2004 - 2008 F-150

ordering tonight...those with autospring..did you do the powdercoating option??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered mine powdercoated, since here in Wisconsin they love to use lots of road salt.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:47 PM
It also might be where I live, the temperature and the salt will kill the powder coat in a year or two. Think about it the powder coat goes over the bare steel and the powder coat is very thin only 1 mil. thick!! And just trust the powder coater got the steel is very clean. With paint you can use a metal etch primer or any other kind of metal sealer and then the paint just about as thick a you want it and even add a durable clear coat. And I would agree the powder coat will hold up better on a motorcycle or a ladder rack. There not being attacked like the brush guard or suspension parts with salt & rocks as well as the temperatures. The suspension parts after a year or two of rain & salt without washing or drying it like you would you motorcycle or latter rack will kill the powder coat. Therefore, paint will hold up better than powder coat on suspension parts. I can see powder coating the suspension on a show car but not a everyday ride. The paint will hold up so much better. I do know a little about paint and body & I’m not here to put down powder coat. It is good for something somewhere I’m sure. Like a washing machine or refrigerator. Just not my truck! By the way my brush guard and suspension parts came powder coated at the factory.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:52 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by FX4_Off_Road
It also might be where I live, the temperature and the salt will kill the powder coat in a year or two. Think about it the powder coat goes over the bare steel and the powder coat is very thin only 1 mil. thick!! And just trust the powder coater got the steel is very clean. With paint you can use a metal etch primer or any other kind of metal sealer and then the paint just about as thick a you want it and even add a durable clear coat. And I would agree the powder coat will hold up better on a motorcycle or a ladder rack. There not being attacked like the brush guard or suspension parts with salt & rocks as well as the temperatures. The suspension parts after a year or two of rain & salt without washing or drying it like you would you motorcycle or latter rack will kill the powder coat. Therefore, paint will hold up better than powder coat on suspension parts. I can see powder coating the suspension on a show car but not a everyday ride. The paint will hold up so much better. I do know a little about paint and body & I’m not here to put down powder coat. It is good for something somewhere I’m sure. Like a washing machine or refrigerator. Just not my truck! By the way my brush guard and suspension parts came powder coated at the factory.
I disagree but everyone has their opinion.

Well I guess the only thing I can say to you is that I'll agree to disagree since you've already made up your mind. Have a good holiday! :santa:

Old 12-25-2006, 04:47 PM
if you haven't ordered it yet, I'll sell you mine brand new in box, its the 2.5 AS lvl kit with the powdercoat option. I'll knock off the 12 dollars they charged for the powdercoat too. Reason I'm selling is b/c I tow a boat, and don't want the rear to sag lower than the front. let me know.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JNC995
if you haven't ordered it yet, I'll sell you mine brand new in box, its the 2.5 AS lvl kit with the powdercoat option. I'll knock off the 12 dollars they charged for the powdercoat too. Reason I'm selling is b/c I tow a boat, and don't want the rear to sag lower than the front. let me know.
How much???

Old 12-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Not sure, gotta check shipping, but around 100 bucks, thats how much they are if you buy without powdercoat.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are $93.95 shipped w/o powdercoat on Ebay.
They were only about $83 shipped when I got mine a few months ago.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:59 AM
I have some powder coated stainless steel step bars. The finish lasted only a year. You get one chip from a rock and then the road salt kills them. Bubbles, flakes, etc and these don't even rust. Hate to see if they weren't stainless. I'll pass on the powder coat. I am going to eventually get them redone with Line-X or something similar.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Thats right I forgot it was free shipping, sorry about that. OK 94 dollars shipped.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Let me know, I'm gonna put it in the classifieds, then the first person gets it.

Quick Reply: ordering tonight...those with autospring..did you do the powdercoating option??