2004 - 2008 F-150

tractor supply toolbox

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tractor supply toolbox

I got a new toolbox the other day and it's the chest style that sits down in the bed. I was wondering for those of you that have this kind of box how are you keeping water from gettin in there? Also I would like to stick some treated 4x4s or something under there to raise it up and level it out with the bed rails. Any idea what I could use to do that?

Old 01-29-2007, 07:52 PM
think you just answered that one- some treated 4x4's? dont know about the water issue
or get some steel C-Channel then you could build a riser, bolt the C-Channel to the bed, and the chest to keep it more secure.

hey do you have any pics? I am considering dumping my Rollbak and going to a toolbox

Old 01-29-2007, 07:55 PM
treated 4x4s might not be a bad idea. The only problem might be that if you haul a lot of things in your bed, the wood might get kind of chewed up.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:00 PM
i ahve been thinking of getttin one of those also my tonno cover just isnt doing it for me anymore, how do you secure those in the bed??

Old 01-29-2007, 11:55 PM
I have the toolbox out of my Ford Ranger in my F150. Of course it didn't fit across the bed rails, so I built a frame out of angle iron and bolted it on to the bottom of the box. It sits nice and flush with the bedrails. I then glued some rubber off a mud flap to the bottom to keep the metal from rubbing my bedliner.

jrbhc8

Old 01-30-2007, 02:47 AM
Get a back rack for your truck... $269. They bolt on w/o any drilling, and you can secure your toolbox to that. Plus, it protects your back window and looks amazing. Check out my gallery...

Old 01-30-2007, 03:12 AM
Originally Posted by XtremeFORD09
Get a back rack for your truck... $269. They bolt on w/o any drilling, and you can secure your toolbox to that. Plus, it protects your back window and looks amazing. Check out my gallery...
I've already got one of those. My toolbox is the chest style and it doesnt sit on the bed rails so the Back Rack wont do me any good there.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

If you're looking for a chest style toolbox you need to stop looking at TSC and look at UWS. I love mine, and no problems with water at all.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by tardman91
If you're looking for a chest style toolbox you need to stop looking at TSC and look at UWS. I love mine, and no problems with water at all.

Thats exactly what im lookin for right there, I just cant decide between the chrome or black finish, Im thinkin black but my bedliner is red to match the truck. Where did you find that one at?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Sounds like he's already got the box. You could try some weather stripping around the top if you think the water is coming in from there. If you are worried about water seeping in from underneath (at the mounting points), you could try to find some rubber grommets or even put some silicone over the bolt to seal off the hole.

As to lifting it, the treated lumber or metal frame idea sounds pretty good to me.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by FX4life
Thats exactly what im lookin for right there, I just cant decide between the chrome or black finish, Im thinkin black but my bedliner is red to match the truck. Where did you find that one at?
I got this one at a truck shop while I was living in Tallahassee. If you got to UWS's website they have a dealer locator. Search for it. UWS = United Welding umm... Services? I think. They are based in Perry, FL, I believe.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:11 PM
I got this one at a truck shop while I was living in Tallahassee. If you got to UWS's website they have a dealer locator. Search for it. UWS = United Welding umm... Services? I think. They are based in Perry, FL, I believe.
how did you mount that? so it wont move around

Old 01-30-2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by 06FX4
how did you mount that? so it wont move around
There's 3 bolts along the back side of the box into the back wall of the bed, along with a little silicone caulk to seal each one to protect against water/rust, neither of which have been a problem in the 16+ months I've had in on there.
The only downside is that you can't slide things underneath the box, but that hasn't stopped me from lugging around 8 foot sheets of aluminum soffit and various moldings for home improvement.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by captain morgan8
I got a new toolbox the other day and it's the chest style that sits down in the bed. I was wondering for those of you that have this kind of box how are you keeping water from gettin in there? Also I would like to stick some treated 4x4s or something under there to raise it up and level it out with the bed rails. Any idea what I could use to do that?

I just mounted a chest style box in my truck and all i did was yoused from self taping bolts through the bottom of the box into the bed. Used a big washer and put some silicone in the hole and on the washer so it was nice and sealed.

You can bolt the 4x4's to the box to give you some height and alow you to slid some stuff under the box. Then you can attach the box to the back wall of the bed or if it is high enough you might be able to attach it to your back rack.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:09 PM
There's 3 bolts along the back side of the box into the back wall of the bed, along with a little silicone caulk to seal each one to protect against water/rust, neither of which have been a problem in the 16+ months I've had in on there.
The only downside is that you can't slide things underneath the box, but that hasn't stopped me from lugging around 8 foot sheets of aluminum soffit and various moldings for home improvement.
o i see, well idk about that i dont want to have to drill holes in my bed lol

Quick Reply: tractor supply toolbox