2004 - 2008 F-150

Chrome Step Bars

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006 | 07:34 AM
|
Chrome Step Bars

I have an ’06 Lariat w/ the chrome step bars. What is the best way to clean wax/polish them? I just don’t want them to rust like I have seen on other trucks and SUVs in the past.
Thanks!!

Old 09-21-2006 | 08:45 AM
If it were me, I would use the Meguiars All Metal Polysh on them to keep them looking their best.

http://www.meguiars.com/?chrome-alum...l-Metal-Polysh

Old 09-21-2006 | 11:39 AM
WD-40 works like a charm!

I use it on my exhaust pipes and nerf bars regularly.

The trick is to use a terry cloth with the WD-40 sprayed onto the cloth. Rub the area with a little elbow grease for a good minute or so. Let it sit for a miute or two. Give it another coat but this time rubbing gently because you want to leave a good amount of "film" on the surface. Let this film sit for several minutes [10-15mins] and then get a DRY terry towel or micro-fiber towel and GENTLY rub off the excess. Gently because you want to leave a very faint film of WD-40 on the surface for that shine and protectiveness. The corrosion and rust protection ingredients of WD-40 remain adhered to the surface applied to, long after the product dries and appears to no longer be "there."

Use this regularly [every wash or so] and you'll be amazed how the apllied surface looks better and better everytime. I had marks on my tail pipes that nothing removed until I applied the above method.

I've said it several times B4 and I'll say it over-n-over again, you'd be amazed how many things you can uise this [relatively] cheap product for [LINK]

Good luck.

Old 09-21-2006 | 11:41 AM
Word of caution: Be attentive NOT to apply that WD-40 onto the stepping [plastic] part of your bars.

Self-explanatory.

Old 09-21-2006 | 11:43 AM
Heavy Metal Polish....hands down the best I've used on all my chrome and metal (billet grill, chrome step-ups, grill surround, chrome bumpers, SS tips, chrome rims)

I found out about them from RockPick who is well know for his detailing abilities and products.

Odds are you won't find them in any of your local stores as they're a relatively small company.

EDIT: Just saw you live near me in MN, yeah they arn't shown here in MN.

However, you can order some from http://www.heavymetalpolish.com/

They have fair prices and ship quickly. I use the medium cut and it's perfect. Customer service was also awesome. If you have any question as to which product you need, simply call them up and talk to them about what you want to do. The lady I spoke with was very knowledgeable and suggested the medium cut and didn't try to "sell me the farm" of products but rather what I would need to get the job done.

Duke

Old 09-21-2006 | 12:31 PM
|
thanks for the info!!!
Never thought of using WD40....good idea

Old 09-21-2006 | 05:08 PM
One last thing: I've been using it on my Westin Ultimate Bullbar since I got it about three months ago. It removes the road grime, tree sap and bugs with [amazing] ease and has put a shine on it that makes it look a lot better than the day it arrived from the factory.

WD-40 has a tendency to leave some "steak" and/or "smokey" residue on chrome surfaces it's applied to. This is why it's important to give it one last gentle rub down.

WD-40's one drawback in this application is that the applied chrome surfaces have a tendancy to attract more dust. This is not very visible at first, but if left for sometime without regularly rubbing [California Car Duster works like a charm], it can build up. Not a huge problem but it may **** some people off. Not an issue with me.

Quick Reply: Chrome Step Bars