2004 - 2008 F-150

Fabtech Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006 | 07:41 PM
|
Truck of the Month
Fabtech Install Help

I am a little stuck on elongating the brakelines on the driver side. The directions ask you to carefully pull the brakeline from the frame about 4" and attach it to the new extended bracket so it will reach the new rotors (the brakeline to the calipers). Now my passenger side went on with ease and I might have my lift done by sundown tonight if I can figure this out. The front is pretty much complete, the back should be cake, also let me know of any issues or things to look out for when doing the back and how long it took all of you. I am working around this issue and moving on to other parts of my truck, like I've been doing the entire time. If anyone knows how to extend the brakelines on the Driver side let me know, I'm sorta worried about pulling them out of the frame anymore than they are now, they're very solid/hard brakelines and feel like they will break if i pull or try to bend them.

Pictures will come tonight, although my buddy left me to do the rest, I doubt it will take me very long.

Old 03-25-2006 | 08:20 PM
Check out this thread, post 14, Sal states that the brake lenght is different depending on the build date
Good luck, its gonna look good!

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ht=rancho+lift

Old 03-25-2006 | 08:36 PM
|
Truck of the Month
Wow. Thanks for stating that Fabtech. I am SOL for a vehicle, truck will be on stands for a while. Thanks for the link, I appreciate that. I have the shorter lines, thats unbelievable. I've found a way around every damn problem I've had and I come accross something I can't do anything about. I don't suppose brakelines would be sold at an "Autozone/Checkers/Kragen's" sort of store, would they. I really appreciate you going out of the way to find this. I am also going to skip the grinding down the Master Key part of the front driveshaft and getting it rebalanced as I think those both are to avoid vibration (I hope someone can verify this). I am now pretty nervous being that I don't have the longer brakelines, that would make this truck undriveable. To be honest, I really regret doing this install atm. We'll see how I feel towards the end, it's been a long road to this point.

Old 03-25-2006 | 08:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Parts stores sell lengths of steel tubing for brake lines. Get the appropriate thread pitch nuts, and flare 'em (it's been a while, I think you need to do an ISO type flare) and you should be good to go.

Old 03-25-2006 | 10:14 PM
|
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Quintin
Parts stores sell lengths of steel tubing for brake lines. Get the appropriate thread pitch nuts, and flare 'em (it's been a while, I think you need to do an ISO type flare) and you should be good to go.
I went and bought it, unfortunately the factory coupler is too shallow for the bolt to grab the threads. I'm sorta out of ideas, wish I could get some rubber tubing and connect it to the two steal pipes but Kragen's did not have any. This is my worst case scenario, no ride. It's almost done but the brakes are holding me up, who woulda thought. You pay $2k+ for a semi complete kit. I am stressing out over here :X

Old 03-25-2006 | 10:24 PM
Thats why its best to pay a place to install it. When I got my kit done last week one strut was missing from my box plus I needed a 5 inch block and not the usual blaock that comes with the box. Also I needed new u bolt fabricated custom for the rear. Imagine if I had my GFs dad do it.

Old 03-25-2006 | 11:21 PM
I don't know if it's really the best thing to have a lift installed professionally. If you like working on your truck like a lot of us installing a lift a dream. After you get done you can look at it and say "damn, that looks good". Atleast that how I feel when I do a mod to my truck. Hope you get everything worked out Josiah. When you get frustrated just remember how awesome it's going to look when it's finished.

Old 03-26-2006 | 12:13 AM
|
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by The professor
I don't know if it's really the best thing to have a lift installed professionally. If you like working on your truck like a lot of us installing a lift a dream. After you get done you can look at it and say "damn, that looks good". Atleast that how I feel when I do a mod to my truck. Hope you get everything worked out Josiah. When you get frustrated just remember how awesome it's going to look when it's finished.
Yeah, I know it seems that way but once you run into problem after problem, well it's another story. Disassembling my truck was the worst believe it or not. So many parts were locktite'd on, took EXTREME leverage and strength to break a lot of it loose. I won't have it done tonight, I'll need the newer "lengthened" brakes for the later 04's and up. I hammered the hard brake lines to contour to my liking for now, hopefully it didn't crimp any of the brake line. I hope I don't run into too many problems without grinding down the master key and having the driveline rebalanced. Another reason disassembling was the worst is the amount of rusted together parts we took off. It's looking killer right now, if you stand back and look at my garage, the truck looks like a monster on jack stands. I'll take pics for you all to see, hopefully it will motivate some more responses/feedback.

