2004 - 2008 F-150

If you have $1000 to spend on mods...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006 | 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by FordWask
We have some money coming back to us for something and my wife says to me "Once we get it, why don't you take the $1000 and get a tonneau cover and stuff for your truck...

So I am kind of unlimited here, have $1000 to blow on it...

What would you get?
Get a cat-back exhaust system and an Xcal2 or Edge, and whatever's left over, take your wife out to a nice dinner.

Old 06-11-2006 | 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by Nates06SCab
Beer, spend it on beer...
^^I agree

Old 06-11-2006 | 02:04 AM
Any tuner you choose will provide the best bang for the buck. When I was in the market for a tuner, the Edge made the most sense to me. The Troyer tuned XcalII is pretty reasonable in the current GP from what I saw leaked, and many say it gives more umph. Your call. I added a Volant and Magnaflow SIDO after my Edge purchase. Neither gave me the SOP and documentable gains like the tuner. I'm going to see what settings dial in my setup.

Old 06-11-2006 | 02:20 AM
Truck of the Month
I would give back most of my mods for the Avic-Z1, a new headunit will have you making excuses to go for a ride in your truck (the damn PIE Aux adapter did that for me). If you're looking for performance (I still think a head unit would be the best change in your truck), go with the Edge. My experience with Troyer has been...well not so great and I'm not the only one (I can easily announce names). It's spoken about more openly on Ford truck world as he's not a vendor for FTW like he is here (a little less biased). For instance there were several threads created months ago and they were all closed in his defense, there was nothing obscure nor disrespectful about any of them, yet they were deleted and/or closed. Before you ask why I'm here it's simple, I really favor the community, moderators and posts here @ F150online.

The Troyer problems started with the XCal2 (lost in town mileage, pedal felt mushlike and was 50% lifeless). There are also a ton of sloppy variables/parameters that make datalogging a nightmare (at least there were on my XCal2). It's basically a sloppy list of datalogging parameters you choose to log, there are duplicates everywhere and the duplicates don't work, it's anyones guess as to which is which. I learned this the hard way and cost me a pretty penny (XCal2 threw errors while on the dyno for choosing a wrong duplicate parameter). This is not a custom tune without doing the datalogging. The Edge was put through rigorous testing under the supervision of Edge's tuning team. Edge has a huge reputation for doing things well. I would not be surprised if their tuning is superior (numbers) to the tuning from Troyer's XCal2.

Secondly, the e-fans come with "faulty" controllers (expensive to replace too). The controllers from Troyers kit are prone to breaking the temperature adjustment pots so just beware, they do not replace them (I can think of at least 5 people who have broken both). Instead the customer service will fault you for abuse/neglect. I could go on about how Marc Carpenter (who just coincidentally sells Troyer Performance products) has received the largest gains out of anyone on the forums (40hp+) via the XCal2 and custom tuning, but I enjoy this board and am probably on my way to a ban if I keep this up (Asinatra was banned for a similar reason). Just remember the JLT intake and custom tuner (SCT X2 tuner) are not even raving of results of 40+Hp combined and I'm sure they've paid good money to run their setup on many more F-150's than Troyer.

I hate to go on about them as Troyer is a good guy but we should be able to openly discuss his products here as well. I just don't agree with the way they take care of things.

If you're looking for performance, the Edge tuner and Flex-A-Lite e-fan kit will provide wonderful gains. The JLT intake and tuner combo are supposed to provide great gains but it's fairly new atm.

If you're looking for functionality, the bedrug is awesome (drive in movies, camping trips, etc). The headunit would be great as well, same goes for a bedcover. For functionality your on your own, it's what it's worth to you but we can certainly answer questions for ya. I don't know whats wrong with me tonight but it's very hard for me to sell someones products who have let me down on so many occasions. I am sitting here with a non-custom tuned XCal2 & a broken e-fan setup for which they take no responsibility for (I paid for custom tuning, and they put a period of so many days where you can redeem your custom tuning). This means you need to get your a$$ on a dyno quick or you just donated a ton of $ to the Troyer sucker fund. I've "donated" well over $1000 to them (pullies, intake, tuner, e-fan kit etc). For the premium you pay for their products I expected a little more from their customer support. The tuner is expensive ($450+ with the f150online discount vs. Edge's $320). The pullies are also overpriced ($188) and you can get the same pully set for low 100's elsewhere. The E-fans are another $400+ item and you can get the setup elsewhere for much cheaper...about half the cost).

Once again I apologize for speaking out about these problems but I lost a lot of money going with them and I'm sure 90% of you don't know about these problems of which you absolutely should.

