2004 - 2008 F-150

Woke up to a broken window!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woke up to a broken window!

I woke up today and and when I went out to start my truck, I went through my normal routine. Walk out the front door, walk twoards my truck ( i approach the passenger side), and use my remote to unlock the doors. Today howerver when I pushed the button an my remote I heard what sounded like a cat in a litter box. I thought nothing of it, but when I got to my driver door I noticed that the rear driver side window of my super crew was shattered. The first thing I did was a check of all my belongings. Everything was there. I started to look for a rock or something that may have been used to break the window but found nothing but a pile of glass on the outside of my truck. I looked inside the truc and found very little glass. So I am assuming it was not a break in.
I have been noticing a scratching noise from that window for the past few days, and it was also the coldest day of the year today. I have no clue what could have caused this.
Insurance is changing the window tomorrow. I hope it works out okay.
Has anyone else had this issue???

Old 12-01-2006, 01:33 AM
Make sure when they change your window that they check your lock linkage/rod to make sure it didnt break your window when you hit your remote.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:34 AM
azfordby4
Today howerver when I pushed the button an my remote I heard what sounded like a cat in a litter box. I thought nothing of it, but when I got to my driver door I noticed that the rear driver side window of my super crew was shattered.

mwheue
Make sure when they change your window that they check your lock linkage/rod to make sure it didnt break your window when you hit your remote.

Mwheue.... Your right on the money!!!

azfordby4...... What year is your truck?

Old 12-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe a dumb question but... I'm asking anyway...

What is the 'linkage/rod' and how could it break the glass when in the 'up' position?

Old 12-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick

What is the 'linkage/rod' and how could it break the glass when in the 'up' position?
Well I'm not sure if it's exactly called the linkage rod but the rod that is in the door for the lock.

The only way I could really see that rod breaking the window is if it came loose and you hit unlock or lock and the window was down.

Duke

Old 12-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Glass is amazing stuff. If the window was just a little out of adjustment and the cold weather may have combined to put some stress on the glass. Popping the lccks may have induced enough flexing in the door that broke the glass. Probably a million to one shot that all the conditions were right for it to happen.

Saw a similar thing years ago on a Plymouth wagon, only it was a very hot day. The car's owner pulled up, got out of the car and shut the door normally. He got about a step away and the back window exploded. No pellets, rocks or anything; it just happened...

Old 12-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've hit windows harder than any linkage inside the door ever could and haven't broken 'em.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:12 AM
tempered glass is strong, VERY strong. in fact glass is alot stronget than you think. but tempered glass doesn't crack it just shatters. which bites

Old 12-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Maybe start looking for a pellet or a BB!

Old 12-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by 04procompLARIAT
Maybe start looking for a pellet or a BB!
Agreed. That happened to my ranger in Pittsburgh many years ago. I suffered a "drive-by" from the local teenage thugs and a pellet gun. I did not find the pellet until months later during a cleaning of the interior. I suspected that from the beginning because the neighbor saw it happen to him the next night, then called the police.

Last edited by KSpencer; 12-01-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:36 PM
here is the update

My insurance sent a guy out to replace my window. He could not replace it due to the window regulator being broken. So i took it to the dealership to have them look at it. They said my extended warranty would fix the regulator but not replace the glass. Then my insurance did not want to fix my glass (even though i have glass coverage) because they though it was broken by the regulator. I finally got that sorted out.
I will be picking up my truck at the dealer with the new regulator intalled and no window. The new window will be put in tuesday at no charge.
I cant wait until this is over. I will just have to drive around for a few days with a piece of card board for a window.

Last edited by azfordby4; 12-01-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick

If the rod that goes into your lock **** comes out and then you hit your electric locks it can strike your glass on the bottom edge especially if the glass is up. Yes its hard to break glass, but if you strike it on the edge it's not nearly as hard to break.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:08 PM
FWIW - My brother beat on a car window with a 3-cell MagLight. Nothing. One decent tap with his steel expandable baton and the window shattered.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:26 PM
the porcelain or the white part of a spark plug will shatter a window if you tap on it with it.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Unhappy Found My window in the morning with the Driver side Blown out

Parked my car early afternoon Saturday and closed all the windows to keep the Pollen out. Weather was High 80's F. Sunday morning went out and the Drivers side window was blown out with a softball size hole and 90% of the glass on the outside of the Truck. 2007 F-150 XLT, just picked it up last week. Less than 200 miles.

When I called them I left a message to the salesman, but in less that 20 minutes the GM called and said they would take care of everything and that he knew of several Expeditions that had that issue with the rear window.

I smell a rat, seems it maybe a known issue. Plus Ford only is paying a portion for a rental. Glass not in stock and takes 3 - 5 days

Love the truck, but not a happy camper

Quick Reply: Woke up to a broken window!