2004 - 2008 F-150

Leer 700 Series: Very bad experience so far

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Leer 700 Series: Very bad experience so far

Hey guys,
Well i needed to vent so i guess ill do it here.
3 weeks ago i took the next step in my trucks evolution, a brand spanking new Leer 700 series bed cover (black of course). I went to the local Leer dealer and placed my order. 1xbed cover 1xlight 1xremote entry 1xblack headliner. Great! paid cash and got it order. Was told 2 to 3 weeks to arrive....
mmm the excitement. 2.5 weeks later I get a call. Sweet, its in. So i leave my truck to get the lid installed and sometime towards the end of the day i get a call from the dealer. "i have some bad news, looks like when the guys were cleaning the cover, the discovered a scratch on it, that judging by the looks of your truck, you would not be happy with. This leaves us with 2 options, either send the cover back to leer or discount it to you." Well in my mind i paid GOOD money for this cover and i just want it like i ordered it. I asked him if there was any reason that Leer would object to having it repaired locally at the Ford dealership. The call was made and they shipped it to the Ford dealership. Fast forward to Friday.
The cover was ready to be picked up from ford so i drop off my truck at 1430 and tell them to git er done. I probably wont be back till after 5 so leave the keys in the truck. I arrive and pickup the truck, the lid looks great, then i start to look around. Something that looks like bug guts (dried and crusty) is all over the passenger edge of the cover, there are little things that look like pocks on the back (very small but visible to the **** eye) and on the top there are light spots (looks like the clear coat bubbled or something).
I just paid over a thousand dollars for what looks like a used freaking cover.
I went home, cleaned off the guts to find more blemishes, on the corner and more on top.
This is sickening, you can bet your butt im going to be in there monday. What do yall think? I think im going to ask that they have the whole thing repainted. It needs to be sanded prepped and painted from scratch. Oh yah one more thing....leer forgot to send my keyless entry. wtf?

Give me your thoughts!!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Shoulda sent it back and made them express ship it. And DAMMMMMM, that sucks.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn i would be pissed. I hate when stuff like that happens!! Raise HELL!!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Why didn't you just let them send it back to Leer? You could have most likely avoided all this. It sounds like the issue is more with the dealer that fixed it.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:04 PM
My tri-glass cover had bug guts on the edge too. They are trasported on open trailers and its the edge thats in the wind as it trasported so all the bugs hit that side. Luckly mine just washed off.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
seriously take pictures, with a time stamp ASAP other wise they may say you had a weekend of fun with the cover, and its yours to keep.....

and that does suck. But in the future, if you see something you dont think is right, dont hesitate to ask about it before you take full delivery and drive off!
-Patrick

Old 02-23-2007, 11:25 PM
thats blows.... thats why I didn't pay 1200+ for my x2000, instead I bought a blem from a guy off ebay for 300 bucks, it had one nice dime sized crater in it and no hinges..... watched abay and found the einges for 30 bux! (priced those out to be 500) and paint was about 250 so for about 600 bucks I got a $1200 tonneau

Old 02-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
seriously take pictures, with a time stamp ASAP other wise they may say you had a weekend of fun with the cover, and its yours to keep.....
No reputable company will claim this..... not too sure about Leer though.

It's a well known fact within the industry that, while Leer products may be fine, their customer [return] service is nothing short of pathetic. This reason alone is why I shrugged them off prior to purchasing my tonneau cover. Anybody can manufacture a product - very few can provide a [follow-up] service.

Anyway.... Get that returned and demand a brand new one; absolutely do NOT settle for anything less!

Place a small pin-indentation or mark somewhere [modestly inconspicuous] on the one you have to make certain they haven't sent you the same one back. If they have, go crazy white school-by in a trench-coat on their ***!

Good luck.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:38 PM
I've got a similar but not as serious issue with my Snuglid. It came fairly well packaged with foam and inside a huge cardboard box. Somewhere along the way it got a knick in the paint. There were parts floating all around inside the box. I filed a claim with Roadway and they offered a $33.33 check to cover the damage. I should be able to use touch up paint to fix it, but when you pay $1300 you expect perfection. Also, Snuglid didn't send the keyless package and I had to wait two more weeks for that to show up. There's a few other flaws with the weather stripping I'm not pleased with, again I expected near perfection for the price paid. I haven't been able to get help and a nice day to get thing installed, it's been sitting on stands in the garage for a month and I'm getting antsy to get it on.

Hope you get your situation straightened out saxgod.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks guys, i am definitely going in gangbusters on monday, Ill be polite but i am either walking out with them ordering a new lid or with all my money. The next leer dealer is approx. 1.5 hours from me and i sure dont mind driving.

Ill let yall know how it turns out.

later later

Old 02-24-2007, 06:40 PM
I would throw a fit.

I had 0 issues with my Leer. Sounds like a dealer problem and not a manufacturer problem?

Mine took 4-6 weeks to receive. I was told Leer makes to order.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, i can say i had a pretty good experience with leer. i ordered my leer 700 and it cam in but had an odd cut on one side...did not match from side to side. Actually leer dealer caught the problem and called leer after several tries to re-adjust to no avail. he took pics and sent them to leer who in turn said they would build me a new cover and they di, letting me keep the original until the new one came in....no problems with it......basically a good experience

Old 02-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by medic2586
well, i can say i had a pretty good experience with leer. i ordered my leer 700 and it cam in but had an odd cut on one side...did not match from side to side. Actually leer dealer caught the problem and called leer after several tries to re-adjust to no avail. he took pics and sent them to leer who in turn said they would build me a new cover and they di, letting me keep the original until the new one came in....no problems with it......basically a good experience
thats awesome...i think thats what i want them to do also..ill see if i can keep the one on my truck until the send me the new one. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Leer 700 Series: Very bad experience so far