2004 - 2008 F-150

Off road capable 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=cskrmetti Besides, I've been mudriding in a FWD 86 cutlass ciera.

now thats funny

Also, for you to say why don't I go and get a 4x4 is like me asking you why don't you have rear lockers, front LSD, straight axle conversion and go rock climbing. You are obviously doing more things to make your 4wd more capable to do things that it can't or wasn't inteded to do in stock trim. That is all I am talking about doing with my 2wd. I'm not going to enter the local mudbog, just looking for some creative or insightful answers.[/QUOTE]

quite the opposite i havent done one thing to my 4x4 to make it "more" capable it does just fine for what i do with it.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by cskrmetti
I don't need 4x4 as I just explained. Given the situations that I just stated there isn't any reason you could get through in a properly equiped 4x2.

yet you got "stuck" on wet GRASS. i can guarantee you my 4x4 would NOT have gotten stuck on wet grass...even with crappy continental tires that you got from the factory.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:54 PM
I've driven in a wet grassy field and through mud n sand (almost go stuck in the sand) with my 4x2 w/ stock bfg long trail T/As and I've gotten good traction on all. Never gotten stuck before.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Make yours like mine, and it will be capable off road...

Old 02-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by 5.4-FX4
yet you got "stuck" on wet GRASS. i can guarantee you my 4x4 would NOT have gotten stuck on wet grass...even with crappy continental tires that you got from the factory.
This was a weird situation. It was during a severe downpour. I pulled into a coworkers yard all the way to the end of the driveway which ended at a tree. The truck was pointed downhill so the rear was nearly one foot higher than the rear. We were there for about two hours and when I went to leave, I couldn't get any traction in reverse. I could not go forward because of the tree. Instead of ****ing around in the rain for a few minutes, the guy's whose house it was threw a tow strap on the rear hitch and just gave it a slight tug. I probably could have gotten out of there but it was much easier to keep as dry as possible and just pull it back about 2'.

Originally Posted by moose3776
quite the opposite i havent done one thing to my 4x4 to make it "more" capable it does just fine for what i do with it.
I'm failing to see your point, especially since this wasn't directed at you. But trust me there is plenty that your 4wd can't do in stock form. Especially if you have open dif in the front and rear. It may do everything you need it to and congrats if it does

Its funny how the title of this thread is how to make a 2wd more capable NOT how to make it a badass mudbogger. Its also funny how almost no one has had a useful or relevant response.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by cskrmetti
.... Its also funny how almost no one has had a useful or relevant response.
I can see your point about frustration on the useless, self-absorbed "hey look at me and what I have done" posters....but there have been quite a few good suggestions relevant to your post. I know it's hard to read through all the BS, but there are some guy's giving you good suggestions on "YOUR" thread.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by 5.4-FX4

I think he said wet grass + reverse + up hill. That is a rough combo for a rear 2wd. Weight is sitting on the wrong end. Zero traction.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Suspended
I'll throw my two cents in there. .

I'd get a GOOD set of all-terrains, locker or a good LSD in the rear, leveling kit or even new coilovers if you're budget can afford it. An AAL for the rear as well as new rear shocks. I bet you'll be able to make it any where you want to go with that set-up.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Sackett
I can see your point about frustration on the useless, self-absorbed "hey look at me and what I have done" posters....but there have been quite a few good suggestions relevant to your post. I know it's hard to read through all the BS, but there are some guy's giving you good suggestions on "YOUR" thread.
That is why I said 'almost no one.' There have been some good suggestions but there has been a few that say 'get a 4x4.' The question is how to make a more capable 2wd.

I'm thinking that leveling the vehicle either through spacers up front or dropping the rear would really help with the weight transfer. Combined with AT's that should give sufficient traction for a 2wd. A true locker in the rear would make a huge difference.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Yep, i'd say you were on the right track. I'd definitely start with the less-expensive options first (Not that A/T tires will be cheap, but you'll need them anyway). I'd have to second the previous poster suggesting the Bridgestone A/T Revo's! Those are a good looking tire. Also, if you have 18" rims, you might want to take a look at the Hankook M/T's that Discount Tire sells.

I'm taking my truck in tomorrow to get the rear diff checked because the LS is definitely not working! So, to answer one of your previous questions, the stock LS works great when new, but I beleive as the fluid breaks down, the LS loses it's function as well.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:01 PM
wow, everyone is so standoffish...my new word. Basically, i think what the 4x4 guys are saying is that you only have 2 major options on making your 2x4 more capable...because it is limited in it's capabilities. everyone knows a 4x4 will go more places, thats a given. kinda the old addage 2 heads are better than 1. i have an 05 4x4 with LS, 5.4....i've only used the 4x4 a couple times...but my ls did very well actually on ice the other day, and never touched 4x4...i was very impressed. i drove a 94 nissan pickup for 8 years 2x4 ofcourse, and it did OK, but even with aggressive tires, it got stuck a few times, and yes even on wet grass. i don't think you should get mad at the guys for suggesting the 4x4...cuz based on the sand comment, wouldn't hurt. but, you can only do what you can do to your 2x4...but with that said, i have seen lots of 2x4s hold their own....good luck with yours...heres to not getting stuck

Old 02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm not trying to go anywhere remote. Just want better traction in some slightly loose stuff.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:21 AM
Okay, I'll put in less than 2 cents - I've got a 4X2/LSD plus take-offs from a FX4 (BFGs) I bought a Shurtrax bladder and filled it just before a snow "storm." Eight inches in less than two hours during rush hour in the Seattle area is a storm.

I was home when it started, my wife was at work. She got stuck, spent the night at her office. I left at 5:30 am the next morning to get her and the car. Went up every hill, past coutless 4X4 and AWDs. I was surprised just how well the 150 handled. Go for it - that combo works for me.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by vader716
I think he said wet grass + reverse + up hill. That is a rough combo for a rear 2wd. Weight is sitting on the wrong end. Zero traction.
yep, he sure did. but then he went on to state that a 2wd could pretty much do anything a 4wd does. just letting him know that a 4wd would not have needed help, (or struggled), to get out of the situation he described.

Last edited by 5.4-FX4; 02-19-2007 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Off road capable 2wd