2004 - 2008 F-150

2004 Xlt Lots Of Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006 | 08:23 PM
|
2004 Xlt Lots Of Problems

The front end shakes between 50-55 mph and has done so since 1,100 miles. I've had this truck in the shop several times. I regularly rotate/balance/align the tires nothing helped. At 26k miles, my tires were badly worn and I had to replace them ($650 total out of my pocket).

During my numerous visits, they've replaced: ring gear & pinion, throttle body, battery, brakes, and as of yesterday the drive shaft!

My neighbor up the street had the same problems with his '04 F150 and Ford actually replaced the vehicle because they could never fix it!

Has anyone else had these problems with an '04 model?????

I love my truck, but I'm worried that I may have a lemon. I'm thinking of trading her in.

Frustrated in Florida

Last edited by Florida150; 08-03-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2006 | 08:27 PM
no no no! if you have a lemon declare lemon law and get yourself a brand new 07! you wont get anything on a trade in for a lemon anyway

Old 08-03-2006 | 08:47 PM
Suspended
MY 04 F-150 was great in the First year, Than it just fell apart threw no fault of my own, what was the build date on your truck?
If it's not right now, It will never be.

Old 08-03-2006 | 09:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Florida150
The front end shakes between 50-55 mph and has done so since 1,100 miles. I've had this truck in the shop several times. I regularly rotate/balance/align the tires nothing helped. At 26k miles, my tires were badly worn and I had to replace them ($650 total out of my pocket).

During my numerous visits, they've replaced: ring gear & pinion, throttle body, battery, brakes, and as of yesterday the drive shaft!

My neighbor up the street had the same problems with his '04 F150 and Ford actually replaced the vehicle because they could never fix it!

I love my truck, but I'm worried that I may have a lemon. I'm thinking of trading her in.

Frustrated in Florida
If you've had this truck at the same dealer several times over with no resolution, I'd try another dealership.

If you did rotate and balance your tires regularly, and they still wore abnormally, they should have been replaced under the extended 3/36 tire warranty.

Old 08-03-2006 | 10:15 PM

Frustrated in Florida

Don't give up, I fought Ford for a year before they bought my 04 back for the same problem you are having.Look up your state's lemon laws. Mine was 3 attempts for a single problem.Be sure and save all your documentation. Make your dealer close out your ticket each visit. They may try to keep a single ticket open so that it looks like you have only been in for the problem once.
Also try to have your dealer Road force balance your tires. If they are out of range they should be replaced for free.

If your dealer is uncooperative, go to another one.

Old 08-04-2006 | 12:12 AM
I own a 04 XLT 5.4L and it now has 48K miles. Its been in service since 10/03 and I have never had a suspension or drivetrain problem. No vibrations, no dead batteries, or bad breaks. So not all 04's are bad. So far the only thing that has gone wrong is the window regulator in the driver's door. I recently (yesterday) replaced the stock Hankook tires, which still had 5/32nds of tread remaining, with Nitto Terra Grapplers.

Ox

Old 08-04-2006 | 12:20 AM
Ford changed coverage on tires... 3 yrs/ 36k miles warrenty.
I had mine replaced from ford at 35k miles it was ~1100 bucks covered under warrenty. That was on my 04 too.

Old 08-04-2006 | 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by TeckBargins
Ford changed coverage on tires... 3 yrs/ 36k miles warrenty.
I had mine replaced from ford at 35k miles it was ~1100 bucks covered under warrenty. That was on my 04 too.
where there anything wrong with the tires. what did you have to prove to get them under warranty

Old 08-04-2006 | 01:21 AM
they wore quickly and had to have them balanced a few times. BF Goodrich
Just walked into local dealership (not even one i bought from) and literally said "I want my tires replaced under warrenty, they are wearing too quickly". They said no problem, tires arrived a few days later.

Old 08-04-2006 | 10:26 AM
I would start the lemon law and in the mean time hit another dealer.

Old 08-04-2006 | 12:14 PM
The green light in the power window button went out on my drivers side control. And I had to do the third brake light replacement due to leak. Both were replaced around 30k miles.

Other than that I've had no problems. I'm at 43K miles.

Old 08-04-2006 | 12:43 PM
There is a TSB somewhere about the rack. I believe tightening the rack itself is part of it, and taking up backlash is the second. Either way, we do it here sometimes to avoid the dealership hum-drum and have been 99% successful in eliminating the steering wheel wobble, or 'nibble'. Also, it couldn't hurt to dynamic balance the tires, or road force and check for run-out or a bad tire. Static balancing is worthless, but very common. These trucks usually are out of spec even new (a good number of them anyway) concerning alignment, but that's usually just 'toe', not caster or camber, and easily rectified. More aggressive (ATS, etc) tires wear, or 'chop' quicker than normal street tread if there is a toe issue. Try tightening the rack where it mounts to the truck and check the tires and wheels with a decent dynamic/road force balance. Hope this helps......

Old 08-04-2006 | 03:58 PM
Question Steering wheel nibble-'05 F150

Hi-

Can you tell me what the precedure is to take the backlash out of the steering rack? My 2005 Lariat F150 has the nibble when speeds are increased, and balancing did not stop theis between 65-75 mph. Please advise
thanks-
Dave Christo

Old 08-07-2006 | 12:15 PM
Loosen the jamb nut on the rack, in the center of the jamb nut there is a 19mm set screw. GENTLY turn clockwise, gently gently, then tighten the jamb nut. If you get it too tight, it will be hard hard to steer. Also check the bolts that mount the rack to the truck. Hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2006 | 12:48 PM

Frustrated in Florida
I am unsure about the front coil-overs on the F150, but I have fixed many front wheel drive vehicles with the same symptoms by replacing the front struts. Check it out with the dealer and see what they think.

Quick Reply: 2004 Xlt Lots Of Problems