2004 - 2008 F-150

Need advice for nice sound system

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ieee_raider
I buy most of my car audio from www.sounddomain.com ... they have a 105% price match policy and also include wiring and dash kits free with h/u purchase.

Anyway, to the question at hand. Get a quality aftermarket h/u - something from Pioneer or Alpine, perhaps. Read reviews and find a unit that drives the speakers well without the need of an external amp. $200 should suffice.
Get a single 10" under-seat box for about $180.
Get a 10" woofer for around $100
Get a mono amp for around $250
Get sound deadening for the doors - around $50~$100
Wiring $75

You should be able to build a basic, good system for $800 or so. Just look for good deals and don't pay full price for anything.

Check the links in the post... I found some decent deals... especially the amp...

**edit - I forgot front speakers... get a nice set of components... around $150.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
Thump I can tell you never worked retail sound sales
100% of the profit comes from what we can politely call' rooking' the customer.
This does not apply to guys doing it on their own, owners of small operations, etc.
It most definitely applies to places like Best Buy, Fry's, Circuit City and very much the local stereo shop.
The way it sounds in the store only matters if you are putting it in exactly the same cabinet, in the same sound proofed room and powering it with the EXACT same system.
It gets worse, much worse.
In retail sales today there is a lot of pressure to sell certain items. On a given day one or another item will be on a promotion.
This is not a sale.
This is when the vendor/maker/jobber tells the management he wants you to sell a bunch of say speakers for example.
There is a new line coming in, they lost a contract, whatever. So the staff is instructed to sell that model. Or to NOT sell a model.
Some units have 2-5 times the profit of others. This depends on lots of factors, cost, production, contests...
Yup contests.
The one who sells the most XYZ speakers this month goes to Hawaii. Or the Jobber whose stores sell the most VLJ speakers this quarter gets a new car.
The salesman is usually on commission or worse, has a quota he must meet or he doesn't work there anymore, and is usually discouraged from selling the sale merchandise, or the leaders, or anything with a low GPM (gross profit margin).
So he tries to push things that he needs to sell. This is in addition to the Halo effect of everyone wanting to sell the one he bought, or wants to buy...
Some of the 'best' gimmicks I've seen in the last couple years include;
Sale merchandise TV's with half the coax clipped. Nasty picture, which will suddenly look great when it goes off sale and they ‘fix’ the coax.
Sale speakers with hole punched in them to sound fuzzy.
Sale speakers with resistors packs on the back.
This was at a local chain store. They have a small resistor pack they swap around to the speakers they don't want to sell that lowers the speakers output about 50% while the sale is on.
After the sale they swap the resistor pack to the next one on sale...
Sometimes they loosen the screws that hold the speaker mount on the sale speakers. Makes them buzz nicely.
This stuff is old hat in retail stereo sales. If you sell the sale item, it does not come off of your quota. Plus, you get no commission.
Best bet is do lots of research on line if you are gonna spend the big bucks.
Type the model number of whatever you are interested into google and take a long read.
Couldn't hurt...
Chris
WOW Chris either you have quite an imagination or have been burned or fired from a retailer and still hold quite a grudge. I have worked in the retail market for both a major retailer and for a local stereo shop for over 18 years, and I must say I have never seen the actions described in your conspiracy theory yet.
1 I maintain being one of the top retailers/expeditors of a major aftermarket brand of electronics and have yet been offered a car or trip to hawaii.
2 properly listening to sets of speakers on a sound board can give you an indication of what is simply crap and what has quality. How many speakers can you listen to over the internet?
3 most of the sales leaders of speakers actually hold the highest gpm and are the same as the big internet sales.
4 I would be embarased to turn on a set of speakers that buzzed or farted when the volume was turned up, and would fix it as soon as the customer left, or even in front of him if that was a speaker they were actually looking to hear.
5 A smart salesman would sell something to a customer if the customer so desired it regardless of whether or not there was a commision because the next item the customer bought may bring even more commision than what he thought. Building a repore with a customer will reward you much more than a 1 time slam sale.
6 And I will let you in on a big internet secret google and/or any other search engines are driven by MONEY. The largest advertisers are always listed first. And yes internet companies actually do write some of their own reviews
The best advice I can give is, find a retailer that is actually an enthusiast and is willing to take the time to not only answer your questions but educate you on what you should be looking for. I would also support that retailer since they are the ones putting in the effort. And don't be afraid to tell them you saw a cheaper price somewhere and let them work with you on it. Another great place to find that advice is on an enthusiast driven forum like this. There are many true enthusiasts on this site that are willing to help. I would recommend posting some of your questions in the audio section cause it won't limit you to viewers of just 04-07's, and sometimes this section gets sooo much traffic your specific questions might get lost in the shuffle.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by TXScrewZHD
Brypink is the jedi you seek. In the audio forums, find him you will.
Or if you're cheap (or on a budget) and can do it yourself with the factory HU for awhile... check the link in my signature.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Heres the best advice anyone can ever give you about buying speakers. .

