2004 - 2008 F-150

questions on tires rims and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006 | 12:14 AM
|
questions on tires rims and shocks

I'm getting ready to order my Christmas present and had some questions.
This will all be going on my 05 lariat.
I'm going to go with the American racing Fuel 8 rim. 18 x 8.5.
I see it has 6" of backspacing. I think I have seen factory is 5.5". This would mean the new rim will only stick out 1/2" further correct?
As for tires it will be the BF goodrich all terrains. 30565r18.
Can I fit the 32565r18? It says 9.0" min on the rim but i don't want it stick out further.
Now for the level kit. I see I will need a 2-2.5" kit. I have seen on the forum that they can wear out your ball joints quicker. Can I use the rancho adj. coil over shock? Will I get enough lift out of it? Will this help with the ball joint problem? I know they are way more expensive than the level kit and I was wondering if it was worth the extra money?
Happy Holidays to all!
Looking forward to your reply's and help.

Old 12-15-2006 | 12:22 AM
Anytime you raise the suspension height of a truck through a coil spring more than a certain number of inches without using a dropped cross member you are going to be putting all of your angles in a bind. It may take them a while to wear out, but they will wear out quicker than normal. As far as the rancho shocks, I would get them if i were you. I might even be ordering some myself eventually. They will provide you with a smooth ride while achieving up to 2" of lift in the front end. Also check out the bilsten 5100 adjustable coilover shock. With the 2" of lift in the front you will be able to clear up to a 33" tire on that wheel without any rubbing. You could go as high as a 35" tire with minor rubbing. Hope that answers your question.

Old 12-15-2006 | 09:17 AM
I think the combo of those wheels and the 305/65-18 (34x12.50) BFG's (or a 325/60-18 tire) would look great with either the adjustable shocks or a standard 2 or 2.5 inch leveling kit.

Old 12-15-2006 | 03:23 PM
|
thanks for the tips!
I'm going to check out the Bilstens before I do anything.
I drive over an hour to work and back so the adjustable shocks may be in order.
I will post some pics when it's all done.

Old 12-15-2006 | 06:53 PM
Just to add and clarify the Rancho RS 9000XXX which are 0-2 1/2 " adj or any where inbetween where the blistens are like two points 1" and 2", I belive. If you watch Summit racing closely they may offer a deal as they did last year where if you buy the fronts and rears you get the in cab adjuster for free, so may be worth the look. Just fyi the guages in that adjustable set up are like 2" max so most of the a pillar gauge pods and the like will be to large. I am trying to work out a set up for them now. I found out the guage size the hard way.

Just my 2cents and hopefully help.

Quick Reply: questions on tires rims and shocks