2004 - 2008 F-150

E85 Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006 | 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by txnole
All of us have been running E10 since it came on the market replacing MTBE as an additive. I doubt anyone has had enough time to see the net effect on our fuel filters and systems
Not sure where you've been but E10 has been availble around here for about 10 years if not longer. It was used as an additive long before they phased MTBE out.

You question the "oil boys" but one of the largest companies in the world (ADM) --who has already ben busted for price fixing in the past-- is where we are to put our trust?

My only statement on the oil boys was the fact that they chose to use MTBE because it was a prduct they made. In fact, if I read it right, it's actually a by product of the refining prcess somewhat. ADM is another story, but needless to say, there are hundreds of independent producers coming on line, a lot of them are farmer owned around here.

MTBE got into water supplies because of run off into water supplies. I wonder what will happen when ethanol (which degrades fiberglass) starts leaking from subterranean tanks & lines?
MTBE has been found in the water supplies in areas that don't have MTBE in the gas, so obviously it's coming from more than just run off. Ethanol is just grain alcohol, I doubt you'll see any contamination issues directly related to it. If it leaks, it's not going to be the problem, the gasoline it's mixed with is. In case you didn't know, there are highway departments using ethanol for road deicing. It's safe for the enviroment.

Ethanol raises smog levels and cuts fuel economy. How exactly is that "cleaner"??
Ethanol burns cleaner than regular gas, that's it in a nutshell. And yes, it does reduce mileage, exactly how much depends on a lot of factors, but in most cases it's only a few miles a gallon.

Old 06-02-2006 | 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Walker Ford
This stuff needs to be readily available NOW!

People are making their own biodiesel, can E85 be made in
a home made still?
Sure can (don't know if it's legal or not to distill grain alcohol without a permit or something though), just mix it with regular gas, but don't go higher than 10% unless you know your vehicle can handle it.

Quick Reply: E85 Fuel