2004 - 2008 F-150

Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NASSTY
Did you have a Troyer tune before you got the AF1?
yup

Old 01-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Well I would like to try a CAI just to see if it is worth all the hype. Does anyone have any used ones for sale so i can try one out? Hint. Hint. kdds05screw...

Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lets think about something here for a minute that has been beat to death over and over....Do you honestly believe that the Volant, or any other closed system that has its air intake limited to a 3 to 3.5 inch hole in the fenderwell is going to flow as much air as an open element system....NO WAY, just isn't going to happen...And for those that think the injested air on a closed system is cooler or denser than an open element system its evident that you have not done your homework. Only at idle while the vehicle is standing still will the air differential be noticeable. Also, the AF1 stainless intake tube will remain cooler and disipate heat quicker that ANY plastic intake tube. I have been there, done that , and seen the R&D results. I even shot the temperatures on a few of the tests....You have the right to believe what you may, but I will go with the facts everytime...

Old 01-08-2007, 10:57 PM
...Not to mention the airflow into the AF1 when the vehicle is in motion. Let's not forget the only reason you have cooling fans is when you are at idle.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:09 PM
anyone running the aem bruteforce?? i was leaning towards that one myself

Old 01-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
Lets think about something here for a minute that has been beat to death over and over....Do you honestly believe that the Volant, or any other closed system that has its air intake limited to a 3 to 3.5 inch hole in the fenderwell is going to flow as much air as an open element system....NO WAY, just isn't going to happen...And for those that think the injested air on a closed system is cooler or denser than an open element system its evident that you have not done your homework. Only at idle while the vehicle is standing still will the air differential be noticeable. Also, the AF1 stainless intake tube will remain cooler and disipate heat quicker that ANY plastic intake tube. I have been there, done that , and seen the R&D results. I even shot the temperatures on a few of the tests....You have the right to believe what you may, but I will go with the facts everytime...
If you looked through ANY of the lightning forums, where the guys are making real HP, everyone is pulling air from the inner fenderwell. The Volant is also pulling air from underneath the headlight. I'd like to see your edge numbers for intake air temps. Before my Volant i had the stock filter canister cut in half to expose the filter element and it was running 10 degrees ABOVE ambient temperature (both highway and backroad driving to be consistent.) With the Volant, my intake air temps are 3-6 degrees BELOW ambient temperature. those are HARD numbers. not to mention you're telling me that stainless steel dissipates more heat than a composite? You're talking about two totally different thermal masses. I mean, idle two trucks for 20 minutes, one with a stainless intake tube and one with a composite. tell me which one you could more easily touch.

You've got your numbers, I've got mine.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Well I guess just to shake things up I run an AFE stage 2. Anyone else running this one?

Old 01-09-2007, 12:32 AM
Let me chime in here. I've used three different CAI on my 2004 5.4 with Gibson ss shorty headers and Banks monster exhaust. First was the Airaid (around $300), little gain noticed. Second was the AF1 ($320), Great power increase (but I truly feel you need a tuner to prevent Check Engine Light) And third is the K&N FIPK ($200), noticeable power increase, good price and no CEL. As for the sound referred too, it's a fairly loud sucking noise that comes from under your hood when you go WOT. It seems to make exhaust tone a little deeper as well. It's a good sound if you like hearing engines rev.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by Dribone
If you looked through ANY of the lightning forums, where the guys are making real HP, everyone is pulling air from the inner fenderwell. The Volant is also pulling air from underneath the headlight. I'd like to see your edge numbers for intake air temps. Before my Volant i had the stock filter canister cut in half to expose the filter element and it was running 10 degrees ABOVE ambient temperature (both highway and backroad driving to be consistent.) With the Volant, my intake air temps are 3-6 degrees BELOW ambient temperature. those are HARD numbers. not to mention you're telling me that stainless steel dissipates more heat than a composite? You're talking about two totally different thermal masses. I mean, idle two trucks for 20 minutes, one with a stainless intake tube and one with a composite. tell me which one you could more easily touch.

My '01 Lightning made 490hp/618ftlb torque, ran 12.00's @ 115mph
My '03 Cobra made 485hp/500ftlb torque, ran 11.22's @ 121mph
BOTH with open element air intakes drawing air from under the hood...
Go figure !!!!!
I said that stainless disapates heat quicker.....And I don't have the Edge, I use a custom tuned XCal2.....

Old 01-09-2007, 07:48 AM
I believe it, but why would a company like Volant make a system like they did if it's not competing performance-wise with the other intakes on the market?

Old 01-09-2007, 10:29 AM
There are a lot of different manufacturers out there that make a lot of different aftermarket products, some good and some not so good. I am not saying that the Volant is not a good product, all I am saying is that with the test rersults that the AF1 is creating more power.And that there is a belief by many that since the Volant and several others are a closed system that it therefore draws colder air than an open system, which has been proven to be false.. Closed systems have thier place in the market, but they do not and will not normally provide as much air flow as the open systems...
Someone asked about the AEM Bruteforce earlier in this thread. I have witnessed that particular intake system on the dyno and it also makes some nice numbers..Every open system I have seen has out performed all the closed systems I have seen dynoed.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Dribone
Before my Volant i had the stock filter canister cut in half to expose the filter element and it was running 10 degrees ABOVE ambient temperature (both highway and backroad driving to be consistent.) With the Volant, my intake air temps are 3-6 degrees BELOW ambient temperature. those are HARD numbers.
How does your Volant have intake temps that are below ambient temperature. Does it have an a/c unit with it or something?

Old 01-09-2007, 03:00 PM
nope, just from the inner fender into the box, through the tube and into the TB.

When I had forced induction through a hood scoop, temps were 10-15 degrees below ambient when driving. in traffic they would jump 30 degrees above. when I went to the Volant, the numbers were more consistent.

I noticed if i'm sitting in a lot of traffic, temps my be 5-8 degrees above ambient with the Volant

Old 01-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Hey Dribone, try driving your truck without the lid on the Volant intake, and you will see what the difference is. This is why mines lidless untill i can find a chump to buy mine....

Old 01-09-2007, 08:18 PM
proof

Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
There are a lot of different manufacturers out there that make a lot of different aftermarket products, some good and some not so good. I am not saying that the Volant is not a good product, all I am saying is that with the test rersults that the AF1 is creating more power.And that there is a belief by many that since the Volant and several others are a closed system that it therefore draws colder air than an open system, which has been proven to be false.. Closed systems have thier place in the market, but they do not and will not normally provide as much air flow as the open systems...
Someone asked about the AEM Bruteforce earlier in this thread. I have witnessed that particular intake system on the dyno and it also makes some nice numbers..Every open system I have seen has out performed all the closed systems I have seen dynoed.
marc- how bout the gentleman that left with a af1 once he saw what it did to his volant numbers?-phil

Quick Reply: Air Intakes