2004 - 2008 F-150

Rattle In Dash Of 2005 Screw/Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006 | 06:31 PM
|
Rattle In Dash Of 2005 Screw/Any Ideas?

I have this very annoying rattle somewhere in the center part of the dash. It comes and goes..but mostly is there when you go over even moderate type bumps. Speed does not make a difference..solw or fast it is there. It does seem that if I push down on the black center tray or "pull" the tray towards me that it stops. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 03-04-2006 | 06:48 PM
yes. more then likely its your center black tray. You have to take off the face plate to your CD player that it goes around to get to the 2 bolts that hold that center tray in. Make sure those are tight, if they are tight, take the tray off, buy some sound deadener stuff and stick in onto the bottom of the tray and re-install the tray. It fixed my rattle from there as well.

good luck to you!

Old 03-04-2006 | 06:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

If you have not had the center console out yet, you can pull down some directions at :

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/

Just download the pdf for the VSM for your year, and it describes how to pull out the center console.

It is a very tight pull the first time, I found it best by having a plastic J hook panel puller as well. I got a set of 7 from Eastwood company, but you might find them at a local auto parts store ??

Old 03-04-2006 | 07:27 PM
|
Removed Trim/Do The 2 Screws Have Nuts On Them & If So..

how do you keep them from falling down inside the dash? The screws are very tight and when I loosened them it almost feels like there is some kind of retainer on the back side. I have not taken apart anything except the trim around the center console which gives me access to the 2 screws. I don't want to take anything else off if I don't need to. Just wanted to be sure the screws thread into something that is "attached" as I can't get my fingers behind the screws. Hope this makes sense and thanks for any more help. Dealer has been about as much help as. "**** on a boar".

Old 03-04-2006 | 07:57 PM
Funny this post came up, last weekend I tried to fix the same thing and it worked.

First I pulled the trim panel off by opening the ash tray and pulling up. Be carful or you'll break it.

Put some dielectric grease on each support for the trim panel. Fold a paper towel (or any soft fabric) at the bottom where the ash tray goes.

What I noticeds the ash tray itself rattles a lot. Put a bead of die electric grease around the tray part and trim panel come together, stuff it in with a peice of paper.

Put it all back together. No more rattles.

Old 03-04-2006 | 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by BOBS SCREW
how do you keep them from falling down inside the dash? The screws are very tight and when I loosened them it almost feels like there is some kind of retainer on the back side. I have not taken apart anything except the trim around the center console which gives me access to the 2 screws. I don't want to take anything else off if I don't need to. Just wanted to be sure the screws thread into something that is "attached" as I can't get my fingers behind the screws. Hope this makes sense and thanks for any more help. Dealer has been about as much help as. "**** on a boar".
the bolts have no nuts behind them so don't worry about anything falling behind the dash because nothing will. I've taken mine off my truck a few times after finally figuring out how to fix that rattle your talking about.

Old 03-05-2006 | 04:48 PM
When you open up the cupholder and put drinks in it....man I hate that noise.

Quick Reply: Rattle In Dash Of 2005 Screw/Any Ideas?