2004 - 2008 F-150

Fastest you can drive in 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BalogUK
fine, whatever. lets play childish school games.

I dont think anyone here has yet to tell BrokeJoker to go 80+ mph. those of us who did post, shared our personal experiences with our trucks. I have taken my truck up to 85 mph before in 4hi. My truck suffered no ill-effects from such driving. This driving was done on a highway, where the driver is essentially driving in a straight line. The binding and other 4hi problems that may be experienced by driving on dry pavement have more to do with turning. in such situations the front tires would move at different rates in relation to the radius of the turn being attempted, and are designed keeping in mind that one or more tires is slipping. If you were driving the French or Swiss Alps on dry pavement, you may very well expect some binding damage to occur as these roads are seldom straight, however when going straight, such as you may be doing on a typical US highway, your front tires are moving at nearly the same speed- thus preventing damage to the 4x4 mechanism. It is also common in drag racing that 4x4 vehicles use 4hi. due to the increased traction provided.
Thats perfectly acceptable, all I wanted to inquire about was road conditions and why such a thing would warrant use of 4wd at such a rate of speed. If you simply stated that in the beginging then I wouldn't have posted such a response.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BalogUK
This thread is about the F150 operability in 4x4- it is not about your opinion of the driving styles of those posting- If you wish to discuss personal driving methods, do so in an email or in a PM. Without firsthand knowledge of the vehicle conditions, road & weather conditions, no validity is carried hereforth.
9 yrs of experience both stateside and international, not a single accident, one improper passing violation. Yup, I'm just a kid (23) with no "real time" under my belt.

Thanks for the resume, but seriously….you don’t even qualify for cheaper insurance. Sorry for provoking you into having your Hulk panties bunched up. I love it when people try to argue how safe they THINK they can drive in the snow at highway speeds. 4x4 or not. Oh, and by the way, I’ve been driving LONGER than you’ve been on this planet. Both in Europe and all over the US.

Again, sorry for offending your irrational driving habits in severe weather. In the end, can’t we all just share a hug and get along? You are considered an adult, so you drive at whatever speed you feel you're comfortable with. I'm just giving my 2cents. It may be very useless change, but it's an open forum.

Last edited by rms8; 02-13-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Someone needs a diaper changed, Im just not sure if its the old guy or the young guy!

Old 02-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordabbits
Someone needs a diaper changed, Im just not sure if its the old guy or the young guy

Old guy Gee, thanks. I don't like to think of 38 as being old. Maybe older than you, but not "old". :o

Old 02-13-2007, 05:19 PM
I should have been clear on my post. Normally I don't drive that fast in 4wd on ice, I'm usually in 2wd when cruising at those speeds. With the extra power and the new gears, I wanted to see how the throttle response felt, so I got on it in 4wd and before I new it I was over 100mph. I mentioned this to explain that speed is not an issue while in 4wd. I think his concern should be more directed at safe plowing speeds rather than if his truck will handle being able to go certain speeds in 4X4. That answer will depend on the terrain and surfaces that he is plowing.

disclaimer:
I have 15-16 years of experience driving, which includes 5-6 months per year on snow/ice covered roads, please don't try this in your own vehicle.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Settle down kids geez, I would really like to see all of you guys in a conference room for a b*tching session, that would be quite interesting. I was in a really crappy accident in Indiana in 2005 and let me tell you it doesnt matter if its 2wd or 4wd black ice is black ice and IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW FAST YOU ARE GOIN YOU WILL SPIN OUT OR THE TRUCK WILL TEND TO SLIP.

I could care less if you are young or old or if you have been driving for freaking eons accidents will happend TO ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Banned
Change the topic.

Speaking of 4wd.. has anyone launched in 4wd, equal half shafts my ***. Torque steer pulls like a son-of-a-bitch to the right.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by a n t h o n y
Change the topic.

Speaking of 4wd.. has anyone launched in 4wd, equal half shafts my ***. Torque steer pulls like a son-of-a-bitch to the right.

Yes Sir, I found that out a few times beign that I'm young and dont know any better and I am a danger to old people who drive slow.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by SuperSport1985
Yes Sir, I found that out a few times beign that I'm young and dont know any better and I am a danger to old people who drive slow.
Now if that isn't a provoking comment I dont know what is (although a smart *** comment and everyone now knows youre joking...still provoking)

Old 02-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by NHSP-06
Now if that isn't a provoking comment I dont know what is (although a smart *** comment and everyone now knows youre joking...still provoking)

Hey man I'm just goin with the flow "some people" here say that old people get picked on well I was picking on young people ie me.

Quick Reply: Fastest you can drive in 4x4?