real.

Old 02-26-2006 | 06:02 PM
Mr Eharri3 in response to you how many trucks have you built ? My point is at sometime the American Auto Companies have got to quit Cheaping up their products if they want to continue to survive. I spent 30 years building F150's
how much time have you spent doing it? If you don't complain they will continue to cut corners. Next time you go to buy a new product Look at the Details not just the design. Auto companies Love people like you who pay no attention to the details because that way they don't have to address any problems. I assume your retirement doesn't rest on Ford making a better product and staying competitive and not losing market share. Small things do make a difference. Sitting around reading and writing in forums does not make you knowledgeable but I guess it sure builds one big Ego !
dude, if you built F150's for 30 years, then what the heck are you coming here asking on what to do about "your" doors sounding hollow. You should know after 30 years by now how to fix it if you have a problem no? I agree with Erarri3 that your nuts for even calling Ford and would have got a good laugh out of you myself.

Old 02-26-2006 | 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by teknics
I actually think the doors sound better on my 06 than they did on my 02.
Agreed +1

Old 02-26-2006 | 07:42 PM
Oh well

That is very high quality vehicle you drive. You're nitpicking on a very subjective deficiency that has no real bearing on how the truck rides, handles, or holds up in the long-run. To be honest, there are so many more important things that I look for in a vehicle, I don't listen to what sound the door makes when it closes because that has absolutely nothing to do with anything. You probably have a perfect truck that has had no mechanical problems and I think it's sad that rather than being able to sit back and enjoy that you want to make a big deal about hollow-sounding doors.

I don't really understand what you expect from your dealer either. There is no malfunction or defect in workmanship so if you came to my dealership expecting a remedy I would strongly suspect you're a scammer trying to get free dynamat or sound-deadening. I think there's a specific personality type that's never happy with anything and always has to complain about something. Kind of like Tony Soprano's Mom. Maybe that's your category, I don't know. But if you really want to start a consumer campaign over hollow-sounding doors I guess be my guest, strike a path to more solid-sounding door-slammings for all of us in the future. I am sure F150 owners everywhere will consider it a monumental break-through in worksmanship and quality when they can close their doors to a nice, sold, thunk. Never mind that it's one of the quietest, smoothest riding, and most capable vehicles in its class. If the doors don't sound right that makes it a big disappointment. Everybody should trade in their 04-06 F150s for 85s and 86's so we can bring back the legendary quality-control standards of that era.

Last edited by eharri3; 02-26-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2006 | 07:49 PM
How a door sounds when it closes is a car salesman's gimmick.

Nothing more, nothing less.

It's hard to hold a straight face when these guys start closing the doors in an effort to sell me the vehicle.

Next thing they want to sell me on is the sound system.

Old 02-26-2006 | 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Kool Aid
How a door sounds when it closes is a car salesman's gimmick.

Nothing more, nothing less.

It's hard to hold a straight face when these guys start closing the doors in an effort to sell me the vehicle.

Next thing they want to sell me on is the sound system.

Well, I agree with you about the speciousness of the whole 'sounds hollow' thing, it is still true that luxury cars doors do close and feel a lot more solid than most cars.
I've owned a number of Cadillacs (not the imports with the caddy badge) a Q45, several Mercedes etc. and there is a very real difference in the way the doors sound/feel on closing.

Not a sale point on a truck, and no, I never had a salesman mention it. Ever.

And for those that don’t want to play with the sound, people like my wife, the high end sound systems on do add one or two more points to why she likes certain model cars.

That said, the nit picking is extreme on these boards, isn’t it?

Oh well, half the fun, I guess.
Chris

Old 02-26-2006 | 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by eharri3
That is very high quality vehicle you drive. You're nitpicking on a very subjective deficiency that has no real bearing on how the truck rides, handles, or holds up in the long-run. To be honest, there are so many more important things that I look for in a vehicle, I don't listen to what sound the door makes when it closes because that has absolutely nothing to do with anything. You probably have a perfect truck that has had no mechanical problems and I think it's sad that rather than being able to sit back and enjoy that you want to make a big deal about hollow-sounding doors.

I don't really understand what you expect from your dealer either. There is no malfunction or defect in workmanship so if you came to my dealership expecting a remedy I would strongly suspect you're a scammer trying to get free dynamat or sound-deadening. I think there's a specific personality type that's never happy with anything and always has to complain about something. Kind of like Tony Soprano's Mom. Maybe that's your category, I don't know. But if you really want to start a consumer campaign over hollow-sounding doors I guess be my guest, strike a path to more solid-sounding door-slammings for all of us in the future. I am sure F150 owners everywhere will consider it a monumental break-through in worksmanship and quality when they can close their doors to a nice, sold, thunk. Never mind that it's one of the quietest, smoothest riding, and most capable vehicles in its class. If the doors don't sound right that makes it a big disappointment. Everybody should trade in their 04-06 F150s for 85s and 86's so we can bring back the legendary quality-control standards of that era.
Couldn't have said it better myself . My buddies 85 chevy truck has the most solid sounding doors of any truck I have ever been in, you usually have to slam the ever living crap out of em to get them to close too. I absolutely love the way our doors close, they are super quiet with the lightest latching noise and very easy to close, which is what I believe they were going for in the new F150....quietness. Why would you want your door to sound like a big chunk of metal hitting a wall?

Old 02-26-2006 | 10:21 PM
Guess you could always fill the doors with some sand or Quikrete if you don't like the hollow sound. This will make them a lot more stout and eventually help rip the hinges off the truck. When this happens, you can ask Ford why this happened.

Old 02-26-2006 | 10:35 PM
The auto companies do actually "engineer" the sound or feel of the doors. Its a quality attribute - not real quality but perceived quality. People like a nice solid "thud" when the door shuts, makes them think its a quality product. On my truck I too noticed that it wasn't the perfect "thud", but its not tinny or worse yet "sloppy" sounding like cars used to be. Not perfect but not bad either IMO - and it is a pickup.

Old 02-27-2006 | 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by eharri3
I guess in the absence of anything substantial to make a stink about a natural complainer has to look for the small stuff. I personally can't believe you called customer service either. If it was me on the other end of the line I'd have gathered a bunch of other operators around and put you on speakerphone so they could get a good laugh.
harsh, but true....

Quick Reply: Hollow sounding Doors.