Old 03-26-2006 | 12:16 AM
Bull crap.

I think lifting/lowering a truck is something that any weekend wrench can do. It really leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment. Geeting it done by a pro mechanic only cost more.. Its not brain surgery.. its a lift kit.

Josiah, My only guess would be to go to the auto parts store and explain to them.. Only about 1 out of 30 Auto Parts store employees know anything about cars/truck, but that one person usually can help you with anything you want.. Just go tommoro and ask around.. It should be simple to adapt those lines.

Good Luck!

Old 03-26-2006 | 12:37 AM
|
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by khendrix2374
Bull crap.

I think lifting/lowering a truck is something that any weekend wrench can do. It really leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment. Geeting it done by a pro mechanic only cost more.. Its not brain surgery.. its a lift kit.

Josiah, My only guess would be to go to the auto parts store and explain to them.. Only about 1 out of 30 Auto Parts store employees know anything about cars/truck, but that one person usually can help you with anything you want.. Just go tommoro and ask around.. It should be simple to adapt those lines.

Good Luck!
I am not trying to discourage anyone or magnify my skill level, because alone I would have had a great deal of trouble. I underestimated the work and difficulty but that may also be because I have an early build 04 (short brake lines) and have a 60k mile truck with rusted bolts, etc. I was very close to getting the brake parts I bought to work but one of the bolts had a "no tread" space on the very tip and it was too big of a space to fit in the factory coupler (in other words I could only push the bolt in so far before it hit the "stop" and could not grab the threads). It's making this a nightmare but I think I am a little overstressed as well. Don't take my advice until I am done, I might feel different about it then. It's definitely not an easy task and by far the hardest thing I've done to any truck (but like I said it could be due to the [unfortunate] circumstances being an early 04 build and rusted to chit). I will go over the entire install in detail, what was difficult, what was not, etc. It's a lengthy install and having tools and parts in order is key to the flow of things (I can't stress this enough, lay the tools out in order, as well as parts). Anyways, we got past every hangup until I got to the driverside brakes. I tried to delay it as long as possible but I dont have enough jack stands to go on the back, so the front tires have to be mounted before I move on...go figure. I always dig myself out of holes so I know I will be fine, but I'm anxious to get this thing assembled. By the way, the coilovers make things look absolutely gorgeous, it looks like a beast sitting in the garage with everything on the front done (except for the brakes of course). Here is a messed up picture, I don't know how to get great pictures at night with this camera, nor in low lighting. Just try to picture the outline of the truck, it's monstrous.

Thanks Khendrix, I'll see what I can do in the morning. Are dealerships part centers open on sundays?

Old 03-26-2006 | 12:41 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Silver05
Thats why its best to pay a place to install it. When I got my kit done last week one strut was missing from my box plus I needed a 5 inch block and not the usual blaock that comes with the box. Also I needed new u bolt fabricated custom for the rear. Imagine if I had my GFs dad do it.
. . LMAO, posts like these make me die laughing.

Old 03-26-2006 | 12:58 AM
I understand how you could get stressed a little when things don't go right. It's only human to do that. My dad and I replaced a fuel pump on his f-250 today and it was a hassel because of the mud and crud under there. We finally got it done but it was a hassel. Just wondering how your gonna get your truck out of the garage after the tires are on

Old 03-26-2006 | 01:01 AM
Suspended
Just wondering how your gonna get your truck out of the garage after the tires are on
Easy. Either put the truck on the stock tires and roll it out or roll it out on jacks, and than mount those 37s.

Old 03-26-2006 | 02:03 AM
it would be hard to roll it out on jacks and it looks like it may be close on stock tires.

Old 03-26-2006 | 02:31 AM
|
Truck of the Month
it would be hard to roll it out on jacks and it looks like it may be close on stock tires.
I'll be airing down the stock tires if needed and possible cranking the coilovers down as well (worst case).

Quick Reply: Fabtech Install Help