2004 - 2008 F-150

Screw or Ext. Cab? Which one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007 | 11:17 PM
|
Screw or Ext. Cab? Which one to get?

I'm about to be in the market for a new pickup, and am trying to decide between a Screw or Ext. Cab (this transaction will officially make me a Dodge convert, by the way). We probably won't have our first kid for at least another year. I will want to maintain an active lifestyle (camping, short trips, etc.). I like the idea of the extra space in the back seats, but I realize that sacrifices bed length. Those of you with the 5.5' bed, do you find yourselves missing that extra foot for cargo? Does it matter that much for a non-work truck?

Based on your experiences, what are the pros/cons of the Screw vs. Ext Cab?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-04-2007 | 11:22 PM
get a supercrew with 6.5 ft. bed!

Old 02-04-2007 | 11:24 PM
I have a Screw with a set of 2 yr old twins. The extra space is great with kids, if your planning on having a kid in a year or so decide how long you want to have the truck. I bought the screw because I had two rear facing carseats at the same time and couldnt fit them into a xcab. Also you do know that they make a screw with a 6'5" bed now for the Screw. I have the 5'5" bed and have no problems at all, I carry a quad, snow blower etc. and no probs when going to the home store. I love mine and would buy it again tomorrow (just not black) if I had to, Good luck.

Old 02-04-2007 | 11:25 PM
I have a supercab with the 5.5ft box so I can answer both of your questions. First the reason I bought this combo is it is the only version with a backseat that will fit in my garage. Others are too long. The backseat is by no means spacious but it works and access with the rear suicide doors is excellent. Also the supercab has a longer front door which moves the "B" pillar away from your head and gives better visibility. The supercrew with the shorter door puts the "B" pillar right by your head. As for the bed, I don't do heavy duty hauling but I do haul with it and I have never had a problem. The bed extender has proven invaluable as well. This truck was an excellent decision for me and I have no regrets. Good luck in whatever you decide. Here is my truck

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-04-2007 | 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by RyanW2427
I'm about to be in the market for a new pickup, and am trying to decide between a Screw or Ext. Cab (this transaction will officially make me a Dodge convert, by the way). We probably won't have our first kid for at least another year. I will want to maintain an active lifestyle (camping, short trips, etc.). I like the idea of the extra space in the back seats, but I realize that sacrifices bed length. Those of you with the 5.5' bed, do you find yourselves missing that extra foot for cargo? Does it matter that much for a non-work truck?

Based on your experiences, what are the pros/cons of the Screw vs. Ext Cab?

Thanks in advance.
The length of the bed shouldn't matter if you don't do any hauling (like myself). I had a 2003 extended cab and the suicide doors were kinda a pain after awhile. Considering you plan on extended your family in the near future, you should look at the screw. jmo.

Old 02-04-2007 | 11:35 PM
I say go with the Screw if you are planning kids. We have a 3.5 yo and a 1.5 yo, and the Screw is so much handier. I haul quite a bit in the 5.5' bed when going camping and don't really have any issues. I occasionally wish for an extra foot, but not as often as I appreciate the shorter length when parking. Good luck with the truck and the future family!

Old 02-04-2007 | 11:45 PM
I'm just copying and pasting from one of my old posts about this topic. So, some opinions may have already been expressed.

SuperCrew or SuperCab body, and why?
What do you haul ... people of stuff in the bed? The SCrew has quite a bit of room in the back seat. You won't hear many complaints when taking the co-workers to lunch nor the family on a trip. Babyseats and kids are much easier to handle with four full doors as well. With a SCab, you're only limiting your interior space (IMO). Some folks used to complian that they needed that extra foot of bed space. Like I said, get it if you need it. The SCrew now has the normal bed size as an option ... just hope you have a big garage or plan to park it outside. Just you, your dog, and the wide open country all the time ... then you can get away with a SCab.

Been to a dealership yet? Sit in all models ... SCrew, SCab, Lariat, Lariat 4X4, FX4, etc. Sit in the front, the back, etc. You'll figure out what you want/need soon enough. And don't forget to take the significant other and any rug rats you might own. Good luck in making your decisions.

Old 02-05-2007 | 12:40 AM
I love my supercab and like the suicide doors but if you are planning on being a family man why not just get the best of both worlds and get the screw 6.5 bed? I looked at a screw before i bought mine and i dont regret it but i have no plans for a family. my brother has riden in the back seat for 3 hours and he is 6 foot 215.

Old 02-05-2007 | 12:46 AM
I'm digging my Scab, I liked the lines better on the Scab's then the Screw's.

Old 02-05-2007 | 12:48 AM
Go with the screw, you will be glad that you did.

Old 02-05-2007 | 01:43 AM
Go with the Screw. The Scab is good but-When I drive for lunch its tight and with my nephews car seat it isn't as comfortable for either of us.

Old 02-05-2007 | 10:42 AM
SCrew all the way. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 02-05-2007 | 10:44 AM
I prefer the Screw

Old 02-05-2007 | 10:56 AM
I prefer the scab!

Old 02-05-2007 | 11:12 AM
My situation was a little different (already had one kid), but I bought my SCrew almost a year ago for probably the exact same reasons you are considering one. I traded up from a Ranger SCab. My parents came up for my son's second birthday and the SCrew made the best choice. It gave my family a second vehicle that offered more seating options, but it still allowed me to have a truck.

As to the 5.5 ft bed, I have no problems with that either. In fact, this weekend I had some friends come over and help clean out a bedroom so my son can move into his "big boy" room (yeah... we are expecting kid # 2 so the nursery has to be available in April). We loaded a queen sized bed and frame in the back no problem, then all 5 of us (wife, 2 friends, and son in his car seat and me) went to the storage shed and then out to eat. Everyone was comfortable, even my 7 month pregnant wife.

I do agree with what Gordo said. Go test them all out. Sit in one, get a feel for it. There is the option now for the 6.5 ft bed. But for me, if I had to do it all over again, I'd get the same thing I have now.

Last edited by Nytehawk; 02-05-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Screw or Ext. Cab? Which one to get?