2004 - 2008 F-150

Depressed about rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depressed about rough idle

Well, I brought my late build 2005 F150 5.4 into the shop last week to have the rough idle checked again. I had a bad hard start problem that was traced to a leaking injector and fixed last December, but continued to have a rough idle. I brought it in several times, and the techs noted it did not seem right, but could not fix it.

This last time the head tech sat down with me and said that he noticed the rough idle and hooked up a monitor to check each cylinder as it fired. He said that the each injector would fluctuate, but the problem never stayed put on one injector, including the new one, so he said it just must be the way engine is. It is within the "normal range." Some engines idle rough, others don’t. The fixes they tried in the past was to say I was using bad gas (I use Chevron, so it was not that) and to decarbon the intake. Now I am told all the gas in the PacNW is bad because of Hurricane Katrina (what!?!) The engine also has the latest reflash as well.

So, I guess at this point I am stuck with a "normal" rough idling truck. At stop lights the whole thing shakes slightly sometimes. It would be different if it was cam shake, or my Mach 1 mustang that has a shake programed into it. Maybe I should put a skaker hood on it to take advantage of it! I am hoping that the tune I am getting from Troyer will fix it. Kinda sad.

Dave

Old 04-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hang in there deeve. If you have an x-cal II tuner coming that will fix the problem. These trucks idle at about 550 rpm when stock...to dang slow. The tuner will speed it up approx 100 rpm and the difference is amazing. I had the same problem with mine and now you can't feel it idle at all, even in gear with the ac on.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks, I am expecting the tune in the next week or two, so I hope Mike can fix what Ford could not.

Dave

Old 04-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude don't get depressed over something like this.

Old 04-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Maybe "depressed" was too strong...but you get the idea~
Dave

Old 04-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Clean your MAF sensor with ELECTRIC CONNECTOR cleaner. Also check for intake leaks.

Quick Reply: Depressed about rough idle