2004 - 2008 F-150

My Headrest Monitors - Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006 | 12:04 AM
Truck of the Month
You're doing good in taking them to disneyland every year, I went often as a kid and still love it to this day. Really is a magical place and will do this for my kids as well. Disneyland really gives them something to look forward to when times are rough, especially if they can expect it many times a year.

Old 07-14-2006 | 01:42 AM
nice install..... if you hve grown adults watching them. they are to high and angle up. I bet the kids will have a hard time watching them. I woulda put them in the seat backs intead of the head rests since those face the little twerps better

Old 07-14-2006 | 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by caimakale
I did install them in my existing headrests and here are the instructions I followed to do it. I was nervous as hell cutting into my vinyl, but said screw it and did it anyways.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID=75046&PN=1
Fixed it for ya.

Old 07-14-2006 | 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by styxnpicks
nice install..... if you hve grown adults watching them. they are to high and angle up. I bet the kids will have a hard time watching them. I woulda put them in the seat backs intead of the head rests since those face the little twerps better
I was thinking the same thing. Will the kids even be able to see them with the angle of the screens?

Old 07-14-2006 | 08:22 AM
The angle would bother me..

But looks great. I'd be too nervous to install myself. Did you find the install easy with our trucks?

I want to do this too. ~200 isn't a bad investment.

Old 07-14-2006 | 08:37 AM
Install looks good.

Old 07-14-2006 | 09:44 AM
I did install them in my existing headrests and here are the instructions I followed to do it. I was nervous as hell cutting into my leather, but said screw it and did it anyways.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID=75046&PN=1

I've been wanting to do this since I bought the truck, yours looks great !. How does the mounting shroud mount ? Is there something solid inside of the headrest to mount to ?

Old 07-14-2006 | 10:04 AM
When I had mine installed they shaved the headrests down so that they were flat. I was worried about the same thing since they angle up so much. I put a set of Icon 8" screens back there. Never use them, but always wanted them. Got the xbox under the seat.

Old 07-14-2006 | 10:47 AM
Doing it for my three little girls. Our long car rides tend to be better with video to keep them quiet. Prior to this, we had the dvd system that one of them would have to sit and hold the whole trip and it was a pain and had a bunch of cords for headphones and power.
Good for you.
When I first saw this thread, I thought it was another 'pimp in training' filling his ride with as many screens as he could fit. Nice to see someone do mods for a reason other than to 'impress people'. Looks great.

Old 07-14-2006 | 11:42 AM
Sweet install, gives me something to think about for the future now. My daughter is still in a rear facing child seat

Old 07-14-2006 | 12:02 PM
I decided to buy some headrest monitors for my truck, after researching several monitors, I did decide to go with a cheaper monitor. I bought Farenheits because I read many many good reviews about them. I found them on eBay for $105 each, $130 shipped so my total cost for the pair was $260. Here is pictures of the install, it only took me about an hour total to install them.

I don't have any video sources hooked up yet, that should arrive tomorrow with my a/v switch arriving either tomorrow or Monday.

I was comparing the angle of yours to mine and at first I thought you had them mounted too high but thats not it. I think its the way they are mounted. Mine mount into the headrest themselves and I think yours mounted using the shround to attach them to the leather cover. One mine I dug into the HR and mounted them inside it...yours are pretty much mounted on the surface (I know you had to make a pocket for them to fit..but the mounting ring is following the contoure of the HR).

Here are mine:

I have installed a few of these for other board memebers and while its not hard its can be a little intimidating for someone thats never done it before...if any of you are interested in having a set done email me...ramsst1997@hotmail

Old 07-14-2006 | 12:10 PM
Ram and Caim,
The headrests look like they are mounted the same in both trucks. But, look how upright the seats are in Caim's pix compared to the pimped out lean in Ram's pix. The top of Ram's seat backs are level or leaning back, the tops of Caim's seats angle towards the front quite a bit. I think the only difference is in the position of the seatback and not the monitor.

Both look great by the way.

Old 07-14-2006 | 12:16 PM
Flip 'em

Another idea is to mount the monitors to the front of the headrests and flip 'em around for a better viewing angle. I think it would look a little goofy, but it might be a quick solution to the angled monitor problem.

Old 07-14-2006 | 12:16 PM
Truck of the Month
Those look good. Hell when I was a kid the only entertainment we had as kids in the car was sock puppet shows and playing dodge mom's backhand. Good upgrade.

Last edited by Stealth; 07-14-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2006 | 12:41 PM
|
My kids sat in my truck and can see them just fine. I am going to try a couple more things with them. It was a quick (1 hour) install. I say it was quick because I have never done this before. I am going to dig some more foam out of the bottom and then shave the edges off of the shroud mounted under vinyl so its a more flush install without the monitors sticking out. I will post pics when I am done. We are going camping fishing next weekend and I wanted this done before we went so my girls have something to do on the 2-3 hour truck ride.

Remember guys, as much as this mod is for my girls, I have to say it's just as much for me and my wife. This keeps the kids entertained and quiet so we aren't screaming and yelling at them the whole trip. Three little girls have three high pitched screams, and in such a small area, they are ear piercing screams. This will keep them happy and quiet and keep me happy and quiet at the same time

Quick Reply: My Headrest Monitors - Installed