Go to an audio store. Listen and find out what you like, a lot of people have very many different tastes. Once you find out what you like you can either haggle with them or go directly online and buy and install it yourself.

I've got Infinity 6x8 components up front with Infinity 6x8 coaxles backed by a 440.4w amp as well as an Eclipse AVN5435. I think my set-up sounds pretty damn good but I'm not that big of an audiophile. I've got a supercrewsound.com box sitting in my room for two 10s as well as two Elemental Design Kv11s and a NINe.2 amp. I just need to get it all installed, I'll let you know how it sounds.
Thumper, did you ever get the supercrewsound box installed. im looking into those and a few others.. just want some feedback on the box, finish, and how the subs turned out. thx.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Find what you like. Use http://pricegrabber.com. just type in the model number and click search. You will find some unbeliveable prices from many different vendors. Just make sure to read the fine print. You may see that some items have been refurbished. And also watch out for shipping costs. Also use http://crutchfield.com as a guide for specs and to see if it will fit and user reviews.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by nothinbutaford
snip. I have worked in the retail market for both a major snip I have never seen the actions described in your conspiracy theory yet.
I wonder if you have ever worked big retail. Not private shops but commission for big chains. And not franchise stores, which are mom-and-pop with national advertising.

The largest corporation I worked for did not engage in this, but I had managers that came from many local Cal-Nev-Ari stores who wanted to do these things. It was a normal, respected way to do business.

If you think this sort of stuff doesn’t happen and all the sites talking about it and the books written on the subject are mistaken or faked; I congratulate you being a rarely honest man who only expects the best of others.

1 I maintain being one of the top retailers/expeditors of a major aftermarket brand of electronics and have yet been offered a car or trip to hawaii.
Our division spent 250,000 per year on perks for 512 managers. And that does not include really great stuff from vendors and even charities. Cars are not rare, and trips are small potatoes.
Even the bank my wife worked at gave away trips regularly to the management.

2 properly listening to sets of speakers on a sound board can give you an indication of what is simply crap and what has quality. How many speakers can you listen to over the internet?
You should always listen to the speakers. And ignore the salesman. Listen to the same speakers at more that one place.

3 snip.
I don’t really follow this sentence? If you are referring to GP margin, I don’t connect it. Are you saying the prices are better at any local store? Sure, in the center of Manhattan, or LA, but not 70 miles from the big cities.
Lots of small operations have a pretty narrow GP as they pay more than the big vendors, and their overhead is much higher in proportion.

4 I would be embarased to turn on a set of speakers that buzzed or farted when the volume was turned up, and would fix it as soon as the customer left, or even in front of him if that was a speaker they were actually looking to hear.
And you are an honest salesman. Hopefully you make a good living.

5 A smart salesman would sell something to a customer if the customer so desired it regardless of whether or not there was a commision because the next item the customer bought may bring even more commision than what he thought. Building a repore with a customer will reward you much more than a 1 time slam sale.
I spent 12 years trying to convince a large corporation that rapport with customers would be beneficial. On the other side of the argument were the bean counters that say “make a sale, turn the best profit in a month, the customers you lose are not as important as the monthly bottom line”… I’m gonna have to say I lost.
But I still think taking care of customers is the right thing to do.

On the smart salesman line, sure, but I don’t meet too many ‘smart’ salesmen at Circuit City… I do meet a lot of college kids, druggies, and people who’s ID shouldn’t be subject to too close a scrutiny. Must be a different where you are.

6 And I will let you in on a big internet secret google and/or any other search engines are driven by MONEY. The largest advertisers are always listed first. And yes internet companies actually do write some of their own reviews
Gee, that sounds like a conspiracy theory. Or maybe you had a bad experience…
Of course you are right, and I’m kidding, but look at your first line to me…

The best advice I can give is, find a retailer that is actually an enthusiast snip some good advice. Another great place to find that advice is on an enthusiast driven forum like this.
I’ve been to about twenty local stereo shops and frankly; they work on being really friendly, and SELL SELL SELL. Their market seems to be young kids.

It would be nice if you could talk with the installers, but only the sales force speaks English, and mostly little of that. Where you live English isn’t a minority language.

There are many true enthusiasts on this site that are willing to help.
Best place in the world are the forums
And your technical advice is among the very best.

If you had a local shop and I wanted something done, I would undoubtedly have it done by you.
But you don’t live on my street… and folks like you are much rarer than you give yourself credit for.

Chris

Quick Reply: Need advice for nice sound system