2004 - 2008 F-150

Is my Battery Dead? Or??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006 | 08:51 AM
|
Is my Battery Dead? Or??

First let me preface by saying that my truck is about 85 miles away at home.. My wife drives it on week days and I drive her car because I have a 85 mile commute (each way)..

She went to start it this morning and it wouldn't turn. When she would turn the key, the guages would go crazy bouncing from left to right (needles)..

Hard to diagnose being so far away, but needless to say she is pissed because it stranded her at home and she is waiting for someone to give her a ride.

Sound like battery is dead? We didn't drive it at all this weekend. I have no reason to believe the battery would die because I don't have anything that would drain it??

I just hope it isn't Edge related.. What's your insight? I can't fix until I get home tonight..

Old 07-24-2006 | 08:55 AM
does it at least crank?

If it cranks and wont turn over, it could be as simple as a bad chip in the key (this happened to my Dads F150 a couple of years ago)

Edit: oops, I missed where you said "wouldn't turn" My bad.

Last edited by J-150; 07-24-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-24-2006 | 08:56 AM
Moderator &
Originally Posted by SSpiro
She went to start it this morning and it wouldn't turn. When she would turn the key, the guages would go crazy bouncing from left to right (needles)..
This is what they do when the battery is dead.

Sound like battery is dead? We didn't drive it at all this weekend. I have no reason to believe the battery would die because I don't have anything that would drain it??

I just hope it isn't Edge related.. What's your insight? I can't fix until I get home tonight..
Can't answer if it's Edge related -- probably not though. I know that the 05's, in particular, had some issues with battery life (or the lack thereof) and several have reported having a battery replaced under warranty. My company truck's battery pooped out (05' F-150 XLT w/ 4.6) at the 17K mile marker.

Old 07-24-2006 | 09:08 AM
|
I'm at 20K miles, just hit last week.

That might be it then. Wife wants to call Ford Roadside.. Any issues with the Edge being in there, since I can't get home to uninstall it before they arrive? As long as they don't tow it, I'm OK, right?

Last edited by SSpiro; 07-24-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-24-2006 | 09:33 AM
sounds like a dead battery to me. I have already had the same thing happen in my truck but I think it was because I didnt drive it for a week or 2. I jumped it and it started right up

Old 07-24-2006 | 09:34 AM
Suspended
I'd just walk your wife through returning it to stock to be on the safe side.

Old 07-24-2006 | 09:50 AM
|
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I'd just walk your wife through returning it to stock to be on the safe side.
Possible to do this with a dead battery?

Old 07-24-2006 | 10:14 AM
Possible to do this with a dead battery?
Do you feel lucky enough to hope that the battery has enough juice to program truck back to stock? Even if your battery has a little juice. I wouldn't. I think you would be SOL if it was in the middle of programming back to stock and the battery totally went out. Your wife would then have a 6,000 pound brick.

Old 07-24-2006 | 11:02 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by FX4_Guy
Do you feel lucky enough to hope that the battery has enough juice to program truck back to stock? Even if your battery has a little juice. I wouldn't. I think you would be SOL if it was in the middle of programming back to stock and the battery totally went out. Your wife would then have a 6,000 pound brick.
Thats pretty true, I didn't even think of that. I had just woke up. :o

Just have them jump it and you'll be fine.

Old 07-24-2006 | 01:23 PM
I would just try to jump it first if it were me, if it sat all weekend there is a possibility that the battery drained. Even if you don't have anything that stays on in the truck there are so many electronically driven components in vehicles now a day that there is always a little drain on them constantly. The gauges pegging is a sign of a dead battery for sure, I just don't know if I would want to go through the hassle of taking it in on a hook.

Old 07-24-2006 | 03:33 PM
|
Update: They jumped and all is well..

..minus the Edge.. which won't power on.

Old 07-24-2006 | 03:35 PM
Global Moderator &

Is the Edge program still in it? Do you mean that just the monitor won't power on?

Old 07-24-2006 | 03:47 PM
the same thing happened to my truck a few weeks back.
I cleaned off the terminals and it worked for about 2 days and then finally i just replaced the battery and now all is good.
I doubt that it is edge related

Old 07-24-2006 | 04:02 PM

Like I said a few weeks ago the same thing happend to me. I had to jump the truck off and when I did the Edge wouldnt work. I unplugged it and plugged it back up like the trouble shooting thing says to do...still wouldnt work right, it said it didnt recognize the hex code. So I tried to down load the factory tune into the truck so I could update the Edge and fix it (again like the trouble shooting thing says) and thats when it f*ed everything up and the truck wouldnt even try to crank. I contacted Edge and they walked me through the fix (which involved about 3 downloads) but it was a real eye opener to me and when I got the truck back running I decided it wasnt worth it and sold my Edge on Ebay. I just cant risk something like that happening away from home (and my computer) while working.

Good luck with yours...I recommend contacting Edge and letting them tell you what to do to fix it before you even start messing with it. It might save you a few steps.

Old 07-24-2006 | 04:19 PM
Call Edge they will take care of it. I had a similier problem and not only did Edge fix it they sent me a new one at no charge for anything even shippping.

Quick Reply: Is my Battery Dead? Or??