2004 - 2008 F-150

a/c not really cold!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006 | 02:47 PM
|
a/c not really cold!

i gotta say it is like 98 degres today and my ac s** it doesnt really get that cold. is there a recall or anything u guys know about or a well known issue or is it just mine? anything i can try before i go to the stealership?

Old 07-18-2006 | 02:50 PM
I've been having the same problem here lately too, the temp has been around 105 with high humidity. I'm hoping it's just the weather making everything funky, if not it's off to the dealership I go.

Old 07-18-2006 | 02:54 PM
I found that when my normal A/C is on (doesnt pull the air from in the cab) its not very cold, but when I push the recirculation button (pulls the already cold air from the cab) it get really nice and cold. Maybe that helps?

Old 07-18-2006 | 03:09 PM
I have the same problem with mine. While it is cooler when the circulation button is active, the air just doesn't feel like "ac" air. After about 30-45min of driving with the air on it finally does, but this just seems a little odd to me. I have been putting off taking it to my dealership, or any for that matter, because they all are a hassle to deal with.

Last edited by mwall1382; 07-18-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2006 | 03:19 PM
I noticed this to, last week my truck was in the shop and I had a Taurus rental. The a/c in the car blew a lot colder than in my truck, both at startup and 20 to 30 minutes down the road. I read about people complaining about this earlier and the dealerships saying that it was within spec.

Old 07-18-2006 | 03:21 PM
SnowmaNick
Two things:

Before I had the efans the A/C wasn't all that great unless I was cruising down the freeway with some speed, the stock fan just didn't pull enough air theough thee condenser at slower speeds. With the fans this has been taken care of (it's been in the low 100's with high humidity here and I am moving back and forth between Phoenix which is low humidity but around 115-117).

Also, I remeber someone was saying that theey went to the dealership and found out the a/c was OVER-charged from the factory and that was goofing it up and the a/c wasn't working. On the same tread I think Quitin said that there was a batch of 2006's that had that problem. That might work for Mike but I don't know about for you Allrsdup. Never hurts to have them check the charge on it and see if you are low or too high.

Beyond that I have read a boat load of people saying that their a/c isn't all that good.

Old 07-18-2006 | 03:38 PM
|
yes it really is frustrating, my other trucks the ac was always colder then this thing, if its a cool night and just high humidity and i use the ac it is ice cold. but now is when i really need it to be cold uhg!

Old 07-18-2006 | 04:03 PM
I had my truck in two weeks ago for cool A/C. They said my compressor was bad and they replaced it with one they had instock. Who knows if they really did.

But if you ask me, it did not really make a big difference. It needs to be on Max with the recirc on for it to stay COOL in the truck. If you ask me, this is insufficient. The fan should not NEED to be on max to keep it cool, not even cold. I know I have black leather, but camon....

My 01 Ranger work truck will make your nipps stick out on low. That truck is like an ice cube. Wish I could say that for the F-150.....

Old 07-18-2006 | 04:16 PM
For whatever reason I always have mine on Max A/C.

BUT, I work in a semi-truck/diesel repair shop and we have had a lot of A/C jobs come in, in the last few weeks. 75% of everyone's problem is all the dirt and debris that gets caught inbetween the condensor and radiator. Try blowing out with high pressure air from an air compressor and/or pressure washing.

Old 07-18-2006 | 04:21 PM
i have the same problem in my 04. I am at 30,000 miles now. So it is something that I will get checked out.

Old 07-18-2006 | 04:42 PM
I have the same problem in my '06. The a/c just isn't that cold until about 15-20 mins of driving. I've never tried using the recirculation button, but it doesn't seem that I should need to do that. Shouldn't it just be cold to begin with? My truck only has a little over 700 miles on it, so there can't be too much dirt or debris stuck between the radiator and condenser. I might take mine to the dealer too.

Old 07-18-2006 | 04:46 PM
|
well i have an appointment for monday morning, we'll see what happens. i am tempted to get a can of r134a and put it in to see if it gets colder, this way i dont have to bother leaving my truck all day monday for them to tell me it is fine.

Old 07-18-2006 | 05:29 PM
Same problem on my 06, when I took it to the dealer they found out it was OVER charged. They put it to specs and it works good now.

Old 07-18-2006 | 05:57 PM
|
i think its rediculous that a brand new truck and the so many people have problems with the ac. this should be something they check when the vehical is prepped for delivery.

Old 07-18-2006 | 06:06 PM
I just noticed the a/c was under par this weekend also. This weekend and yesterday it was 95-99 deg. and a dewpoint of 74 all weekend. It sucked and yesterday was the worst, since we are framing up a house. After 11 hours of work I came home, showered and went right to bed.

But anyway. I was driving my 05 Focus this weekend and I had to use the truck(04), and there was a huge differance between the 2. The Focus could freeze you out with the fan on 2 and a/c at max. The truck would just get cool with the fan going full and set at max. I am going to be taking my truck in to the dealership also, to see if they can do anything.

And my work truck (94) will still freeze me out of cab. And nothing has ever been touched with the a/c system, IMO, thats the way a an a/c system should be.

Quick Reply: a/c not really cold!