2004 - 2008 F-150

Roush Exhaust is on!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006 | 11:08 AM
|
Roush Exhaust is on!!!!

Mike Roth at Woodhouse Auto is the man. Thanks BalogUK . I called Mike last Wednesday afternoon to order the dual rear exit Roush off-road system. Mike was real cool and took my information. I mentioned the forum and he really appreciates all the business we have been giving him.

Fast forward to Monday morning (July 3). My fat, toothless, beer drinking pretty cool FEDEX dude shows up at my house at 10 am with a big box with Roush all over it. The first thing I did was to inventory the parts. Everything was there, thank god . Well, except for the instructions which I printed off from Roush's website.

Popped the old system off and tossed on the new. The off road muffler measured 10 inches. The thing is super small and has a cross-over built in. Messed with the back pipes and tips for quite a while trying to get them perfect. I'm stupid when it comes to stuff like that.

Tightened everything up and fired it up. Holy shiznit is it loud. Now, I'm 35 years old and have had trucks all my life with everything from hacked up straight pipes to full systems. This is the best sounding system I have ever heard, period. At 60 mph you can kind of hear it but it is really mellow. Now from 0 to 60 mph everybody knows you. Don't get me wrong, it is not obnoxious or stupid loud but sounds very, very good. For anyone looking for a loud(er) exhaust, look at the Roush off-road. I paid $475.00 to my door (PA).

A couple of notes. Someone had mentioned that the Borla name is on the Roush parts list paperwork. It sure is. Right there in the box that says "copyright Borla Industries".

I did not have to cut the front piece of the stock header pipe although the instructions say to do so for the 05-06. Check before you cut.

If anyone tackles this installation with the truck sitting on the ground. Please read this.

I have worked with suspension parts in the past such as leaf springs. The kit requires you to pull the spring perch bolt on the leaf springs to install a hanger. If someone was to pull this bolt without jacking up the fame and allowing the rear axle to relax, the shackle will spring upward into the bottom of the box. I got to thinking about this while I was jacking the truck up and noticed that the instructions didn't mention this step. Someone could get a smashed hand not to mention truck box floor real quick. I figure that when Roush wrote up the instructions, it was on a lift and didn't matter. Once the tension is off the leaf springs the shackle should stay relatively in place. Pull the bolt, slip over the hanger and pop the bolt back in and retighten everything down. Let the truck down and same goes for the other side. Be careful.

I figured I would mention this for you DYIers out there.

TC

Last edited by TPC11; 07-05-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-05-2006 | 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by TPC11
Mike Roth at Woodhouse Auto is the man. Thanks BalogUK . I called Mike last Wednesday afternoon to order the dual rear exit Roush off-road system. Mike was real cool and took my information. I mentioned the forum and he really appreciates all the business we have been giving him.

Fast forward to Monday morning (July 3). My fat, toothless, beer drinking pretty cool FEDEX dude shows up at my house at 10 am with a big box with Roush all over it. The first thing I did was to inventory the parts. Everything was there, thank god . Well, except for the instructions which I printed off from Roush's website.

Popped the old system off and tossed on the new. The off road muffler measured 10 inches. The thing is super small and has a cross-over built in. Messed with the back pipes and tips for quite a while trying to get them perfect. I'm stupid when it comes to stuff like that.

Tightened everything up and fired it up. Holy shiznit is it loud. Now, I'm 35 years old and have had trucks all my life with everything from hacked up straight pipes to full systems. This is the best sounding system I have ever heard, period. At 60 mph you can kind of hear it but it is really mellow. Now from 0 to 60 mph everybody knows you. Don't get me wrong, it is not obnoxious or stupid loud but sounds very, very good. For anyone looking for a loud(er) exhaust, look at the Roush off-road. I paid $475.00 to my door (PA).

A couple of notes. Someone had mentioned that the Borla name is on the Roush parts list paperwork. It sure is. Right there in the box that says "copyright Borla Industries".

I did not have to cut the front piece of the stock header pipe although the instructions say to do so for the 05-06. Check before you cut.

If anyone tackles this installation with the truck sitting on the ground. Please read this.

I have worked with suspension parts in the past such as leaf springs. The kit requires you to pull the spring perch bolt on the leaf springs to install a hanger. If someone was to pull this bolt without jacking up the fame and allowing the rear axle to relax, the shackle will spring upward into the bottom of the box. I got to thinking about this while I was jacking the truck up and noticed that the instructions didn't mention this step. Someone could get a smashed hand not to mention truck box floor real quick. I figure that when Roush wrote up the instructions, it was on a lift and didn't matter. Once the tension is off the leaf springs the shackle should stay relatively in place. Pull the bolt, slip over the hanger and pop the bolt back in and retighten everything down. Let the truck down and same goes for the other side. Be careful.

TC
great write up TPC11 glad you're enjoying your exhaust- I know I am!
Justin

Old 07-05-2006 | 01:51 PM
man you suckered me in. I thought you got a Roush Super Charger put on. Is that next?

