2004 - 2008 F-150

Pics of single din install

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As OnBelay said, mount it using the instructions for ISO (at least if you decide on an Alpine, I can't say if it makes a difference on any other brands). It will set the HU in the mount correctly so you can use the trim ring that came with the mounting kit and make everything flush. Otherwise it ends up sitting back about 1/4" and it looks a little off.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by OnBelay

I flipped the kit upside down because in certain lighting situations the face got washed out from bright sunlight. By mounting the deck in the lower half, it changes the angle you are looking at the faceplate. I also "ISO" mounted the deck, using screws into the side of the chassis instead of using the sleeve and trim ring. This mounting sets the deck back in a little and puts the face flush with the kit.

Don't worry, Joe...unlike other folks, I won't tell you to spend more money than you planned.
These kits were designed to be mounted one way. Yes, it can be mounted upside down (and I would perfer the pocket to be on the top) but when mounting it upside down it screws up the asthetics. You can see in the above pic that the kit isn't flush towards the bottom of the bezel. IMO, that looks like crap.

If you look at my pic (of my old D310) and the others that have posted pics, you can see where the complete kit is flush and looks good. This is the way it should be.

The Metra kit is a better fit IMO, but the Scosche kit you can get the 3 or 4 disc holder that fits in the pocket. It's pretty cool...at a push of a button the discs slide out. If you decide with the Scosche kit, let me know...I have the disc holder you can have...I'm not using it.

Don't worry Joe...unlike other folks, I wont show you how to do things half assed.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by allrsdup
great thanks alot. do u need the proccesor for the head unit to work? and u have stock speakers and it made the sound quality that much better? that would be good, i want to do it piece by piece.
No you don't need the processor for the HU to work, but it is very limited as what it can do w/o it. It will make the stock speakers sound better, but remember...speakers are limited to their ability and the install.

If you have any other questions...email me, brypink@***.net, I'll be happy to help. We have hijacked Joe's thread enough.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by 04procompLARIAT
Save up and get a double din! They look 10x better! They are worth the extra cash for sure! Here is a picture of mine...

04procompLariat,

Is that an after market wood trim piece around the hu? Does it glue on or what? Also do you have the steering wheel controls hooked up to the hu and working? I love my new truck, but the speakers cant handle much past half way before they start clipping.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Save up and get a double din! They look 10x better! They are worth the extra cash for sure! Here is a picture of mine...

Woah... Someone needs to dust the dash off.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:46 PM
That wood messes up the appearance of the dash imo.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by brypink2
These kits were designed to be mounted one way. Yes, it can be mounted upside down (and I would perfer the pocket to be on the top) but when mounting it upside down it screws up the asthetics. You can see in the above pic that the kit isn't flush towards the bottom of the bezel
This kit has the same gap whether it is upside down or not. Since I don't spend all day hunched over the center of the console, and actually drive my vehicle in an upright position, I can't see the gap from my sitting position. If I spent a lot of time with my face in the lap of my passenger as other people apparently do, I guess I'd worry about the gap...and a few more things.

We have hijacked Joe's thread enough.
Yup, couldn't agree more.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:10 PM
No you don't need the processor for the HU to work, but it is very limited as what it can do w/o it. It will make the stock speakers sound better, but remember...speakers are limited to their ability and the install.

If you have any other questions...email me, brypink@***.net, I'll be happy to help. We have hijacked Joe's thread enough.
lol cool thanks sorry joe" hey we have the same name

Old 07-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by OnBelay
This kit has the same gap whether it is upside down or not. Since I don't spend all day hunched over the center of the console, and actually drive my vehicle in an upright position, I can't see the gap from my sitting position. If I spent a lot of time with my face in the lap of my passenger as other people apparently do, I guess I'd worry about the gap...and a few more things.
If you look at your pic again...you can see it plain as day! It appears you took the picture in an upright position...didn't you?

When you look at the kits (not installed), you can also see how they are tapered towards the top to allow for the angle of your bezel. If need be, I can go get one of them (I have both a Metra & Scosche) laying in my garage and I can take a picture and post for you.

I will also say again that I prefer the pocket up top. So, if you it's ok for you than so be it! After all, it's your truck.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Haha, yea I just got back from the desert that morning when I took the picture. As far as the wood piece goes and I have no idea what your talking about. I know the wood I have came stock on my truck and the black trim piece around the tv was bought from circuit city. Hope that helps?

Old 07-04-2006, 03:05 PM
I think mine is pretty much like tardman91's setup. The setup on the W200 is nice but I just couldn't justify the money for it. I have too many other hobbies to contribute to & I'm the only one bringing in income in my family supporting 4. I'm not complaning though. Ordered mine from Crutchfield for $199 shipped. They've got great customer service & you also get the free mounting kit & wiring harness.

Last edited by Ex4me; 07-04-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Haha, yea I just got back from the desert that morning when I took the picture. As far as the wood piece goes and I have no idea what your talking about. I know the wood I have came stock on my truck and the black trim piece around the tv was bought from circuit city. Hope that helps?
It looks like an aftermarket wood trim kit around the hu. I didn't realize it was the factory plastic one, mine doesn't look as real. I'd like to change mine out to a carbon fiber look, rather than the fake wood.. Do you have the steering wheel volume/tune controls hooked up to the hu? If so do they work the same or do you lose some functions?

Old 07-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ex4me
I think mine is pretty much like tardman91's setup. The setup on the W200 is nice but I just couldn't justify the money for it. I have too many other hobbies to contribute to & I'm the only one bringing in income in my family supporting 4. I'm not complaning though. Ordered mine from Crutchfield for $199 shipped. They've got great customer service & you also get the free mounting kit & wiring harness.

The 9856 is a nice entry level HU. I hardly use the DVD option...only ocassionally when the little one is in the truck. If I didn't like the W200/H701 combo so much...I would have probably got rid of it by now and be running the tube Panny (or a McIntosh) instead.

There's another guy on here (can't remember who) that is running an Alpine MP3 hard drive single din unit (I think it's the HDA-5460)..fills the pocket up real nice! But, it can be considered expensive to some. Plus, it's a kinda obsolete now w/ ipod.

Old 07-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by DJR 17
It looks like an aftermarket wood trim kit around the hu. I didn't realize it was the factory plastic one, mine doesn't look as real. I'd like to change mine out to a carbon fiber look, rather than the fake wood.. Do you have the steering wheel volume/tune controls hooked up to the hu? If so do they work the same or do you lose some functions?
You can get this for steering wheel controls:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAC-SWI-ALP-Alpi...QQcmdZViewItem

My FX4 doesn't have steering wheel controls...so, I'm not using it and nor do I know if it works good or not. Although, I hear it works great.

Old 07-04-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silver05
That wood messes up the appearance of the dash imo.
Just like the 4x4 switch right.

Quick Reply: Pics of single din install