add-a-leaf

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question add-a-leaf

I'm comparing add-a-leafs

And it seems that the pro-comp add a leaf is longer but is only 2.5" wide
The skyjacker leaf is shorter but is 3" wide

I have a 2005 fx4 and pretty sure I need a 3" wide leaf. I was wondering if I’m totally off with the ProComp leaf width and secondly s their anywhere else I can get an add-a-leaf from?

Prices and location to buy would be appreciated

Thanks in advance for your time and reply. Sorry for the improper grammar

Old 02-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Thumbs up

I'm interested in what you have to offer.

Was wondering if you have a website or if you could give me more information on your add-a-leafs (cost, specs, ex.)

Old 02-01-2007, 06:33 PM
I always just toss the add a leafs that come with lift kits and put my own in but I can also arch if need be. Website is www.generalspringkc.com sell mostly leaf springs on there but have an add a leaf section just put 3" wide under ford and I'll know it's a 04-07

Old 02-01-2007, 07:01 PM
do these come with center bolts and u-bolt or is it just the pair of leafs

Old 02-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Comes with centerbolts, your ubolts will be long enough but I can ship you out some if you'd like, we bend them here

Old 02-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A question by me... does an add a leaf add weight capacity to the truck? and how much does it lift the back end? I am looking for 2-21/2 inches of lift and added capacity would be nice.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by KansasJoe
I always just toss the add a leafs that come with lift kits and put my own in but I can also arch if need be. Website is www.generalspringkc.com sell mostly leaf springs on there but have an add a leaf section just put 3" wide under ford and I'll know it's a 04-07
Does your AAL give any rear end lift

Old 02-02-2007, 01:42 AM

Do you do lift shackles for the rear?

I have an 07 2wd that I am using a leveling kit for the front, and wondered if its better to add an AAL for the rear or a lift shackle.

Let me know, I'd be interested in getting something from you.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:55 AM
Banned
DJM has a rear lift shackle, part no. SH3200. It is roughly 60 bucks.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:15 AM
I've already got a pro comp add-a-leaf in the rear... would adding shackles SAFELY give me any additional lift in the rear?

Old 02-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by BestNTx
I've already got a pro comp add-a-leaf in the rear... would adding shackles SAFELY give me any additional lift in the rear?

Yes.

I did the same thing in my last truck. Already had the AAL and just needed a little more lift, and the shackle was fine, as long as you don't do any serious hardcore off-roading.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:36 AM
For your questions an add a leaf will give you around 2" and increase the load capacity by 900-1200lbs depending on gauge of steel you use. As far as lifting shackles I don't sell and would think those would have to be some pretty short shackles in order to get any height out of them. You could probably just drill a hole in your current shackle about an inch down and grind down the middle section a bit to where the spring eye would fit in order to obtain a little height. I think either adding a leaf, switching out to bigger block, new lifted leaf springs or lift hangers would be the proper way for height depending on if you have a lift kit or are just looking for some height from stock height but not thinking lift shackles would be the way to go just seems like it would compromise strength.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:42 AM
For your questions an add a leaf will give you around 2" and increase the load capacity by 900-1200lbs depending on gauge of steel you use. As far as lifting shackles I don't sell and would think those would have to be some pretty short shackles in order to get any height out of them. You could probably just drill a hole in your current shackle about an inch down and grind down the middle section a bit to where the spring eye would fit in order to obtain a little height. I think either adding a leaf, switching out to bigger block, new lifted leaf springs or lift hangers would be the proper way for height depending on if you have a lift kit or are just looking for some height from stock height but not thinking lift shackles would be the way to go just seems like it would compromise strength.

But it would change the handling, no? What I mean is making the ride stiffer?

So you have something in an AAL for an '07 2wd that would give me some extra clearance?

I mean, the only reason I would think a shackle might work is in my last truck is seemed fine, and I never really was hard on my truck either off-roading or hauling anything.

So what do you suggest for me with a 2.5" AS?

Last edited by aftermarket; 02-02-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:49 AM
I'd go with either add a leaf or bigger block. If you stick around a 323 gauge then the ride stiffness will increase slightly but you won't even notice it after a couple days. If you go with a full size add a leaf you'll have a better ride than with a short little thick add a leaf because you'll get more flex out of a longer leaf

Old 02-02-2007, 10:22 AM
I bought the pro-comp aal and returned and got the skyjacker instead (forunately I live close to summit racing). The pro-comp leaf is longer and requires you to remove the spring pack clamp (pain in the ***). Also it doesn't come with u-bolts. The skyjacker comes with u-bolts as well as centering pins. The leaf is shorter and doesn't require removal of the spring pack clamps. The skyjacker also appeared to be higher quailty.

As far as the ride I hardly noticed a difference. I have an FX4 and 2.5 AS. It retained a slight rake to the front.

Quick Reply: add-a-leaf