Old 07-05-2006 | 02:05 PM
|
Oh man I wish. No supercharger in the future for this truck. I went way crazy on my last truck with mods. I think this one is going to be simple bolt on stuff spread over time. Money's kinda tight. Damn kids!!!

Being a member of this site hurts my wallet on almost a monthly basis. hehehe

Old 07-05-2006 | 08:43 PM
Oh man I wish. No supercharger in the future for this truck. I went way crazy on my last truck with mods. I think this one is going to be simple bolt on stuff spread over time. Money's kinda tight. Damn kids!!!

Being a member of this site hurts my wallet on almost a monthly basis. hehehe
I can understand that. I spent 15k on my Lightning to end up trading it in for a more friendly family ride,my truck. Sniff,sniff. Gone but never forgotten

Old 07-06-2006 | 08:58 AM
Congrats on the exhaust!

Justin, showed me the way to Woodhouse too. I love my offroad!

Old 07-06-2006 | 10:33 AM
|
I'm kicking myself in the *** that I didn't take pictures of the muffler. The thing is so small. Justin mentioned that it gets louder after a while. All my neighbors are retired people, so they hate me in the morning. Although my one neighbor has a blown BB Chevelle. All you can here is the BDS when he goes by the house. It sounds like an F-16 going by. COOL!!!

Old 02-07-2007 | 10:23 AM

TC
Thanks for the heads up. Your post hits excatly what I was thinking last week. Can you tell me how you jacked it up? Can someone just remove the tension on the spring by lifting the frame up via the hitch? I'm not sure my floor jack would raise up high enough to catch the actual frame, and I would hate to get into building up a platform under the jack.

Thanks.

Old 02-07-2007 | 12:38 PM
|
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
Thanks for the heads up. Your post hits excatly what I was thinking last week. Can you tell me how you jacked it up? Can someone just remove the tension on the spring by lifting the frame up via the hitch? I'm not sure my floor jack would raise up high enough to catch the actual frame, and I would hate to get into building up a platform under the jack.

Thanks.
Smoke:

I have a 4 ton floor jack that lifts 23" so I just jacked up the frame one side at a time. I see no reason why you couldn't jack under the hitch. I would only do one side at a time though (that's just me). I placed the jack under the frame just ahead of the rear tire. It's kind of a pain in the butt to do all that work to pull a bolt out, slip on the hanger and then tighten the bolt back up. Once you fire it up though, it's all worth it.

I actually fired the truck up once I took the factory system off. Man, was that loud. A short Magnapack and turn-down would be LOUD.

Good luck.

TC

Old 11-08-2008 | 06:20 PM
So if I understand correctly:

Jack up the frame enough to lift the rear wheel, and this will allow me to remove the bolt without sending the leafpack flying?

I have the rear right wheel off the ground via jacking the frame, and I've got the nut off and the bolt halfway out, but I'm leery of pulling the bolt because it's not loose already. This tells me there's still pressure on the bolt, unless I'm just a scaredy-cat...

Thanks to whoever responds.

Old 11-08-2008 | 06:27 PM
Truck of the Month
Well, you don't want the wheel off the ground, you'll still have the weight of the wheel and axle pulling down on the leaf.

You need a happy medium. If the bolt is loose and you can easily move the leaf with your hand you'll have your happy medium.

Old 11-08-2008 | 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Well, you don't want the wheel off the ground, you'll still have the weight of the wheel and axle pulling down on the leaf.

You need a happy medium. If the bolt is loose and you can easily move the leaf with your hand you'll have your happy medium.
Can you be more specific?

Should I jack it up until the wheel is almost off the ground, i.e. as little weight on the wheel as possible, therefore little/no weight on the axle?

This seems to make sense, support the vehicle's weight with the jack, support the axle's weight with the ground, that leaves no weight for the leaf to handle and it should be relaxed.

I haven't found a point where the bolt is loose, and the leaf doesn't move at all ever. And at this point, the bolt is half out and I can't line up the other side to get it back into place. Someone please help!

Last edited by Coke734; 11-08-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2008 | 06:59 PM
Truck of the Month
Well, if the axle wasn't bolted to the leafs there wouldn't be any weight pulling down on it. If you jack the truck up where the rear wheels are off the ground the whole axle is pulling down on it, and if it's just one wheel half of it is pulling down on it and the leaf is twisting, making it hard to pull the bolt.

There has to be a point where you can jack it up just enough to where the bolt spins somewhat freely so you can remove it.

Old 11-08-2008 | 07:10 PM
I'm 43 & Glad that I have the "Legal" Roush System! Awesome mellow sound, just right! I co-worker friend whom I gave a ride home to the other day, stated..."your exhaust is just right, I would not want any more or any less." The muffler is a bit bigger than the off Road System's muffler............My neighbors appreciate me more on the cold morning starts, it sounds like a Off Shore High Performance Boat, on cold morning starts as it is! (LOL).........

Old 11-08-2008 | 09:38 PM
I went with the Roush street legal and I am totally happy with the sound. To me it is a little louder than stock (very little) and it is plenty loud for me when I want to step on it. Love the setup.

Quick Reply: Roush Exhaust is on!!!!