2004 - 2008 F-150

Help: Center Console Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006 | 11:17 AM
For some moronic reason the parts pricing on the shifters (F150 and LT) is all out of wack.

You can't buy the chrome cap all by itself for either models, F150 or LT.

The F150 shifter, which you have to buy the entire thing is well over $200.

The LT shifter is sold as just the sleeve with the internal bits and is dirt cheap for the black leather (used to be $10). The tan leather which matches perfectly for the 05 F150s, not sure on the 04s, is about $49.

So you could do a LT conversion and you'd figure that out by searching on it. It's quite a bear though in terms of making sure you dremel everything perfectly. If it's not 100% perfectly dremeled out you'll have fitment issues big time. My LT shifter retro took weeks to perfect and I probably took it apart and tried again with fitment at least 50 times.

How did you pop this thing in the first place? I'm sure warranty would cover that unless you were playing with it.

To get the cap to go back on, I would do some JB weld. Put some on the small remaining ear and then put a very little amount on the edge of the rim that goes inside the sleeve. This is what I did and its a solid hold and no JB weld is viewable.

Duke

Old 02-27-2006 | 11:21 AM
|
Suspended
Well, long story short. I have a physco father who broke it. .

Old 02-27-2006 | 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Well, long story short. I have a physco father who broke it. .
Well $49 for a LT tan leather shifter, several hours of dremeling and you'll have a leather shifter. Take a look at the threads about it. Isn't too hard, but it's certainly a VERY tedious job.

Duke

Old 02-27-2006 | 11:54 AM
Truck of the Month
Actually the LT Shifter comes with a chrome cap but I assure you, glue will be the only way it's staying on there. I've tried krazy glue, now JB Weld, ugh. Honestly, the leather shifter isn't much of an upgrade to me, it's still lightweight and feels a bit like fake leather, and the stupid stitching is fragile. I didn't have much trouble fitting it on my shifter at all. Did you get the black leather shifter Duke? Maybe the reason the prices are different has to do with what comes in the shifter. So that is your cheapest option Thump, buy the LT Shifter for $20 and glue the chrome cap on.

Old 02-27-2006 | 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
Actually the LT Shifter comes with a chrome cap but I assure you, glue will be the only way it's staying on there. I've tried krazy glue, now JB Weld, ugh. Honestly, the leather shifter isn't much of an upgrade to me, it's still lightweight and feels a bit like fake leather, and the stupid stitching is fragile. I didn't have much trouble fitting it on my shifter at all. Did you get the black leather shifter Duke? Maybe the reason the prices are different has to do with what comes in the shifter. So that is your cheapest option Thump, buy the LT Shifter for $20 and glue the chrome cap on.
I did the tan leather shifter. The tan leather and black leather shifters from the LT are idenfical. There is absolutely no difference between the two, besides the coloring of the leather. Nobody knows why they are so different in price though. I think the were both initally $10 and Ford raised the price, but never raised the price on the black one. Probably just forgot or it never was corrected in the pricing database.

I thought the tan leather was a huge improvement over the lariat shifter. It was just stressful getting it to work though. I accidentally bent the spring in the shifter and had to buy a new one from Menards and then trim down the overall length of it to work. Then the black plastic cap that holds the spring in poped off and that had to be jb welded back together. It was a pain but I think it's 10 fold better now.

Duke

Old 02-27-2006 | 02:41 PM
I had 2 of those little tabs break off too -

I got them out of the shifter with a small screw driver - then used super glue to put them back on - and at the same time painted that thing flat black as I could not stand the glare from the sun hitting that thing.

So far both the glued on tabs and the paint have held up great.

Kirk

Old 02-27-2006 | 03:37 PM
Thump,

I have the same problem with mine. But, it's three tabs that keep it on, not two.

While I was at the dealer getting my oil changed, I got with the parts desk guy and for the shifter asembly, including the grey handle on up to the silver cap was $50. I was told they keep two in stock at all times, other than when one sells. However, since I know it will break again, I just put some plumbers putty in the center of the cap and pressed it onto the shifter **** so it was flush. The putty forms around the black square **** on top of the shifter and has seemed fine so far.

Course, if your's is scratched, it will cost you the $50 for a new assembly since you can't get the silver **** by itself.........unless you took one off a new F-150 when you took it for a test drive off the lot and switched yours on there.....which never crossed my mind even though i'm beyond my manuf. warranty and think Ford should fix it for free for using such chitty material to hold a commonly used part.

Old 02-27-2006 | 07:27 PM
Thanks to FX4, heres the part number:

The part number for the shift **** is 4L3Z-7213-BA

Thats from a thread about a week agao....

Later,

Luis S

Old 02-27-2006 | 07:46 PM
Our cap broke off of our shifter so after finding out you would have to order the entire unit, I glued it back on.

This was months ago and until I read this thread I forgot about it.

I hope this helps you

Fred

Old 02-27-2006 | 08:53 PM
when mine broke i just rigged it up with some double bubble and its held for about 6 months now. it hasnt come off one time it actually holds better than it did origionally.

Quick Reply: Help: Center Console Shifter