2004 - 2008 F-150

Will a 06 Supercrew 5.5ft bed hold a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will a 06 Supercrew 5.5ft bed hold a Harley?

Newbie here,
this forum is pretty awesome--have been reading threads incessantly since i bought my 06 F150 Supercrew Lariat a few weeks ago. I love it by the way.
I did a search on hauling motorcycles but it didn't have the specific answer i was looking for. My measurements say it is do-able (barely, even with the tailgate down) but i'm wondering has anybody loaded a HD Fatboy into a 5.5ft bed with the tailgate down? Will it actually fit?
One of the major reasons i was 'allowed' to get a truck was because we could load up the bike. If my wife finds out that i'm not going to be able to do this, i lose credibility!!! and the mods i've already 'persuaded' her we 'need'.
Thanks for your help.

Adam

Old 06-30-2006, 11:40 AM
My dealer has an 06 HD f150 (6.5 bed) on there show room floor with a Sportster in it and it goes right back to the end of the tailgate with it down and a bed extender.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:42 AM
If you put the bike in cross-ways so the front wheel is in the front corner of the bed and the back wheel on the opposite side on the tailgate, it should probably just fit. I too have a Fatboy, but have never tried to put it in the back of my truck (no ramps). I've been using a trailer anytime I have to take the bike somewhere.
Just convince your wife that you now need a motorcycle trailer to "compliment" your truck and Harley.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Not a HD guy, but I think a Sportster is probably little shorter then a fatboy..

Adam - Do you have measurements for the bike?

I'd imagine a bed extender would help.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Damn, sounds like it may not--or it'll be even closer than i thought. I guess i should have measured closer! I'm still interested if anybody else has successfully done it. Thanks though.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Just went to there web site:
06 sportster is 90.3 inches.
06 fatboy is 94.3 inches

Measure the bed on an angle. If it does it will be tight.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Your gonna be very "hard pressed" to load a FatBoy in a 5.5 bed.
My 6.5 is barely large enough to load straight in with no weight on the tail gate after being pushed all the way forward.

-TFB

Last edited by TexasFatboy; 06-30-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:21 PM
I have a Fatboy and a supercrew w/ the 5.5 ft box.
Last weekend I put it in the back of the truck.
It loaded up with no problems.
I couldn't put my bed extender on (it would hit the fender) but the bike fit just fine.
hope this helps

Old 06-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Nice truck and bike.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by TexasFatboy
Your gonna be very "hard pressed" to load FatBoy in a 5.5 bed.
My 6.5 is barely large enough to load straight in with no weight on the tail gate after being pushed all the way forward.

-TFB

What brand ramp do you have???? I like it!!!!!

Old 06-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Wow, this is great--so many helpful responses--thanks guys.

PKONNICK -
did you load your fatboy straight in? or on an angle as somebody else suggested? I would think on an angle could be a little dangerous due to eneven weight distribution.

TEXASFATBOY - I was pretty much planning on having the bike sit on the tailgate--atleast thats how i measured. Is there good reason not to have it sit on the tailgate? I know it can only support up to 500lbs, but i would figure that at no time would that much weight be on the tailgate.
By the way, like someone else said, nice ramp, what kind and how much? Were you/are you in the military?

Old 06-30-2006, 01:48 PM
straight in..........no problems

Old 06-30-2006, 09:10 PM
TEXASFATBOY - I was pretty much planning on having the bike sit on the tailgate--atleast thats how i measured. Is there good reason not to have it sit on the tailgate? I know it can only support up to 500lbs, but i would figure that at no time would that much weight be on the tailgate.
By the way, like someone else said, nice ramp, what kind and how much? Were you/are you in the military?
I would think with the correct equipment, you might be safe. I just can’t get over the feeling of having a 700lb bike riding on the tailgate.
On the other hand...the cables are pretty stout and I'm probably worrying about nothing.

My scoot is also being held in place by a "Condor Wheel Chock" which uses the weight from the front wheel to secure in place.
Once the bike is locked in and strapped...it aint going no-where. See pic below...

The ramps are a three piece design, aluminum and have slight "arch" built into them to allow for clearance. They can easily handle a full dresser i.e.: Electra Glide or Gold Wing.

The true beauty of the ramps and chock...is that it allows you to load and un-load by yourself.

The downside is...the price. There not cheap But then again...neither is a 16K bike.
When buying a ramp...make sure you get somthing that is 7 feet long or bigger. Anything shorter you would risk bumping the frame.

I should also mention that the sheet metal on your tail-gate is thin. A Fat Boy will leave a concave indentation unless you've re-enforced the back side. I got lazy and rolled it across without thinking about it, but it's hardly noticeable.

Oh, I almost forgot...I'm active duty Coast Guard.

http://www.discountramps.com/trailer-wheel-chock.htm

I bought my ramps locally and can't find them on-line, but here's a few I found after a quick search.

http://www.motorcycleramps.com/new_logo4.jpg

Old 06-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Nice truck and bike.
Thank you

Old 06-30-2006, 09:24 PM
For those that transport their cycle, I have used one of these for years and HIGHLY recommend them http://www.canyondancer.com/

Quick Reply: Will a 06 Supercrew 5.5ft bed hold a Harley?