Last edited by Josiah; 06-11-2006 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-11-2006 | 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by Josiah
I would give back most of my mods for the Avic-Z1, a new headunit will have you making excuses to go for a ride in your truck (the damn PIE Aux adapter did that for me). If you're looking for performance (I still think a head unit would be the best change in your truck), go with the Edge. My experience with Troyer has been...well not so great and I'm not the only one (I can easily announce names). It's spoken about more openly on Ford truck world as he's not a vendor for FTW like he is here (a little less biased). For instance there were several threads created months ago and they were all closed in his defense, there was nothing obscure nor disrespectful about any of them, yet they were deleted and/or closed. Before you ask why I'm here it's simple, I really favor the community, moderators and posts here @ F150online.

The Troyer problems started with the XCal2 (lost in town mileage, pedal felt mushlike and was 50% lifeless). There are also a ton of sloppy variables/parameters that make datalogging a nightmare (at least there were on my XCal2). It's basically a sloppy list of datalogging parameters you choose to log, there are duplicates everywhere and the duplicates don't work, it's anyones guess as to which is which. I learned this the hard way and cost me a pretty penny (XCal2 threw errors while on the dyno for choosing a wrong duplicate parameter). This is not a custom tune without doing the datalogging. The Edge was put through rigorous testing under the supervision of Edge's tuning team. Edge has a huge reputation for doing things well. I would not be surprised if their tuning is superior (numbers) to the tuning from Troyer's XCal2.

Secondly, the e-fans come with "faulty" controllers (expensive to replace too). The controllers from Troyers kit are prone to breaking the temperature adjustment pots so just beware, they do not replace them (I can think of at least 5 people who have broken both). Instead the customer service will fault you for abuse/neglect. I could go on about how Marc Carpenter (who just coincidentally sells Troyer Performance products) has received the largest gains out of anyone on the forums (40hp+) via the XCal2 and custom tuning, but I enjoy this board and am probably on my way to a ban if I keep this up (Asinatra was banned for a similar reason). Just remember the JLT intake and custom tuner (SCT X2 tuner) are not even raving of results of 40+Hp combined and I'm sure they've paid good money to run their setup on many more F-150's than Troyer.

I hate to go on about them as Troyer is a good guy but we should be able to openly discuss his products here as well. I just don't agree with the way they take care of things.

If you're looking for performance, the Edge tuner and Flex-A-Lite e-fan kit will provide wonderful gains. The JLT intake and tuner combo are supposed to provide great gains but it's fairly new atm.

If you're looking for functionality, the bedrug is awesome (drive in movies, camping trips, etc). The headunit would be great as well, same goes for a bedcover. For functionality your on your own, it's what it's worth to you but we can certainly answer questions for ya. I don't know whats wrong with me tonight but it's very hard for me to sell someones products who have let me down on so many occasions. I am sitting here with a non-custom tuned XCal2 & a broken e-fan setup for which they take no responsibility for (I paid for custom tuning, and they put a period of so many days where you can redeem your custom tuning). This means you need to get your a$$ on a dyno quick or you just donated a ton of $ to the Troyer sucker fund. I've "donated" well over $1000 to them (pullies, intake, tuner, e-fan kit etc). For the premium you pay for their products I expected a little more from their customer support. The tuner is expensive ($450+ with the f150online discount vs. Edge's $320). The pullies are also overpriced ($188) and you can get the same pully set for low 100's elsewhere. The E-fans are another $400+ item and you can get the setup elsewhere for much cheaper...about half the cost).

Once again I apologize for speaking out about these problems but I lost a lot of money going with them and I'm sure 90% of you don't know about these problems of which you absolutely should.

Please don't take this as a slam or flame, but going back and reading most of your posts involving modifications for your truck, you seem to have had problems with almost everyone of them..I think maybe your truck is jinked or something.

Old 06-11-2006 | 07:56 AM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
Please don't take this as a slam or flame, but going back and reading most of your posts involving modifications for your truck, you seem to have had problems with almost everyone of them..I think maybe your truck is jinked or something.
I have had problems with Sportztrailers, Troyer & Southern Tire & Wheel. I am certainly not the first (1st example, 2nd example, 3rd example...uhh...4th example...5th example...*sigh* ...I can keep going?) so how does this pertain to being jinxed. When you mod your truck you're inevitably going to run into problems the more mods you have. I have had a problem with a few mods out of many and unfortunately speaking out against troyer never goes well...with anyone. I hate going against the grain but I've had problems and I'm not going to deny them, somewhat unfair to others if I were to keep quiet as they've kept me up to snuff. I've dealt with many and give credit where credit is due. Some establishments can learn a great deal from company's like Oznium, Discount Tire, Fabtech, etc.

When I get the reacharound on a large purchase, the last thing I will do is keep quiet. There isn't a lot I can do except encourage the vendor in question to deal with these problems in the future, I have nothing to gain. The simple answer to your reply was mentioned before, I have many mods and a conflict or 3 is not all that unlikely. Don't mistake problems I bring upon myself for complaints (steering rack, t-case, etc).

The links above will all show complaints about Troyer's controllers, mounting problems, just scroll down.

Last edited by Josiah; 06-11-2006 at 08:27 AM.

Quick Reply: If you have $1000 to spend on mods...