2004 - 2008 F-150

E-Fans in

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006 | 12:08 AM
Thanks for the info guys.... if the CFM is 5500 with the flex-a-lite's I will probably go with them.... I'm worried about blowing fuses though I know it happens every so often as I had them on a classic Mustang. I would hate to over heat my '06 with less than 3k on the odometer. Is there any fail safes or back up protocol that are run with these to avoid these other than looking at your temp gauge every ten minutes. Plus is there any disadvantage to running these fans i.e. lower engine temps causing sludge build up, maybe Quintin would be able to answer this.

Old 06-01-2006 | 12:38 AM
|
I havent had any fuse problems or any other problems.
I didnt mount the switch inside the cab instead i hooked it up to the a/c so whenever the ac is on so are the fans.
My hands are still recovering from mouting the actual fans on the radiator thow

Old 06-01-2006 | 12:55 AM
Josiah, do you have any pics of your setup??

Old 06-01-2006 | 01:23 AM
Truck of the Month
There is nothing specifically made for the F-150 with the Troyer kit that I'm aware of, the pins through the radiator fins have caused a few problems, especially if you offroad. The fans are great, the controllers are terrible, but it includes a nice electrical kit (probably around $20) and includes everything you need. If I could go back I'd definitely get the flex-a-lite, I've left a few wires exposed because I was in the middle of tapping into the leads for indicator lights & a switch inside...so I don't have pics just yet, let me clean it up and I'll find a camera to use, sorry TX.

Old 06-01-2006 | 02:01 AM
Hey Roush,
What are those tubes coming out of your rear axle?

Old 06-01-2006 | 02:08 AM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by c0ckac0la
Hey Roush,
What are those tubes coming out of your rear axle?

The tube is a vent line, the others are brakelines. I had a hell of a time getting that nut off there when doing my lift, I needed to extend the brakeline bracket but the vent line stayed the same.

Old 06-01-2006 | 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by roushlimited
Thanks for the info guys.... if the CFM is 5500 with the flex-a-lite's I will probably go with them.... I'm worried about blowing fuses though I know it happens every so often as I had them on a classic Mustang. I would hate to over heat my '06 with less than 3k on the odometer. Is there any fail safes or back up protocol that are run with these to avoid these other than looking at your temp gauge every ten minutes. Plus is there any disadvantage to running these fans i.e. lower engine temps causing sludge build up, maybe Quintin would be able to answer this.

Your engine temp will be controlled by the thermostat in the engine, unless you change it to something lower, you shouldn't have any problems. As for the fuse thing, if they are using an ATC or ATO type fuse, I haven't looked at my kit yet, you can go to the auto parts store and get a circuit breaker that will plug into the holder. You could also pick up some that you can just wire into the system.

Old 06-01-2006 | 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Fx4man2004
Im a real big fan of them.
Did anyone else catch this pun, or am I alone on this humor here???

Old 06-01-2006 | 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by PenguinFX4
Did anyone else catch this pun, or am I alone on this humor here???

Haha i think you were alone.. i didnt catch it...

Yes Flex a lite does have a complete kit for our trucks but it is $400 as well. The other flex a lite option is to just buy the fans and control seperatly like i did. It will come with everything you need. The controler works great and comes with everything you need (all the wiring, fuses, zip ties, taps, connects ect.)

Old 06-01-2006 | 01:16 PM
I did the TP eFans and, yes, it was a fair amount of work installing them but the instructions where clear and easy to follow. I had the problem with the probes as well and did the Permatex trick. Just put a bead around the probe at the base of the black sticky pad and they hold just fine.

For the temp settings I bought an infrared thermometer which turned out to be a bit of a pain. The thermometers have an increasing cone of detection the further away you are from what you are measuring. So, in trying to get an accurate reading of just the probes, I found myself right up against the probes with the thing. Then I went to Walmart and bought a digital Pyrex cooking thermometer for $10 and it worked great. Put the probe into the radiator fins right by the temp probes and the calibration was much easier.

Old 06-01-2006 | 01:58 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I would like to do this mod as it cleans up the look of the engine compartment as well. Josiah hit the nail on the head with the explanation of the tubes on the axle. I was wondering though for the guys who have lifted their trucks does the brake line distribution block get remounted somewhere else or is there additional longer brake lines included with the kit?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 06-01-2006 | 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
There is nothing specifically made for the F-150 with the Troyer kit that I'm aware of, the pins through the radiator fins have caused a few problems, especially if you offroad. The fans are great, the controllers are terrible, but it includes a nice electrical kit (probably around $20) and includes everything you need.
what kind of problems?
whats a mad controller?

Old 06-01-2006 | 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by roushlimited
Thanks for the info guys, I would like to do this mod as it cleans up the look of the engine compartment as well. Josiah hit the nail on the head with the explanation of the tubes on the axle. I was wondering though for the guys who have lifted their trucks does the brake line distribution block get remounted somewhere else or is there additional longer brake lines included with the kit?

Thanks,

Mike
I think the shop forgot to relocate mine as mine is still in the stock spot.. and i have the fabtech lift which i think it supposed to be relocated.

Old 06-01-2006 | 05:49 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by misato
what kind of problems?
whats a mad controller?
Here is one of the problems reported, sorta fishy if you read on. here is the mad controller.

& Mike, those lines are extended above about 4" with a bracket but the vent tube remounts on the axle.

Last edited by Josiah; 06-01-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-01-2006 | 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
Here is one of the problems reported, sorta fishy if you read on. here is the mad controller.

& Mike, those lines are extended above about 4" with a bracket but the vent tube remounts on the axle.

Cool thanks

Quick Reply: E-Fans in