2004 - 2008 F-150

New Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006 | 02:03 AM
|
New Brakes

Ok, So I need new brakes. I'm starting to Squel quite a bit.

What pads should I get? I want Quiet with less dust but not 150 bucks a pad.

Thanks

Old 05-25-2006 | 06:39 AM
SnowmaNick
My plans to put the Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads in. Check out Tire Rack, pretty good prices.

Old 05-25-2006 | 01:29 PM
I'm getting some squealing now as well as front end shake - how many miles do you have on your truck?

Old 05-25-2006 | 01:36 PM
Go with any high quality ceramic pads. I have the Porterfields, and they work well, and much less brake dusting than the OEM pads.

Old 05-25-2006 | 03:14 PM
|
Ok, stupid question, when it says 65 bucks per axle set. If im only doing the front i only need to buy a quantity of one ?

Old 05-25-2006 | 03:38 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by ccla
Ok, stupid question, when it says 65 bucks per axle set. If im only doing the front i only need to buy a quantity of one ?
Yes, that would be a single set, which would be pads for both sides of the front.

Old 05-25-2006 | 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by SnowmaNick
My plans to put the Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads in. Check out Tire Rack, pretty good prices.

Hey Nick be very careful with the Akebono's. There have been many people on this site and whom I've talked to that have had nothing but horrible squealing, grinding with these pads. I believe Josiah had a problem with these as well. Akebono's are excellent for the lighter weight import vehicles but I'm not sure how much R&D they put into these for the full size market. If you do end up getting them keep us posted on how you like/dislike them, as I've learned from experience certain people love certain products and certain people hate em. This is more of an FYI than anything.

Old 05-25-2006 | 04:22 PM
|
Originally Posted by roushlimited
Hey Nick be very careful with the Akebono's. There have been many people on this site and whom I've talked to that have had nothing but horrible squealing, grinding with these pads. I believe Josiah had a problem with these as well. Akebono's are excellent for the lighter weight import vehicles but I'm not sure how much R&D they put into these for the full size market. If you do end up getting them keep us posted on how you like/dislike them, as I've learned from experience certain people love certain products and certain people hate em. This is more of an FYI than anything.

Do you have another suggestion? I'm willing to spend up to 100 for the fronts. I just have the freakin dust and squeeks

Old 05-25-2006 | 04:28 PM
Global Moderator &
At 13,000 miles I had enough of the dust. I installed Wagner Thermo Quiet on the front. Cost $48. They are not ceramic, just high quality metallic. There is a small amount of dust that is noticable after about 10 day or so. Since I have a black truck and normally wash it every week, the dust is no longer a factor. The factory pad dust was terrible after 2 or 3 days.

Old 05-25-2006 | 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by ccla
Do you have another suggestion? I'm willing to spend up to 100 for the fronts. I just have the freakin dust and squeeks

I prefer Bendix which you can get from Napa, they are IMO the best. Brakes are definitely one of those items were brand loyalty come into play some people like Raybestos some Bendix....etc. etc. I've never ever had a problem with Bendix, they are a little pricey but 100 should cover it.

Bluejay also had a good point Wagner Thermo Quiet's are also another very good brake pad. And like he said if you wash your truck often the brake dust won't be a factor.

Old 05-25-2006 | 08:04 PM
SnowmaNick
I prefer Bendix which you can get from Napa, they are IMO the best. Brakes are definitely one of those items were brand loyalty come into play some people like Raybestos some Bendix....etc. etc. I've never ever had a problem with Bendix, they are a little pricey but 100 should cover it.

Bluejay also had a good point Wagner Thermo Quiet's are also another very good brake pad. And like he said if you wash your truck often the brake dust won't be a factor.
Thanks for the heads up Mike. The Bendix are ceramic right?

Old 05-25-2006 | 08:38 PM
Yes Bendix does make ceramics and a whole bunch of other kinds. They even make them for "fleet" vehicles like police cars and ambulances for heavy duty use, whatever your use, they make em.

Old 05-27-2006 | 07:15 AM
I have had Akebonos on my F-150 for about 5000 miles now (front and rear). Absolutely quiet, smooth, powerful, and virtually no dust. This is first hand, and truthful information, not hearsay, nor the opinion of someone who hasn't even tried them. Follow the instructions when installing and you will be as amazed as I am. I was so impressed with them, I installed them on my BMW (Very noisey, and dirty brakes) with the same excellent results.... Read the PDF files on this site.... No, I don't have anything to do with Akebono, just a very impressed user! What hasn't Josiah had a problem with (Sorry Josiah, I couldn't help it!) http://www.akebonobrakes.com/afterma...ads/index.html http://www.akebonobrakes.com/company...kebono_NVH.pdf

Last edited by CCRider; 05-27-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-27-2006 | 02:31 PM
I put AkeBono pads on my truck as soon as I brought it home from the dealer.. that was about 30k miles ago. ZERO problems. No help in stopping power really, but hardly any brake dust. No squeaks/grinding.

Quick Reply: New Brakes