2004 - 2008 F-150

Fabtech Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006 | 03:45 AM
You could just cut your brake line with a tubing cutter. Take the current fitting off and slide a new one on that you can work with to connect to a union. Then reflare the line.

Tubing cutter and flare tool shouldn't be over $50 combined and even Home Depot carries them.

I don't know what the Fabtech kit comes with, but personally I would install stainless braided brake lines from the rigid frame mounted line/fitting to the caliper.

Old 03-26-2006 | 09:41 AM
Looking good bro....hopefully you got some sleep last night. You'll be able to think better and not be so stressed out. Like everyone is saying, I'm sure you you can just run to the local parts store and get the brake line you need. So get to the store.....I wanna see this thing done

BREW

Old 03-26-2006 | 10:11 AM
Suspended
I guess Josiah passed out on us. LOL

Originally Posted by The professor
it would be hard to roll it out on jacks and it looks like it may be close on stock tires.
Sure these trucks are heavy but trust me, its possible to roll them around on jacks.

Old 03-26-2006 | 10:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Wake up Josiah!!!
I want more pictures!

Old 03-26-2006 | 01:31 PM

I've never installed a lift kit before, but I've lowered cars and trucks. It ain't something I'd even think about trying at home, since I got access to air tools and a lift. Working on the ground with hand tools? Pfft, that crap's for the birds.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Old 03-26-2006 | 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Working on the ground with hand tools? Pfft, that crap's for the birds.
No kidding. I put lifts on a few trucks when I was young in the driveway with handtools; then always had to fix them the same way because I'd break stuff offroad.

Then I started working as a tchnician in the Ford Crash Development Center, changing prototype parts on prototype vehicles before they were crash tested. Of course we had lifts and all the tools you could imagine. Also, these vehicles were BRAND new out of the Ford Pilot Plant, so everything was clean. I got very spoiled! I could replace an engine, trans, frame, suspension, body, etc. and not get as dirty as I do just changing my oil now.

Old 03-26-2006 | 01:52 PM
|
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by tardman91
Wake up Josiah!!!
I want more pictures!
Haha, Thump and Tard, I just woke up. I gotta take a shower and then I'll be out there finishing up. I did pass out ;P

I bent the metal lines for the brakes so they would fit, it shall be a temporary fix. God forbid I lose fluid on a trip. I have the front impact struts to put on and the front is done. After that, the entire rear has to be assembled (should be cake). All I have is basic hand tools so if you're pretty good with your hands and you don't have much other than wrenches, ratchets, hammer, large crescent wrench, torque wrench (to torque the bolts to proper ft lbs), you should be able to accomplish this. I might be forgetting something but it will come to me later. It's quite a bit of work for me and completely different than lowering a truck. I'll get you guys pics as soon as I come back in

I'm going to get a vid of it rolling out of the garage for the first time.

Old 03-26-2006 | 01:58 PM
Suspended
I can't wait, after all your damn talk its finally happening!!

Old 03-26-2006 | 02:21 PM
|
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I can't wait, after all your damn talk its finally happening!!
I'm going back out into that jungle of a garage, I'll be back with pics and/or problems.

Old 03-26-2006 | 02:22 PM
I cant wait to see it done. We need pics!!

Old 03-26-2006 | 02:30 PM
Josiah don't make me slap you! Get those pics up now. Its like every week one of us is getting a Fabtech or lift put on. Great progress.

Old 03-26-2006 | 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
Haha, Thump and Tard, I just woke up. I gotta take a shower and then I'll be out there finishing up. I did pass out ;P
Whew!!! I was beginning to think the truck fell on you and you were trapped! It's not like you to not post for so long! lol

Originally Posted by Josiah
All I have is basic hand tools so if you're pretty good with your hands and you don't have much other than wrenches, ratchets, hammer, large crescent wrench, torque wrench (to torque the bolts to proper ft lbs), you should be able to accomplish this.
Ah man you don't have a fire wrench (acetylene torch set)? That would have become your best friend... it makes taking off those old rusty stubborn bolts off a piece of cake.

Old 03-26-2006 | 03:07 PM

Heating suspension parts with a torch is a bad idea.

Old 03-26-2006 | 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by baja150
Ah man you don't have a fire wrench (acetylene torch set)? That would have become your best friend... it makes taking off those old rusty stubborn bolts off a piece of cake.
That reminds me... anyone installing their own body lift: it would behoove you to have access to a set of torches. The body bolts are loctited to the max. Also, since the anti rotation portion of the body mounts is soft rubber sometimes a 600ft.lb. impact gun won't get them out either.

Heat the bolts up and hit them with an impact... they'll fly out! Just don't touch them!

Old 03-26-2006 | 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Heating suspension parts with a torch is a bad idea.
Only if it has a bushing or other sort of soft damping material. Right? Now that I think about it. Almost all the bolts involved in putting a lift on these new trucks would have a bushing... basically all they're doing is dropping the LCA.

Sorry, I was thinking about the good old I-beam days. All those damn rivets that needed to be removed from the frame... you kind of needed a set of torches.

Last edited by baja150; 03-26-2006 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Fabtech Install Help