2004 - 2008 F-150

Started installing my Procomp lift tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006 | 12:52 AM
|
Started installing my Procomp lift tonight. UPDATE *PICS*

Well i got the front end tore apart and my diff and steering rack dropped. Can start putting it back together tommorow morning. Then on to the rear.

I had a 2" autospring lift on my truck before the lift. After tearing the front end apart i find out that my upper ball joints are only weeks away from falling apart. I guess the autospring idea wasn't so good after all. Have to try and find new upper control arms tommorow. If not i guess it won't be going back together until monday.

Except for finding out that the upper ball joints were bad. This lift is super easy to install. Working by myself for 2 hours and it's ready to go back together . I'll update tommorow. With pics.

Last edited by powerage; 07-30-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2006 | 12:59 AM
Good luck man, your truck is gonna look killer when you're done, a day or 2 or 3 or 4, etc.. from now! Just kidding.. Too bad about the ball joints, hard to believe. Can't wait to see when you're done!

Old 07-29-2006 | 01:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

How many miles was the AS on? I'd like to get a 1.5" one, but I don't think it's worth it wearing out the ball joints.

Old 07-29-2006 | 01:25 AM
|
The autospring was on for about 25000 miles.

As for how long it's gonna take i don't know. Hopefully by sunday afternoon. The rear end is gonna take a little longer than normal because i have an aal to put in as well.

Old 07-29-2006 | 05:36 AM
I wouldnt say its easy yet because you havent put any of it on yet! Hahaha. As far as the ball joints get the Total Chaos upper arms, they are uni-***** and will never wear out.

Old 07-29-2006 | 10:30 AM
|
Well i have the crossmember's back on. I just have to put the Suspension assembly's back in. Which i have done quite a few times on other vehicles. So it should be cake. I was thinking about getting some of those uniballs but i wouldn;t have them until late next week and i want to get this thing back together this weekend so i can go on my holiday next weekend. Maybe i'll upgrade them later.

Old 07-29-2006 | 02:26 PM
Hey powerage i was wondering if your doing the procomp lift with the spacer or coilover lift? What are some of the rare tools involved in installing the kit? On a scale of 1-10 what would you rate the difficulty of installing the kit with 2 people? and sorry to hear about you ball joints, good luck installing cant wait to see pics of finished product. I would love to see some pics of the suspension underneath if its not to much of a bother when you get done

Old 07-29-2006 | 02:51 PM
Suspended
Powerage

Im glad to see I wasnt the only one whos ball joints were ruined after 20,000+ miles on the odometer. Do you take your truck offroading? Im curious to if maybe that could be a problem as well.

Last edited by ThumperMX113; 07-29-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-29-2006 | 03:14 PM
thats gonna be a sweet lookin truck!

Old 07-29-2006 | 03:19 PM
Truck should look good once your done, Im glad I didnt go with the autospring after hearing what it did to your ball joints. Good luck with the rest of it. Hey ROBAK, is it just the incline your truck is on or is the back sagging? Just wondering, I know there are actually some people who like that.

Old 07-29-2006 | 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by fordabbits
Truck should look good once your done, Im glad I didnt go with the autospring after hearing what it did to your ball joints. Good luck with the rest of it. Hey ROBAK, is it just the incline your truck is on or is the back sagging? Just wondering, I know there are actually some people who like that.
Ya, check out the roof of the house accross the street. I live on a pretty steep hill. Like you say, I parked in the middle of the street pointing uphill, but get this baby on level ground and it is bubble level center, I was very picky about that. I definately cannot stand that nose down look of the stockers.

Old 07-29-2006 | 03:32 PM
Off subject, but I just noticed most of the posters in this thread are 04 truck owners. I only noticed cause we dont have those funky round fog lights in front. Why the heck did they change that? I like our rectangle lens better.

Old 07-29-2006 | 04:39 PM
thats gonna look mean powerage!- wouldn't happen to have any pics of that uca joint would you?? now you've got me worried about mine...
j

Old 07-29-2006 | 07:03 PM
That's a shame to hear, as AS 2" or 2.5's were my next step (just put in the edge)...I really like the current look of your truck and was looking at doing something similar with my 04 Shadow Grey. I aslo do not care for the nose down look either, but not ready to go full bore with a 6" lift. I wonder if the newer style offset AS kits make any difference...

Old 07-29-2006 | 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by ROBAK
Off subject, but I just noticed most of the posters in this thread are 04 truck owners. I only noticed cause we dont have those funky round fog lights in front. Why the heck did they change that? I like our rectangle lens better.
As soon as these 04s came out I knew that in a couple of years, they would change the fog lights. Go back to 1997, remember those big fog lights the first trucks came with? Now fast forward to around 99, not round, but much smaller. I dont know if there is a pattern that has anything to do with it but thats just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Started installing my Procomp lift tonight.